Steersmart Steering installed JLUR, no change

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Funny. Not going anywhere. Lol the quality and weight difference from oem to the steersmarts was rediculous. I mean, the quality difference is obvious, so not regretting a thing. Just wish it would have solved my issue
:giggle:Was worth a shot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the full set-up (Drag, tie, trac) - all godd, but get's warmer and now wander...gotta air down!
What are you running your tires at? I keep mine at 36-37 (enough to keep the TPMS happy)

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I was rocking 36 cold, just dropped to 35. With the warmer weather they were around 37/38 cold. (315/70r17). 35 seems fine though there’s a thread where folks are running 32.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I was rocking 36 cold, just dropped to 35. With the warmer weather they were around 37/38 cold. (315/70r17). 35 seems fine though there’s a thread where folks are running 32.
I run mine 29-30 cold - do a chalk test don’t guess

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Your side walls must be bulging pretty noticeably if your are running under 30 and not off-roading..
I have driven jeeps for 25yrs - I routinely get 40-50k miles on my tires as a weekend warrior - do a chalk test. 30psi with 33-35” tires is pretty common.

I usually run around 15psi off-road If I need traction on rocky terrain.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
28-32 PSI is the norm. Start at 32 to see how it feels. Lower from there.

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
I just blew about 1800 on steersmarts draglink and tie rod with all the necessary brackets (included a hefty cost for install) The intent was to achieve tighter steering and fix some of this steering drift I get at highway speeds. Well, the results were less than impressive. If anything, I think there might be even more play, so now what? Open to ideas... stock height JLUR with 35’s.. rides great, but steering is weird. My 5th Wrangler, so I know how these things ride. At high speeds, it feels like I am swerving a ton, and constantly making corrections (not little ones, feels like I’m actually turning the steering wheel more that a degree or two). Thoughts?
Caster perhaps? I’ve read 5.05° is perfect for the Sahara. Clayton off-road swears by upper controls to fix caster, most people on here do lowers. I have similar play on my MOAB (Sahara), going to try the Yeti track bar and the Teraflex Alpine adjustable control arms.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JL_John

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just blew about 1800 on steersmarts draglink and tie rod with all the necessary brackets (included a hefty cost for install) The intent was to achieve tighter steering and fix some of this steering drift I get at highway speeds. Well, the results were less than impressive. If anything, I think there might be even more play, so now what? Open to ideas... stock height JLUR with 35’s.. rides great, but steering is weird. My 5th Wrangler, so I know how these things ride. At high speeds, it feels like I am swerving a ton, and constantly making corrections (not little ones, feels like I’m actually turning the steering wheel more that a degree or two). Thoughts?
I had Death Wobble and loose steering after a pretty hard wheeling trip. Did the same thing and ordered the full steersmarts kit and it had no impact. Definitely better parts, but still had steering issues. Took castor out to 7 degrees and set toe in a 1/8" and it took care of my issues.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I had Death Wobble and loose steering after a pretty hard wheeling trip. Did the same thing and ordered the full steersmarts kit and it had no impact. Definitely better parts, but still had steering issues. Took castor out to 7 degrees and set toe in a 1/8" and it took care of my issues.
Did you go with adjustable upper or lower control arms to adjust castor? What was your castor showing before going to 7 degrees?

JL_John

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Did you go with adjustable upper or lower control arms to adjust castor? What was your castor showing before going to 7 degrees?
I already had adjustable arms on top and bottom. Was around 5.5 before adjustment

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
How much lift do you have? Isn't your pinion angle horrible?