smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Look brother,

At the end of the day - the dealership isn't doing anything wrong. It's considered standard practice. Dealerships don't usually go that route because customers hate it - but they aren't doing anything wrong.

Either find a different location or authorize the amount. They won't charge you upfront - so don't worry about refunds. Just sign the paper - they will diagnose the issue - and if it's warranty (which is 99.9999%) then you're free and clear. If they somehow say it's not a warranty issue - just contact Jeep and leave the car there on their stall until they figure it out. Dealerships hate idle cars that take up stalls.

I speak from working in a service dept. myself.

Good luck!
Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Look brother,

At the end of the day - the dealership isn't doing anything wrong. It's considered standard practice. Dealerships don't usually go that route because customers hate it - but they aren't doing anything wrong.

Either find a different location or authorize the amount. They won't charge you upfront - so don't worry about refunds. Just sign the paper - they will diagnose the issue - and if it's warranty (which is 99.9999%) then you're free and clear. If they somehow say it's not a warranty issue - just contact Jeep and leave the car there on their stall until they figure it out. Dealerships hate idle cars that take up stalls.

I speak from working in a service dept. myself.

Good luck!
I agree. The fight is if they try to deny the claim, not the authorization. If the OP is confident he didn't cause the problem, then this should be a non-issue.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
First of all. It is a Jeep Wrangler that has a "Trail Rated" badge right on the side of it. Any warranty that is voided due to being muddy is laughable if true. I don't agree that it is. Now, if you take it in caked with mud, there is a likelihood that the service personnel will be less than thrilled.
Have you not read this thread? Where has it been stated anywhere that his warranty was being voided? The dealer has only indicated they want him to agree to a diagnostic fee that he will be charged in the event the failure is not covered under warranty.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. The fight is if they try to deny the claim, not the authorization. If the OP is confident he didn't cause the problem, then this should be a non-issue.
Like any story I'm sure there is a possibility there is more to it than is being told or shared. It's not hard to imagine messing up a manual transmission while playing in the mud. I'm not implying that is the case here, however it is something that can easily happen.

OP
OP

jeepblogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The mud comes from muddy roads on the way to my house. But how would I mess up a manual transmission in the mud?

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The mud comes from muddy roads on the way to my house. But how would I mess up a manual transmission in the mud?
There's multiple ways, but that's not the point.

The dealership just didn't communicate well. Call, verify it is only a charge if they find abuse, authorize it on that condition, and off you go.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't get your undies in a twist there sparky, I don't recall you specifying where the mud came from.

Splashing through small mud puddles on a road, likely not going to do anything to your Jeep.

Fording through deeper mud puddle, that increases the risk as water can get into places where it's not supposed to be which can cause damage.

Playing in straight up mud, well, pretty easy. You get stuck, you're a throttle jockey with the skinny pedal trying to get out with puts undo stress on the transmission and clutch depending on how thick and nasty the mud is.

Again, not saying that's what you did, just that it can happen. Just because it's a Jeep and four wheel drive does not mean it's invincible.

Case in point, a guy in my club got is backhoe stuck in a field on his farm. He drove his wife's JK out to try and get it unstuck. Instead of turning the Jeep around hooking up the recover strap to the rear he was lazy and hooked it up to the front recovery hook and trying yanking the backhoe out in reverse. That didn't end well for him as he twisted his front drive shaft into a large pretzel twist. More amusing was when they brought the Jeep to the dealer in an attempt to have it covered under warranty.

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Re: improper shifting... I believe the owner’s manual says that if you move the shift lever to too low of a gear while cruising at highway speed, even if you don’t let off the clutch, the transmission can be damaged. I can only assume that’s because it might make something spin too fast like synchros within the transmission.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hmmm, warranty diagnostic fee I've only had 27 Jeeps with factories under different owners, Kaiser Jeep, AMC, Chrysler/Mercedes FCA and Etc. Three of these 27 Jeeps had serious warranty problems, all had off road use, never any fees or questions, just fixed. In fact one a GC Overland was eventually replaced after serious warranty work! That one, instead of a "lemon law" suit "Chrysler" charged me $2k for a year newer replacement CG, the replaced one had 31K on the odometer and a few months left of warranty, seemed a good trade off for my trouble!

Folks may be right about the possibility of a "diagnostic fee" if proven no significant abuse beyond the "Trail Rated" business he'll not pay? I myself have never heard of this here in Taxachusetts. Could of course be new FCA ownership. I am having a warranty replacement rear window no questions asked (rear window defroster repaired three times!) ! Also no rear windows available, back ordered since January!

Might wanna question "Jeep Cares" see what they think, they are a great help!

Good luck Go Jeep!!!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Re: improper shifting... I believe the owner’s manual says that if you move the shift lever to too low of a gear while cruising at highway speed, even if you don’t let off the clutch, the transmission can be damaged. I can only assume that’s because it might make something spin too fast like synchros within the transmission.
So I guess engine braking is a big nono then.

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Have you not read this thread? Where has it been stated anywhere that his warranty was being voided? The dealer has only indicated they want him to agree to a diagnostic fee that he will be charged in the event the failure is not covered under warranty.

It was a generalization based on other comments about making sure that you wash it off before taking it in so that you don't give them any ammo against you. Did you read the thread? Settle down.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It doesn’t take 9 hours to drop a manual transmission and determine if it has been abused - there are known issues with the slave cylinder and throw out bearings in this transmission - even if driving style is rough a new transmission shouldn’t fail and render a vehicle inoperable at 5k miles - you shouldn’t have to pay a dime under a 3yr 36k mike warranty unless abuse is obvious or it is obvious that an aftermarket mod caused the failure - if you can’t see anything obvious to cause failure how can you justify a $1235 pre authorization charge.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
At no point should a dirty undercarriage negate or incur additional costs within your warranty - this is a Jeep not a C class - a lot of people live in the country and drive daily on dirt roads - we shouldn’t have to have an immaculate vehicle for warranty work.
Sponsored