Soft top install for a 2-door Rubicon

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Anybody have any advice on installing the soft top on a 2-door? Mine came with a hard top and i bought a soft top. I would really like pictures of the mounting brackets (mounted), from what i can gather they go on the outside of the Jeep, while a 4-door they go inside under the plastic molding you remove. Also, and tips would be helpful on loading it on the mounts. Plenty of info for 4 door, not many for 2 door models.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Anybody have any advice on installing the soft top on a 2-door? Mine came with a hard top and i bought a soft top. I would really like pictures of the mounting brackets (mounted), from what i can gather they go on the outside of the Jeep, while a 4-door they go inside under the plastic molding you remove. Also, and tips would be helpful on loading it on the mounts. Plenty of info for 4 door, not many for 2 door models.

Thanks in advance!
Here's a link to the installation manual in case you don't already have it. Somewhat helpful...

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862736.pdf

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Here's a link to the installation manual in case you don't already have it. Somewhat helpful...

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862736.pdf
I did get instruction sheets with the top, but this link you gave me is much easier to read, plus I can magnify areas!

First top I couldn’t install, one of the “locks” wouldnt budge and even the parts guys couldnt do it. They ordered me a new top. Hopefully the next one will install easier.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota

Thanks in advance!
I actually just installed mine this past weekend. The install itself is pretty straightforward. My biggest advice, do it on a warm day in the sun. I installed mine when the temp started in the 60's but started dipping in the 50's and I was not able to get the top to stretch far enough to lock down in the front and the windows wouldn't seat very well. Decided to wait until the next day to finish the install. I let it set in the sun for a few minutes (temps were back in the 60's) and top front locked into place and the windows installed fine. My recommendation would be to install on a 70+ degree day and in the sun. Shouldn't be hard in Orlando. ;):like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I actually just installed mine this past weekend. The install itself is pretty straightforward. My biggest advice, do it on a warm day in the sun. I installed mine when the temp started in the 60's but started dipping in the 50's and I was not able to get the top to stretch far enough to lock down in the front and the windows wouldn't seat very well. Decided to wait until the next day to finish the install. I let it set in the sun for a few minutes (temps were back in the 60's) and top front locked into place and the windows installed fine. My recommendation would be to install on a 70+ degree day and in the sun. Shouldn't be hard in Orlando. ;):like:
When you installed yours did you take it completely out of the protective bag before installing? Also, did you lay it down on the back of the tailgate and then bolt it up? If you know what i mean.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you installed yours did you take it completely out of the protective bag before installing? Also, did you lay it down on the back of the tailgate and then bolt it up? If you know what i mean.
1) No, I did not take the protective cover off. Since it's velcroed on, you don't have to. Quite frankly, it may not matter if you do, but I didn't want it to start unfolding when I was lifting it into place.

2) Yes, you can lay it down on top of the tailgate. It has weight but it's not THAT heavy. However, just be mindful of your defroster and window wash tube. I wanted to make sure I didn't break those when I was setting it in place.

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
1) No, I did not take the protective cover off. Since it's velcroed on, you don't have to. Quite frankly, it may not matter if you do, but I didn't want it to start unfolding when I was lifting it into place.

2) Yes, you can lay it down on top of the tailgate. It has weight but it's not THAT heavy. However, just be mindful of your defroster and window wash tube. I wanted to make sure I didn't break those when I was setting it in place.
Thank you for that, so just lay it back there and hook it up. Did you have any problems with the side locks? Like i said earlier, one of mine was not able to move..hence the parts department are getting me a new one. One more question, what does that latch on the back flap do? Does that enable you to release it from the locked position?

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for that, so just lay it back there and hook it up. Did you have any problems with the side locks? Like i said earlier, one of mine was not able to move..hence the parts department are getting me a new one. One more question, what does that latch on the back flap do? Does that enable you to release it from the locked position?
The first time I unlocked the right hand side lock, it was a little tough to move, but then it locked fine. I think it was just the initial unlocking that was a little tight.

Could you snap a picture of the "latch on the back flap"? Not 100% sure I know what you are referring to.

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The first time I unlocked the right hand side lock, it was a little tough to move, but then it locked fine. I think it was just the initial unlocking that was a little tight.

Could you snap a picture of the "latch on the back flap"? Not 100% sure I know what you are referring to.
I dont have the top, waiting on a replacement. I think the latch I’m talking about releases it from the sun rider position to let you go all the way back.

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Update, got my new top today and installed it, finally! Tight stretching it over to latch it, but lucky for me I am in Florida, so setting in the sun for a few hours helped. I am almost too embarrassed to admit it, but maybe will help somebody down the road, i had the brackets on the wrong sides! I hate Mopar instructions, all pictures...well i just didn’t look closely, but a few written instructions, warnings..etc would have been nice.

Anyways, love the Safari mode!
Sponsored