Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So you are saying a much more expensive variant of a vehicle will sell for slightly more money in the used market? I think i need to subscribe to your financial blog.
No, I believe it continues to have a higher percentage of residual value dollar for dollar.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at an online build of a Jeep with everything that I wanted from a Sahara, the LED lights, the 8.4 inch Uconnect and the cold weather group. In British Columbia, Canada a 2019 Sahara comes to $62,192 CAD after sales tax.

A 2019 Rubicon is $67,850 CAD, so a $5658CAD differences, It seems like the extra equipment and capability of the Rubicon is worth much more than that price difference so why would someone want a Sahara over a Rubicon when it seems like you're getting so much more for your money? What options or capability does a Sahara have that you can't get with a Rubicon?
Off the lot Sahara 18 JL's here in Toronto are being heavily discounted. Turbo for $43,999.

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/jeep/...04/?ncse=no&orup=2_15_332&pc=M5E 1E6&sprx=100

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Really? I thought the CV joints couldn't handle the stress of a locker.
Time will tell..

Not worried about it since we do no hardcore off-roading here

Humvee's use them too so thats also a bit comforting :p

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Really? I thought the CV joints couldn't handle the stress of a locker.
Considering all export rubicons come with CV joints and lockers, I'm pretty sure the FCA engineers have already tested this one out... hopefully.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
that $5000 difference is actually more like $1000 once you start upgrading parts, your rubicon take offs are worth their weight in gold on the used market. but Sahara take offs?? Crickets.
Some of them are. I got an entire take-off set from a Rubi (Rubi shocks, springs, arms, etc.) with less than 1,000 miles on them for $200. Rubi wheels/tires are going for $1,000, which is reasonable considering the tires alone are $1,000+ new at tire shops. Agree that Sahara take-offs wouldn't be worth much, unless someone who has a Sport/Sport S wants the Sahara bumper or wheels.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Personal opinion - Rubicons and Moabs are the coolest looking STOCK JL's. If you have the money, nothing wrong with buying one just based on looks.
Now based on function/value for money,get a Rubicon if you want to keep your Jeep stock and do moderate trails. If you like modifying your Jeep and want to do hardcore trails, probably best to buy a Sport and upgrade. Of course Sahara with AWD is a better option for on road winter driving and has a slightly better interior.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
So I’m suppose to spend an extra 6k to have something I will never use? Scratching my head. Kind of like when my wife gets a coupon for buy one get 50% of a second Toaster. She didn’t save 50%, she spent 50% more on something she didn’t need. I’m cool with having a Jeep I will never drive through Moab...i don’t need to spends extra just to say I have a rubicon. My bloods red, I breath oxygen, and I will die just like the rest of the Jones

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I’m suppose to spend an extra 6k to have something I will never use? Scratching my head. Kind of like when my wife gets a coupon for buy one get 50% of a second Toaster. She didn’t save 50%, she spent 50% more on something she didn’t need. I’m cool with having a Jeep I will never drive through Moab...i don’t need to spends extra just to say I have a rubicon. My bloods red, I breath oxygen, and I will die just like the rest of the Jones
The thing is.. never say never, I thought the same before I purchased my JLU Sahara, "I'm never going to off-road anyways, this is overkill" actually even before I was looking at Wranglers I was almost going to pull the trigger on a Subaru Forester because I thought all I'm going to do is drive on snowy roads during the winter. But fast forward half a year later, proud owner of my JL, got it modded and lifted, I'm looking for off-road trails, buying backroad maps, joining 4x4 clubs, planning for my Jeep off-road adventures every weekend. So, yes your lifestyle will actually change as you move forward and adjust with what you have.

So in hindsight, yes I never thought of going off-roading because that was the old me who didn't own any off-road capable vehicles, but now I did, I can see myself going to more serious off-road adventures. Now, I'm planning to trade in my Sahara for Rubicon sometime down the road to adjust to my newly-found interest.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm out on the Sahara 4wd system. Auto 4wd is abad system, in my opinion. For it to work, it has to use clutches in the transfer case. If you use Auto 4wd, those clutches are going to wear out. If seen several vehicles over the years where people used the Auto 4wd a lot, and the transfer case was going out, because of that. i bought a Rubicon over a Sahara. To me the Sahara is girl Jeep. Yes it is very capable, and the Rubicon will do way more than I am comfortable even trying. I'm looking at resale value also. In 2 years when I get trade for a new one, I'll lose very little money. Used Sahara's just sit on the lot.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm out on the Sahara 4wd system. Auto 4wd is abad system, in my opinion. For it to work, it has to use clutches in the transfer case. If you use Auto 4wd, those clutches are going to wear out. If seen several vehicles over the years where people used the Auto 4wd a lot, and the transfer case was going out, because of that. i bought a Rubicon over a Sahara. To me the Sahara is girl Jeep. Yes it is very capable, and the Rubicon will do way more than I am comfortable even trying. I'm looking at resale value also. In 2 years when I get trade for a new one, I'll lose very little money. Used Sahara's just sit on the lot.
If you really care about resale value you should get a base 4-door Sport.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
5k is a lot of money. personally i will never use my jeep off road, lift it or change rims. It will stay stock with some minor appearance changes. I wanted the most refined jeep i could buy so the sahara was it.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Only benefit I see are:

The presence of LSD on the Sahara.
Sahara also more smooth on the roads (tires fitted).

Selec Trac is on both Sahara and Rubicon where I live, so no benefit to the Sahara on that

Other than that, Rubicon all the way..
That's trippy, you can seriously get auto4wd in a Rubicon over there? I wish they'd do that stateside!