Big Bend Park

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Mercedes GLC, 2018 Ford Expidition
Has anyone been out to Big Bend National Park or the state park? Headed out there in two weeks, looking for some input before I head out there.
Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I made a trip in the JL in November. What would you like to know?

OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I made a trip in the JL in November. What would you like to know?
There any places you would recommend going to? Thank you

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There any places you would recommend going to? Thank you

Well there is a lot to do in the park. We spent 5 days and didn't get to everything on our list. Here are some highlights:

Hike the Chisos
Complete Black Gap honer trail (don't forget to checkin on the honor app to get your badge)
Sanata Elena Canyon
Hotsprings

Are you planning on camping in the backcountry or the larger campsites? I would definitely recommend backcountry if you are up for that I have some sites I could recommend.

OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well there is a lot to do in the park. We spent 5 days and didn't get to everything on our list. Here are some highlights:

Hike the Chisos
Complete Black Gap honer trail (don't forget to checkin on the honor app to get your badge)
Sanata Elena Canyon
Hotsprings

Are you planning on camping in the backcountry or the larger campsites? I would definitely recommend backcountry if you are up for that I have some sites I could recommend.
Have a house in Terlingua that a buddy owns we are staying at. Going to try to hit the state park and national park. Will be there 5-6 days. I really do appreciate the input on this.

Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's sweet! It's beautiful country. Enjoy it.

Oh I would also recommend the physical map made my Nat Geo. It's regularly updated and super well done. We used it more than our phones since reception is really spotty or nonexistent inside the parks. Link below

https://www.amazon.com/Bend-National-Geographic-Trails-Illustrated/dp/1566952891/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1R11E6XBOW1YV&keywords=big+bend+national+park+map&qid=1553878746&s=gateway&sprefix=big+bend+,aps,161&sr=8-1

Ok great thank you very much. I purchased this last week from amazon and have gone through highlighting the trails that I knew of. I really appreciate your time.

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Big Bend National Park is one of my favorite places in Texas (possibly the world). You'll have a great time and be able to see so many stars at night. Have fun!

OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend National Park is one of my favorite places in Texas (possibly the world). You'll have a great time and be able to see so many stars at night. Have fun!
Thank you!! Do you have any trails or sites that are must see? It’s been 25 years since I have been there. So I’m definitely excited about getting down there.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)

Check out Chris’ video he just uploaded it.

Sponsored

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thank you!! Do you have any trails or sites that are must see? It’s been 25 years since I have been there. So I’m definitely excited about getting down there.
In my mind, these are a must if you do nothing else (in no particular order):

• Hot Springs Historic Area (take your bathing suit and a towel)
  • Panther Junction Visitor Center
  • Chisos Basin (visit the store and lodge)
  • Chisos Basin trails - Lost Mine, South Rim, Window, Emory Peak
  • Desert trail - Grapevine Hills
  • Outside of Big Bend - Starlight Restaurant in Terlingua (their Chili is great!)
Man...wish I was going now.... have fun!

-Blake

OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my mind, these are a must if you do nothing else (in no particular order):

• Hot Springs Historic Area (take your bathing suit and a towel)
  • Panther Junction Visitor Center
  • Chisos Basin (visit the store and lodge)
  • Chisos Basin trails - Lost Mine, South Rim, Window, Emory Peak
  • Desert trail - Grapevine Hills
  • Outside of Big Bend - Starlight Restaurant in Terlingua (their Chili is great!)
Man...wish I was going now.... have fun!

-Blake
Thanks brother I appreciate your input and will definitely check these places out. Thanks again

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
We just returned from a few days in Big Bend NP and camped at the Rio Grande Village. We've been to BBNP many times and hiked a lot of the trails, so I'd be happy to chime in if you have any questions. We towed our Jeep and did the Old Ore Road / Dagger Flats and River Road, both are recommended, easy and very scenic, but obviously check conditions before you dive in. I was all set to do Black Gap, but after talking with some locals, decided it wasn't worth our time as we wanted to see as much as we could i.e. the entire River Road, but I do understand many folks would prefer the (brief) challenge of the "step" and a couple other spots. Don't forget the extreme remote nature of this beautiful, rugged place and plan accordingly. Are you a hiker or prefer to stay close to the roads? Tough to offer suggestions without knowing your preferences. Great short hikes - Lost Mine to the saddle, Balanced Rock, Santa Elena Canyon, Boquillas Canyon, Lower Burro Mesa Pouroff. South Rim is our favorite "all day" hike - fantastic and don't underestimate it. Drive the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive and stop at all the turnouts. Hopefully the wildflowers will stick around, as they were the best we've ever seen them. Amazing "forests" of blooming Octatillo and Giant Dagger Yuccas. Roadsides lined with thick clusters of the tall Big Bend bluebonnets.

OP
OP
RodneyTSU10

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We just returned from a few days in Big Bend NP and camped at the Rio Grande Village. We've been to BBNP many times and hiked a lot of the trails, so I'd be happy to chime in if you have any questions. We towed our Jeep and did the Old Ore Road / Dagger Flats and River Road, both are recommended, easy and very scenic, but obviously check conditions before you dive in. I was all set to do Black Gap, but after talking with some locals, decided it wasn't worth our time as we wanted to see as much as we could i.e. the entire River Road, but I do understand many folks would prefer the (brief) challenge of the "step" and a couple other spots. Don't forget the extreme remote nature of this beautiful, rugged place and plan accordingly. Are you a hiker or prefer to stay close to the roads? Tough to offer suggestions without knowing your preferences. Great short hikes - Lost Mine to the saddle, Balanced Rock, Santa Elena Canyon, Boquillas Canyon, Lower Burro Mesa Pouroff. South Rim is our favorite "all day" hike - fantastic and don't underestimate it. Drive the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive and stop at all the turnouts. Hopefully the wildflowers will stick around, as they were the best we've ever seen them. Amazing "forests" of blooming Octatillo and Giant Dagger Yuccas. Roadsides lined with thick clusters of the tall Big Bend bluebonnets.
Thank you very much for this. We are mainly going to take the Jeep down there. It’s me and my brother going, we are very adventurous and will be hiking some. Definitely not doing anything too wild lol, but would like to see some of the nature that Big Bend has to offer. So any input you have is definitely appreciated.
Sponsored