Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT these things are doing it straight out of the bo 2 miles on the clock in total stock form 2 and 4 doors!! The service guy, sales guy and I took several of their brand new 2019’s for rides to check if they indeed had the same problem and YES they did.
Of course the service guy then said “ See all the backlash from the rear end is normal” we all laughed and he said ‘ya, normal for the poor quality these Wrangler have become.”
Do Not fall for excuses!
Find out what the problem is but not on our dimes!!
Jeep needs to fix the problem now and not after three years 36,000 miles!!!!

After letting them keep my 2019 two door Rubicon I actually today I’m going to a different dealership to have a look at their Rubicon’s I will report back later today on this issue... I’m thinking most will be the same because they are all built the same time (months)

!!!WAY OVER PRICED VEHICLES FOR THE POOR QUALITY ANYMORE!!!

Keep your JK’s!!
Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT these things are doing it straight out of the bo 2 miles on the clock in total stock form 2 and 4 doors!! The service guy, sales guy and I took several of their brand new 2019’s for rides to check if they indeed had the same problem and YES they did.
Of course the service guy then said “ See all the backlash from the rear end is normal” we all laughed and he said ‘ya, normal for the poor quality these Wrangler have become.”
Do Not fall for excuses!
Find out what the problem is but not on our dimes!!
Jeep needs to fix the problem now and not after three years 36,000 miles!!!!

After letting them keep my 2019 two door Rubicon I actually today I’m going to a different dealership to have a look at their Rubicon’s I will report back later today on this issue... I’m thinking most will be the same because they are all built the same time (months)

!!!WAY OVER PRICED VEHICLES FOR THE POOR QUALITY ANYMORE!!!

Keep your JK’s!!
Secretly you still have the itch for a JL....Going to a different dealership in hopes the problem is a non-issue. I think the problem is going to be fixed. The JK had all the same issues and they were worked through. I have faith that either one of us will fix this or it's going to be a 4x4 shop with a guy that has the knowledge of what's going on. Once I get mine back from the shop I have a an engineer I work with that developed these D44 on our jeeps. He's fairly confident it isn't an axle issue knowing the issues from this thread.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I have a HUGE itch for a new Rubicon no Secret. The dealership pulled the 2019 STOCK Rubicon I’m speaking of and with 4 miles the me putting another 50 miles on it have buggered gears!!!
I did order a 2019 Rubi Sept. 2018 and it came in damaged from the factory. Ordered another one exactly like it waited another 12 weeks (!) for it and it has a bad rear end. Tried to purchase something else of the lot and couldn’t because of the rear problem.
6 months of hell.

I want a new Rubicon!!! We’d had umpteen Wranglers and have olved every one of them. Sold the JK to get into a new JL. Love most things about it BUT I will admit even I the one person that wants another real bad had been slapped to death from Jeep..FCA I can write a book about the terrible experience from them in the last 6 months. Why would I want another? The heck with the boneheads running the company anymore I would like this all to be over and purchase (Noth Enjoying the $52,000.00 for a 2 door mind you) a new problem free as much as possible Rubicon.
The updates are really nice and yep you bet I want another.

What I don’t want is a $52,000.00 Rubicon that has multiple issues, real issues that Jeep snuffs at acting as if we the customer is the problem in some way or another. The “it has a Warranty” has no value to me or many others. We don’t want a loaner we want our own bought and paid hard earned money over priced Wrangler to enjoy.

I’m struggling badly with the want of a 2020 hoping the issues have been addressed.
BTW the dealership has a nice soft top Rubi 2 door the way I’d like but it has the dreaded Problematic top! Horror stories, read about that on this site.
Yep it’s no secret, I’d love to have another Rubicon...a good healthy one for $50k...
Feel the struggle?

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
I feel the struggle. I know the struggle all to well being in the OE and Aftermarket automotive business myself. I really think the issue isn't in the rear end (axle components). I wonder if we do a pinned thread at the top of this forum to identify what the common issue is, the fixes that have happened, but didn't solve the issue and start eliminating the potential issues and non-fixes out there. We should be able to narrow this down because we know FCA won't do it because of the potential impact it will have when it comes with repairs. I personally have had nothing but good things in my 25k miles with my Jeep in year one. This is the first real issue i'm experiencing. I understand where you are coming from with the amount of money we spend on this stuff.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So this begs the question, does the lowly meek and mild and most hated standard Sport/Sahara open rear axle have this problem?

Sponsored

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Well, my experience today, went to the dealership to know the nice new 2 door Rubicon was going to have my name on it IF there were no obvious problems.

Brand new 11 miles on the clock, CLUNK/CLANK WHATEVER WAS THERE!! It wasn’t as often BUT It bucked and jumped worse than the 1st Rubicon at the other dealership. It seemed to hit much harder with the clank feeling it when it made a clank-thud noise pushed/pulled the vehicle at very slow speeds. Service guy looked at it and said “Nope, not normal.”
I’m not happy because I love the Rubicon but I’m done.

The soft top was as noisy as it could have been. Wind noise was way bad, sounded like the rear window was out of the vehicle but it was in place where it should have been. Turning up the radio to try to drown out the noise was to the point to where it was uncomfortable. My JK soft top was super nice compared to the JL’s.

No wonder they no longer sell the Lifetime Warranty!!!

Needless to say, I’m out completely until FCA Jeep can work out all of the issues with the JL.

While talking to the Service guys in the back and they say they’ve had a bunch of Warranty issues with the JL 2018 and 2019’s but it kept them
“In the Money” one of them said while they all laughed. They had no answer for this they’ve just been throwing parts at the one’s they’ve seen.

I do need another truck (need 3rd work truck now) so Silverado again, here I come.

I sincerely really hope you all sort out your issues with your much loved Wranglers.
Don’t let up, all JL issues should NOT be paid for or forcing you to upgrade suspension to fix the problem by you the consumer. We upgrade because of choose to NOT because we have to.
Do make sure to get Warranty issues-EVERY ISSUE you may have taken care of BEFORE your Warranty expires!! MEGA BUCK repairs after the Warranty as we all well know when we are talking about the kind of well known issues.

I’ll revisit a hopefully better quality Rubicon maybe in a couple years or maybe better yet buy a very low mileage well modded JK for a heck of a lot less.
Good luck brothers and sisters..

Sharkbite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
So this begs the question, does the lowly meek and mild and most hated standard Sport/Sahara open rear axle have this problem?
See my post 146 back on page 10 in this thread. I swapped out the LSD for an open diff and mine has been good for 2 months now. I have driven the piss out of it - offroad, backroads, stop and go traffic, 4 hour road trips and fortunately it is still good. It may not be the same issue everyone has been dealing with but the clear rotational tick/light knock only at coasting or decelerating. The LSD clutches seemed to be chattering and the spider gears were definitely wearing causing some metal flakes in the diff oil. Luckily it didn't seem to damage the axles or other bearings etc in mine so the diff swap has been the trick for me so far.

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
So are they replacing the whole assembly or all internals? Also were you able to get a case started?
Yes. I was able to get a case opened. It sounds like they were replacing all the internals, but then stated the differential case was on backorder so I am not entirely sure.

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
See my post 146 back on page 10 in this thread. I swapped out the LSD for an open diff and mine has been good for 2 months now. I have driven the piss out of it - offroad, backroads, stop and go traffic, 4 hour road trips and fortunately it is still good. It may not be the same issue everyone has been dealing with but the clear rotational tick/light knock only at coasting or decelerating. The LSD clutches seemed to be chattering and the spider gears were definitely wearing causing some metal flakes in the diff oil. Luckily it didn't seem to damage the axles or other bearings etc in mine so the diff swap has been the trick for me so far.
I wondered if taking that out would help? This might be something to look at. I'm glad to hear this is working out for you.

Last edited:

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I have tried to hear this noise on mine because I am paranoid about lifting it and then not getting any repairs done under warranty. I can't get it to make a noise.

Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Update....new rear axle on order...My dealership is well aware of what’s going on. I have a feeling this is going to get some serious attention here soon.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Update....new rear axle on order...My dealership is well aware of what’s going on. I have a feeling this is going to get some serious attention here soon.
Wish my dealership cared... I have talked to a few people around where I live at other dealers and they are not aware of this yet.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’m not sure this explains it considering there are Rubicons that are coming out to be affected as well.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
They’re saying cause of failure is only the rear axle?

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
They’re saying cause of failure is only the rear axle?
That is the only solution STAR has come up with. I don't think they know the solution, but the problem is becoming more common. Their only course of action right now is to replace the rear. Again, I don't think that is the fix. They need to get these axles to their supplier for them to start troubleshooting because it will get to the point where things get out of hand pretty quickly.
Sponsored