• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
It's good to see some competition for the Wrangler, as it can only force FCA to improve the Wrangler on all kinds of things. Now if we can get Toyota to come back to the off road market, and others etc.

Still love my wrangler, but I like the idea of having options next go around.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Honestly after owning many 4x4s from all the main brands, I think the Jeep Wrangler is very very solid mechanically. I think from a body assembly, paint, and interior standpoint it's also very solid and well built. I think the only real issue that is common to Jeeps is that the electrical architecture/programming has bugs and problems. If they could nail that down they'd have a great product.

Sure, the Bronco will have some features that Wrangler doesn't. But Wrangler will have some Bronco doesn't. That's the name of the game. I don't feel that the Bronco will be a higher quality vehicle though.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not sure I am getting your meaning. Do you mean you are worried that it will look like a Bronco and therefore not be good?
What I am saying is that It won't look like a Bronco. These two pictures I posted are prime examples of what I'm talking about. The top one is of a Challenger X; epic fail. The bottom one is of a GTO which also did not fare well and you just don't see them around anymore. Another example would be the Dodge Dart... If the new Bronco looks like the picture shown at the beginning of this thread, I don't think it will fair well either. Swing and a miss.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Honestly after owning many 4x4s from all the main brands, I think the Jeep Wrangler is very very solid mechanically. I think from a body assembly, paint, and interior standpoint it's also very solid and well built. I think the only real issue that is common to Jeeps is that the electrical architecture/programming has bugs and problems. If they could nail that down they'd have a great product.

Sure, the Bronco will have some features that Wrangler doesn't. But Wrangler will have some Bronco doesn't. That's the name of the game. I don't feel that the Bronco will be a higher quality vehicle though.
I’ve only test driven a JL so I don’t have any personal long term experience. The test drive was great and the interio is beautiful. From what I understand on here about the only thing the JL has going for it over the JK is looks, capability, perceived quality of interior materials and functionality. It’s disappointing to see threads about widespread handling issues, poor parts/manufacturing (plastic seat covers falling off, rear defroster coming off, rear seat mechanism breaking, center console latch coming apart, soft top windows sagging, white grilles turning yellow, electronics acting up, clutch parts failing...I could go on) and terrible dealer service etc etc. To me this is blatant cost cutting and cheap part sourcing. I check out JLs on the lot quite often and the fit and finish on some of the areas on the exterior is second rate and not something I would tolerate on a vehicle at this price. This competition is nothing but a positive for consumers. If I was confident in FCAs reliability I would definitely lean Wrangler for my next vehicle but right now it’s a tough sell at any price.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
To me the Ecoboost is the most exciting thing about the Bronco, as I just feel like FCA has such lack luster engines in the Wrangler & Gladiator line ups.

They had me at eco boost

Sponsored

JEEP FAN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue, 2018 RAM REBEL Crew Cab 4x4, 2018 Dodge Journey SXT AWD
Occupation
Enjoying our fist Jeep.......
Nothing wrong with some good competition, prices are getting outta hand!

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
It is a little ironic to me to read about people bashing Ford quality control and interior quality. Jeep does a terrible job with both of those and has for years.

I don't think the off-road capability of this will be what determines the sales. If it looks good and drives well, it will sell. The FJ was horrible driving and IMO they butchered the look. It was actually a pretty good offroad machine, but that is not going to save it.

Hardcore offroaders are not who drive the sales of the JL and they will not be who makes or breaks the Bronco.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Its not a Jeep,...nor will it compete with Jeep. The Bronco was a fine SUV.....long before the acronym SUV was coined. Over the years Ford lost their way and allowed the Bronco to morph into a behemoth that no longer was the FUN “Bronco” of earlier years. Even when the Bronco was small and FUN....it was no competitor to the Jeep.
Toyota had the FJ that was a Direct Competitor to the Jeep, but in the long run Jeep is a Purpose built machine...with little compromise and the Toyota was simply not as good. Toyota’s new FJ about 15 years ago was another attempt....and they could not maintain a significant portion of the market....and Toyota gave up.
It will be very difficult for Ford Bronco to squeeze into the Jeep Adventure Market. The Aftermarket Industry will watch closely before jumping in....unlike Jeeps Aftermarket support.
The future Bronco may be a Fun new SUV....and it may be a great seller. But it will be VERY DIFFICULT to compete with Jeep that has A dedicated support base and an almost unlimited Aftermarket support.
Jeep has earned it........on a daily basis you can see about 5 generations of jeeps being driven. Its been about 20 years since I have seen a Bronco....it was a US Border Patrol vehicle in South West Texas.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Jeep is a success because it improves with each generation of Jeep.....without a major change in the fundamentals of Jeep. There is NO competition to Jeep.
Ford pickups for years just bought them because my old man used to have them in the business and I always have problems with it just figured it was the norm, in 2007 I changed over to a ram 3500 still use it as my main work vehicle to this day very few problems if any compared to the Fords I used to have. Had six Ford pickups over the years, you expected to have problems. I think Ford is an overpriced shit product that sells.
I don’t know about all their vehicles but for Four years I drove and abused Ford trucks and SUV’s mainly off road....and no road. I was impressed with their performance, durability and capability. I am not a Ford supporter at all, but while in the Border Patrol, those SUV’s stood up to a lot of abuse we gave them.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Got to agree toyota had the ability to do it right i mean considertheir series 70 and 80 full solud axels front ceter and rear lockers
I had a78 bronco crossing sand it would dig like mole and get stuck then on simple brake line repair the dealer told me i had to wait 6 weeks and i kid you not because the line is a special order one end is metric and the other american threads thats an exact quote and it sticks with me because of the absolute stupidly of it

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
In my opinion, nothing will ever compete with a wrangler until it has 4wd, a hard top AND a soft top. competition is good, and i hope it spurs jeep to consider some pretty easy to do changes (mirrors that mount on the body). The bronco will be cool, and may sell if the price is right, but i’m not convinced it will stick around for terribly long. I don’t fault their buyer’s choices, but to me, it will probably always be a wrangler wannabe. Been wrong before. We’ll see.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
In my opinion, nothing will ever compete with a wrangler until it has 4wd, a hard top AND a soft top. competition is good, and i hope it spurs jeep to consider some pretty easy to do changes (mirrors that mount on the body). The bronco will be cool, and may sell if the price is right, but i’m not convinced it will stick around for terribly long. I don’t fault their buyer’s choices, but to me, it will probably always be a wrangler wannabe. Been wrong before. We’ll see.
I should add - maybe there’s plans for a soft top that I just didn’t see? Maybe aftermarket will develop something (that could get expensive maybe)?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Jeep is a success because it improves with each generation of Jeep.....without a major change in the fundamentals of Jeep. There is NO competition to Jeep.

I don’t know about all their vehicles but for Four years I drove and abused Ford trucks and SUV’s mainly off road....and no road. I was impressed with their performance, durability and capability. I am not a Ford supporter at all, but while in the Border Patrol, those SUV’s stood up to a lot of abuse we gave them.
I will tell you. I’ve owned Jeeps for 30 years. I am a Jeep guy. I’m still looking for “my” 2 door. But if the Bronco is manufactured with solid axles and an Ecoboost, there will deep, deep discounts on wranglers. Ford will eat so deep into FCA market share, you will see deep discounts on wranglers like you do with Ram trucks. You can keep this post around to tell me I’m right. It will happen. FCA knows it. With all that said, the ford will be overpriced...as always.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will tell you. I’ve owned Jeeps for 30 years. I am a Jeep guy. I’m still looking for “my” 2 door. But if the Bronco is manufactured with solid axles and an Ecoboost, there will deep, deep discounts on wranglers. Ford will eat so deep into FCA market share, you will see deep discounts on wranglers like you do with Ram trucks. You can keep this post around to tell me I’m right. It will happen. FCA knows it. With all that said, the ford will be overpriced...as always.
If you are on a Wrangler forum why doesn't your avatar show your Wrangler instead of your Fix Or Repair Daily truck?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.