Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I took all 6 of mine out, no problem, in fact, it looked as if only 1 had red loctite on it, some of the others had blue loctite.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I recall reading long ago needing heat on red locktite. I think it was on the directions. I have some in the shop and will check again but a simple youtube search yeilds this:

I follow directions like a software guy follows code, unless of course there is a reason not to. I havent read anything on this thread that indicates a reason not to remove them per the directions. HEAT.
The only reason against using heat, is the length of the bolt makes it impractical to get it to 550 degrees in the area where the Loctite is. Have you got a workable solution to that problem? It would help a lot!

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The only reason against using heat, is the length of the bolt makes it impractical to get it to 550 degrees in the area where the Loctite is. Have you got a workable solution to that problem? It would help a lot!
do the directions say 550 degrees? The heat will travel up the bolt and get plenty hot, I dont know about the 550. Test the theory and get a bolt and put a torch to it. I'm heating mine, what could it hurt??

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
do the directions say 550 degrees? The heat will travel up the bolt and get plenty hot, I dont know about the 550. Test the theory and get a bolt and put a torch to it. I'm heating mine, what could it hurt??
Yes, per Loctite that’s the required temperature to break the red compound down to release. I already successfully removed mine without any heat, but I would have if I knew of a way to get the end where the Loctite is that hot.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yes, per Loctite that’s the required temperature to break the red compound down to release. I already successfully removed mine without any heat, but I would have if I knew of a way to get the end where the Loctite is that hot.
So, Locktite Red's directions say 550 but they themselves must know that no one can get to the where the heat actually needs to be? Thinking what I am saying is correct, the heat gets there. Otherwise why use such a product? Why would anyone want to use such a product?

I never use Red unless I run out of blue and when I do I use minute amounts and have never had a problem without heat. The pics I see on this thread show HUGE crazy amounts of red. Still it's hard to believe those hardened bolts are breaking.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Red is useful in tons of industrial and even automotive applications where high heat is much easier to apply. But typically it’s for things that you don’t want coming loose that you never anticipate removing.

Unfortunately on these bolts they use it on, people like us have reason to take them out. Most owners never will. Red is only on the front most bolt on each side, the middle and rear ones use blue and are easy.

I believe it’s been hypothesized by people smarter than me that part of the breaking issue might be due to how they’re being removed. Because they’re long folks are likely putting torsion forces on them by applying lateral pressure as they back them out. I made sure to keep them as straight as possible while removing and didn’t side load the bolts. I also broke them loose with an impact before using a breaker bar and working slowly, tightening it back up a few turns whenever I felt resistance while removing it.

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
glad i found this thread. I was getting ready to order a set of rockslide step sliders, and had looked at the evo bomber rockers and both require you to either loosen or remove those body bolts. I have done all the work on my jeeps, from lifts to cages, but I am leaning towards having 4WP install these. They quoted me $650 to install, and they have done 2 JL's with the RSE step sliders, breaking the bolt on the first one. I would rather have them do it knowing how to do it after 2-3 installs then me breaking it right out of the gate. I am going to ask them to give me a price on install minus the wiring to see if it's cheaper, but i don't know if they would do that.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I just finished up my RSE steps. Yes, I had the broken bolt........ Go back a page you will see it.
If I had to to over, or as you ( have not installed yet ) I still would give it a shot.

Use only hand tools, no impacts ( air or battery ).
Give the video from ACE a look at.
If you feel the bolt not wanting to turn STOP then make your appointment.

I really feel that Jeep has a bolt supply problem. The one that broke on me, drill out REALLY soft in the middle. I think they might have a hit or miss batch. Both the stock bolts had RED loctite, The one that broke did not take much with my Milwaukee 18v 1/2 impact, bang bang and it was in my hand. The other bolt by hand walked right out with no issue at all. No drama, never would have know that it could be a problem.

I still have my broken bolt. If I knew where to send it for hardness testing that did not cost a ton. That would be something to find out.

Sponsored

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Well wish me luck guys, wife got me the rockhard sliders. Going to takle Friday most likely.

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Havent done it yet.

Work sched changed and my son came down with the flu.

I will update when i do, planning on using a heat gun.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
My ace engineering slider steps arrived last Thursday and I had local mechanic install for $120 while I was away. He installed many on JK and said, after calling ACe, that there was different lock thread and while more difficult, it was not that bad. Piece of mind for $120

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I think I may have to get over my fear of breaking a bolt and finally order a set of sliders. However, I'm concerned that if many bolts are breaking by simply removing them, what will happen to the bolt when the slider they are attached to comes down hard on a rock?
Sponsored