First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I can take the 500lb hit no problem, as my trailer loaded is under 6000.
What I do want is the torque for the ability to not bog down like the 3.6 when hitting mountain passes and headwinds.
Sponsored

HTownGladiator

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020gladiator
I think you mean JL or possibly JK not JT.

Let me explain to you how it works in the HD truck world, you are partially right however it’s payload that usually gets cut. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) on the chassis is the same for each given engine but the the lighter of the two engines will have the greater payload due to lower curb weight. Example: 10000lb GVWR minus the curb weight of the vehicle say a gas truck at 6000lbs gives you 4000lb payload. Now say you have the same truck with the heavier Diesel engine and it’s curb weight is 7000lbs with the same 10000lb GVWR it now has a 3000lb payload.

The Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is the Total weight of Vehicle AND Trailer. This can vary in accordance with the Chassis tested weight rating that factors wheelbase, braking, torque, weight of tow vehicle and many other factors. It is usually bumped up on a diesel vehicle to allow heavier tow weights.

Where this JT diesel towing cut comes from is a speculative article in road and track regarding the cooling of the ecodiesel in the JT and JL. RT is a road race car mag and I don’t take what they said as fact as they generally don’t test that many trucks.

In the end we don’t know what the tow rating on an ED JT will be or a JL for that matter, because neither has been realeased with that engine. Heck we don’t know if the ED will end up in either the JT or JL at all.

As for running circles in your ZR2 you need state if it’s the same weights, same conditions, etc, a JL as I recall may only be rated for 3500lbs your ZR2 is rated for 5000lbs with an exhaust brake and probably a trailer brake too. Not really Apples to Apples comparison, what does a 3.6L ZR2 tow like? Probably similar to a 3.6 pentastar.

P.S. the diesel in your ZR2 is a VM motori based engine. A FCA product.;)
I believe the 500 lb hit on the ED was stated in some FCA marketing material back in November when they announced the truck. It just a RT article.....

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I can take the 500lb hit no problem, as my trailer loaded is under 6000.
What I do want is the torque for the ability to not bog down like the 3.6 when hitting mountain passes and headwinds.
Yea, this is the thing for me as well. I live right off the Rockies and I drive across I-70 all the time. I'm not terribly worried about the reduction in max towing but the more I have, the more of a camper I can buy. And of course, I want a Wrangler too so the Gladiator is the happy medium I've been looking for.

The thing is, that diesel is gonna be hella expensive. I'm starting to think that perhaps the gas engine with an aftermarket turbo or supercharger is a better and cheaper alternative. At least that's something I'm going to investigate before I pull the trigger.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Yea, this is the thing for me as well. I live right off the Rockies and I drive across I-70 all the time. I'm not terribly worried about the reduction in max towing but the more I have, the more of a camper I can buy. And of course, I want a Wrangler too so the Gladiator is the happy medium I've been looking for.

The thing is, that diesel is gonna be hella expensive. I'm starting to think that perhaps the gas engine with an aftermarket turbo or supercharger is a better and cheaper alternative. At least that's something I'm going to investigate before I pull the trigger.
How long do you keep your vehicles? I keep them forever and I too would be interested in a turbo or super charger, however I am concerned about long term impacts on both the engine itself and other components. My past experience is that major aftermarket changes like that negatively impact longevity. Anyone want to weigh in here? Are my concerns valid?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
How long do you keep your vehicles? I keep them forever and I too would be interested in a turbo or super charger, however I am concerned about long term impacts on both the engine itself and other components. My past experience is that major aftermarket changes like that negatively impact longevity. Anyone want to weigh in here? Are my concerns valid?
My opinion, the factory does far more testing than any aftermarket company aimed at regular consumers. If its not factory and you're adding power to a motor, you're decreasing reliability and longevity.

Mild mods increase this a mild amount, big mods increase it a big amount.

Stuff like supercharger/turbocharger, you better have a rainy day fund for when something screws up and the motor melts. I admit i don't have much experience with 6 and 8 cylinder turbo/supercharging, just 4 cylinder stuff.

If you go that route, better get a tune with a wide-band and upgrade injectors and fuel pump. Loss of fuel will quickly melt stuff.

I'm crossing fingers that straight 6 turbo pans out.

Sponsored

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I know some JKs that have the RIPP supercharger and have been having for a couple years with no problems. They wheel these Jeeps hard on a regular basis and have had no problems. I believe these kits are a great addition to a 3.6 if you are looking for more power and torque without sacrificing longevity.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
My opinion, the factory does far more testing than any aftermarket company aimed at regular consumers. If its not factory and you're adding power to a motor, you're decreasing reliability and longevity.

Mild mods increase this a mild amount, big mods increase it a big amount.

Stuff like supercharger/turbocharger, you better have a rainy day fund for when something screws up and the motor melts. I admit i don't have much experience with 6 and 8 cylinder turbo/supercharging, just 4 cylinder stuff.

If you go that route, better get a tune with a wide-band and upgrade injectors and fuel pump. Loss of fuel will quickly melt stuff.

I'm crossing fingers that straight 6 turbo pans out.
Yeah baby! The straight 6 turbo with a heavy duty Tremec 6 speed manual PLEASE!

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019Chevy ZR2 diesel
Good for you, I am happy that you know how you will use it. Others of us have a different use plan, such as towing a small RV that we can take to the mountains and then unhitch and use the Gladiator offroad, or haul a boat, or whatever.

And we would very much like to make sure that the truck we are lusting over is within spec for our desired use case.
AMEN that is what I do!
Sponsored