School a Toyota guy on reliability

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
That's precisely it! When your friend bringing you plywood gets stuck upon your chalet, you can tow him up to the ranchuade' so he may unload it near your Gladiator.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have been keeping track of things to watch out for on the JLs. Here is my list of possible issues, keep in mind I think they effect only a small number of people.

Before I jump into the list let me say that the 3.6 is long proven as most have already told you. Some are concerned it may be under powered but that depends on what you are doing and what you expect. Many feel the tacos are under powered as well, but again this is all relative. As far as the m/t, it is a brand new tranny for the JLs and I don't think it has been around long enough to comment on the reliability/longevity. It is made be Aisin, and they have been making solid transmissions for Jeep for a very long time. It is said to have a very light clutch and short car like throws. Unfortunately it greatly decreasing the tow rating and can only be matted to the 3.6L. Still I will be rowing my own in my JT.

Ok here is my list of issues, if anyone else has more to add please let me know.

Steering - seems to be the biggest concern and the solutions vary from software update, to new steering box, to new front end components, adjust tire pressure, to just plain its a SFA its going to be bumpy and take slight more effort to steer, Jeep thing.

HVAC - unless corrected for the JT, some have complained the HVAC dumps unfiltered air into the cabin, which can be hot in summer or cold in the winter. Supposedly only for brief moments and done on purpose by Jeep engineers to prevent CO2 cabin build up. You can decided if that answer holds water. Although it sounds annoying its not a deal breaker for me.

Speaker rattler - a few have complained that the front drivers speaker harness is loose and causes distortion. Easy fix to secure.

Frame Welds - some JL had issues with frame welds and there was a small recall, seems to be fixed and an isolated incident. You are a Toyota guy so you should know about frame weld issues.

Wind noise - some have complained about the hard top causing the buffeting, as far as I can tell, it just means the weather strips on the freedom panels are not sitting quiet right. They can be played with to fix the issue but getting it right may take some trial and error. Also if people are complain about noise with a soft top, yeah Jeep thing, still awesome.

Fuses - when you take delivery push fuses in to ensure they are fully seated, otherwise electrical issues can happen. There have been some isolated non fuse issues with the electrical as well. I don't have much info on those.

Then you have people concerns about issues they think will happen but haven't yet. example ESS/Starter problems, FAD front axle disconnect, etc. time will tell if these are valid concerns. I am not to worried.

Hope that helps.

Forgot about a few additional things to add. Any other forum members have anything else? Again this is not bashing Jeep as I am for sure getting one myself, this is just to help me and others know what to look out for when taking delivery and to best anticipate any issues early on.

Defrost issues - some JL owners say that the defrost only clears the center of the windshield and leaves the edges frosted over in the winter. The fix has been to plug some of the center defrost holes, which forces air to the outside holes. They have used everything from heat resistant plastic plugs to metal bars. While I think Jeep engineers should really address this issue, most of the fixes I have seen are inexpensive, easy, and are not noticeable as many blend right into the dash.

Advanced Safety group - some say that having the sensors behind the review mirror obstructs some of their view. I'm 5'10'' and don't expect it to be a problem, however I plan on sitting/driving a JL with the advanced safety group before I order it.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'd put my 2 Toyotas up against ANY JEEP as far as reliability. My 2015 4Runner is extremely comfortable and is really tough. 135,000 miles and finally just replaced the brakes. Other than that just maintenance. My 94 pickup isn't very comfortable but is bomb-proof. I think I replaced a starter and exhaust and have over 270,000 miles on it. Check out the TopGear episodes on youtube where they try and kill an old Hilux parts 1,2 and 3. They buried in the ocean, dropped a camper on it. hit it with a wrecking ball, lit it on fire, it fell 240' on a demolished building, They dragged it out of each situation and it started up and they could drive it. PRETTY KICK ASS IF YOU ASK ME

Also, check this out about a 4Runner that had a huge tree crush it. and keeps on going.

I've been very happy with them.

This shouldn't be a pissing match....both brands make kickass trucks and I can't wait to add a Jeep Gladiator to my garage.

My 2010 Grand Cherokee was actually a POS in comparison- poor performance, a few issues before 100k, but after my 05 4Runner saved me after a head-on collision I was in a pinch and the only new decent SUV I could get for the price was the GC

I routinely give and get thumbs up from Wrangler drivers all over the country when I'm in my Toyotas.

Dude-
You come on here bashing Jeep and singing the Toyota fan boy song.. Really?

There are problems with any manufacturer...for instance how many taco frames had to be replaced because Toyota used inferior metal?? I don’t know the answer but it was thousands if not tens of thousands... there are several other issues as well.

As for comparing your taco to a Hilux you must be smoking something. The Hilux shares virtually no parts with the Taco...

I respect all opinions but you should be mindful of where you are.....if you want to stir the pot just go somewhere else...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

Sponsored

KAC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee KL
Forgot about a few additional things to add. Any other forum members have anything else? Again this is not bashing Jeep as I am for sure getting one myself, this is just to help me and others know what to look out for when taking delivery and to best anticipate any issues early on.

Defrost issues - some JL owners say that the defrost only clears the center of the windshield and leaves the edges frosted over in the winter. The fix has been to plug some of the center defrost holes, which forces air to the outside holes. They have used everything from heat resistant plastic plugs to metal bars. While I think Jeep engineers should really address this issue, most of the fixes I have seen are inexpensive, easy, and are not noticeable as many blend right into the dash.

Advanced Safety group - some say that having the sensors behind the review mirror obstructs some of their view. I'm 5'10'' and don't expect it to be a problem, however I plan on sitting/driving a JL with the advanced safety group before I order it.

Oh, just thought of one that I don't think you mentioned. Windshield rock/crack issues?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Glad to see the list!

Ditto road noise. It's a Jeep thing and roof carpet works.

Ditto sluggish. Towers be ready. Test on long big hills first with your kit - I just did 5K elevation change four times today, up and over and back. Each hill caused a diff reaction in my 2010 Liberty 6 bang. And I'm not towing. Thought a lot about it, watched other Jeep's. This is not our father's V-8! Bigger trucks definitely outperformed, but they can't go off road either and they aren't jeep.

Add LED. Some wanna be mountain driver (line hugging and gotta be next to somebody on a mtn pass) in a GC behind me was blinding. Not sure how many settings those lights have, but remember manners, jeep lights are bright away from City lights.

Add engine cooling. They widened the grille and look below in pic at the huge thing that sucks directly through vent on the hood. I'm wondering if the 'over heat under stress' is solved. Grille and vent sucking intake seem like major adjustments.

IMG_20190324_114741054_LL.jpg

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Dude-
You come on here bashing Jeep and singing the Toyota fan boy song.. Really?

There are problems with any manufacturer...for instance how many taco frames had to be replaced because Toyota used inferior metal?? I don’t know the answer but it was thousands if not tens of thousands... there are several other issues as well.

As for comparing your taco to a Hilux you must be smoking something. The Hilux shares virtually no parts with the Taco...

I respect all opinions but you should be mindful of where you are.....if you want to stir the pot just go somewhere else...
Tell me where I was bashing Jeep. All I said was that my 2010 Grand Cherokee in comparison to my two Toyotas was a POS. I had more repairs needed on that vehicle in less than 100,000 miles than both of my Toyotas that have logged over 300,000 miles combined. This was my personal experience with one vehicle. I also said I cannot wait to add a Gladiator to my garage.

I think you're trying to start a fight that's not worth fighting.
Peace DUDE

passamike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Toyota sr5, 2000 Toyota Tacoma Trd sr5 2x4, 1999 Toyota landcruiser, 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
I am also a lifelong toyota user, however, I would love to switch to jeeps specifically the new fully loaded Gladiator Rubicon. I have always preferred the jeeps looks but the Toyotas reliability(my experience only, maybe if I had jeeps the experience would be similar, hence the post) I no longer Offroad as much as my youth but still enjoy it as often as I can. I have a 1999 land cruiser with some additions: emu suspension package, arb bumper with winch. I pay cash and usually by used. For tax purposes I can now by new 4x4's. Because I believe the loaded gladiator makes the IRS's 6000gvwr limit for deduction I am curious if I can expect the same 200-300kmph lifetime out of it. My two current Toyotas, 1999 Tacoma and a 1999 landcruiser each have over 250 and other than minor repairs each Are still road worthy. I measure minor repairs by cost. Combined vehicle repairs/maintenance costs me less than$45/month the ten plus years I have owned them. Biggest repairs and/or maintenance where timing belts and radiator for tacoma and front ball joints on the landcruiser. Lastly I am fortunate enough to have a mechanic to do all my repairs. But this doesn't mean I am not reliability conscious...:) So what's the consensus? Can I expect similar results form the Gladiator? Thanks.

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
All of my current Jeeps have been very reliable.

I have a 2012 JKUR at 88k miles with limited issues to date. Almost all of my repairs have been related to off roading related issues on a fairly modified rig (ie stock driveshaft replacement, electronic disconnect issues when fording water—but all covered under warranty). The only real maintenance item that wasn’t covered under warranty was when our engine thermostat went out at about 78k miles. Easy fix though. I rally the crap out of this this rig and it’s still going strong.

My 2018 JLUR has 28k miles and has never had any issues to date. I love the way it drives and have even competed in various rallies with it stock. I get some people have had issues, but mine is the best wrangler I’ve ever owned (have had 8).

My 2020 JTR Launch Edition has just under 9k miles and no issues to date.

I owned a 2010 Tacoma and 2011 trail teams FJ during the wrangler mini van engine era. They both had numerous issues, in that any tire other than a street tire caused steering vribration issues at speeds over 50mph. This was my most frustrating time of vehicle ownership. There was nothing the dealership could do that would fix the issue. I was so relieved when Jeep got the Pentastar engine. I traded in those Toyota’s and haven’t looked back since. Probably similar to some people’s experiences with the JL, I had two crappy Toyota Lemons.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I am also a lifelong toyota user, however, I would love to switch to jeeps specifically the new fully loaded Gladiator Rubicon. I have always preferred the jeeps looks but the Toyotas reliability(my experience only, maybe if I had jeeps the experience would be similar, hence the post) I no longer Offroad as much as my youth but still enjoy it as often as I can. I have a 1999 land cruiser with some additions: emu suspension package, arb bumper with winch. I pay cash and usually by used. For tax purposes I can now by new 4x4's. Because I believe the loaded gladiator makes the IRS's 6000gvwr limit for deduction I am curious if I can expect the same 200-300kmph lifetime out of it. My two current Toyotas, 1999 Tacoma and a 1999 landcruiser each have over 250 and other than minor repairs each Are still road worthy. I measure minor repairs by cost. Combined vehicle repairs/maintenance costs me less than$45/month the ten plus years I have owned them. Biggest repairs and/or maintenance where timing belts and radiator for tacoma and front ball joints on the landcruiser. Lastly I am fortunate enough to have a mechanic to do all my repairs. But this doesn't mean I am not reliability conscious...:) So what's the consensus? Can I expect similar results form the Gladiator? Thanks.

No the Fiat owned JL/JTs and even the new Tacoma is not as reliable as one of the most globally recognized reliable vehicles ever made. They are currently no where near the top in recent owner reliability surveys either. It is what it is. Buy if you like and get an extended warranty. If it doesn’t give you problems keep it. But if you buy it, you may have to live with issues as you enjoy the capabilities and unique owner experience.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.30/

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Out West, the old Toyotas last a long time -- they used to rust out bad in the East. Out West, Throughout the years, mine has needed basically nothing except normal maint. ... It's almost impossible to "out do" old Toyota reliability... But, still, In my opinion, the only Toyotas worth keeping over the standard life span are the straight axle ones... I will probably never sell my old Land Cruiser, but, we love our Gladiator and have had lots of fun with it already ! It was a great buy ! The Old Land Cruiser is boring compared to the Gladiator. Don't be afraid to join the Wave !

eVuegA.jpg

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Toyota reliablity, eh? Do we want to ignore the way the bodies would rust off the frames? And the V6 head gasket debacle? And the frames that folded like lawn chairs and prompted Toyota to buy back entire trucks? And the crank shaft failures on the Tundras? And the plastic cargo box cracks that we saw on Tacomas? And the way Toyota leads the world in vehicle recalls? I suppose we want to avoid all of that and just focus on overall day to day reliability.

Well, I gave Toyota a chance once and before I made it to 100k on my 4Runner the frame cross members were rusted like Swiss cheese and the exhaust manifolds needed to be replaced because they were cracked and leaking. And I wish I had a $5 bill for every time I towed my buddy's Tacoma home on a trailer for him....usually miles and miles from home while we were trying to camp and have a good time.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
The Jeep has excellent engineering and is very reliable IF you do your part. Pay attention to maintenance schedules. Listen, look and feel for little issues before they become big problems. Avoid unnecessary mods. And, if you do mod please consider the effect these mods have on other parts. In other words, a big lift and 37” tires may be cool, but if you don’t upgrade the trac arm, lower the differential gears, reinforce where necessary, etc. you WILL pay the price. And that, my friend, is on you. Not on the truck. Prepare, think ahead, don’t install cheap crap and KEEP IT CLEAN.

Old Tex

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I had a 2012 Tacoma that I traded in on my JT. I had the taco for 6 years and changed the plugs once during that time. I changed oil regularly at 7,000 miles. That is all that I did to it. It had 116,000 miles on it when I traded it in. So far the Gladiator has been flawless and is more pleasant to drive for me. I have had it for 4 months and have 5,000 miles on it. Hope it keeps on being a great ride. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored