Cookiedawg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to lift a Sahara and add 35 inch tires. I really like the look of 20 inch wheels but also like the 18s as well. Any thoughts on the effects of ride quality and handling using either of these sizes?

I plan on using k02s. I will not be off-roading anytime soon and if I did it would be very light use. I drive 90% expressway roads and drive between 70 and 80 mph.

Any feed back would be much appreciated
Sponsored

Ndrogo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am looking to lift a Sahara and add 35 inch tires. I really like the look of 20 inch wheels but also like the 18s as well. Any thoughts on the effects of ride quality and handling using either of these sizes?

I plan on using k02s. I will not be off-roading anytime soon and if I did it would be very light use. I drive 90% expressway roads and drive between 70 and 80 mph.

Any feed back would be much appreciated
Did you get any advice or move forward? Do you need tonlidy jeepnwith 35s

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
Cookiedawg

Cookiedawg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get any advice or move forward? Do you need tonlidy jeepnwith 35s
I am still looking for advice on 18 vs 20 inch wheels. I would think the 20s would handle better on the road. I will not be going off road anytime soon.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
On road you won't notice much difference, slightly firmer sidewall going w/ 20s but that's about it. If you add a bit more pressure to the KO2s on 18s you should get a similar road feel. IMO the 18s would be a better choice if & when the time comes for off roading, but if you like the look of 20s then run 'em :)

OP
OP
Cookiedawg

Cookiedawg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On road you won't notice much difference, slightly firmer sidewall going w/ 20s but that's about it. If you add a bit more pressure to the KO2s on 18s you should get a similar road feel. IMO the 18s would be a better choice if & when the time comes for off roading, but if you like the look of 20s then run 'em :)
Thanks

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Adding 35s to 18" or 20" wheels on your Sahara will cause overdrive 8th gear to just about being worthless. Problem is the 3.45 ring and pinion gears will not hold up to the weight and size. I put 18" wheels on my JLUS and added 275/65/18s terra grappler XLs and my 8th gear is only good now for going downhill. These tires and wheels measure out to be 32.1" true and weight measure out to be 84lbs. each. Sahara's are designed very similar to the JLUS so personally I cannot recommend 35s on them especially the heavier type like c and e rated sidewalls. Hope this helps!

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I too strongly advise not going to 35s on a Sahara. ( yes people do it, but it doesn't make it right)

You will need a 3.5" lift to clear 35s, unless your getting Rubicon fenders , then a 2.5 might do, but you will need LCAs to fix caster, a new SS(actually everyone should get a new SS, OEM is doodie), adjustable track bar

You will also need to regear both axles to get your drive ratio back to normal( again I see people not regearing sports and Sahara's for 35s, will it work? yeah, but it is not optimal and you loose gears in trans and the stock diff gears will not like 35s.

So if you want to do it right and can afford it, get a 3.5 lift with adjustable track bar and LCAs, a new steering stabilizer and a full YETI XD kit.

If you are trying to do it on a budget just stop yourself right now and just get 33s, looks awesome and nothing else needed, I would upgrade the SS though to a fox or teraflex.

This is not a cheap hobby, when done cheap, you will eventually regret it.

just my .02

18 vs 20 is your decision, whatever you like, I would stay with 18s, or even go to 17s, I like more tire
20s make it a pretty stiff ride, you will feel more road imperfections with 20s, hit a hole and you loose fillings and kidneys.

20s on mud tires is up there with angry birds and light bars in my book

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
What if the vehicle is a motorized skateboard???
According to the website for Davis Law Group, skateboards are not considered vehicles.

"Skateboards and roller skates are great fun, but they are not considered lawful vehicles. Since they operate at a speed that makes it difficult for motorists to spot and react to, they are not allowed on roads except when crossing the street. Skateboarders are considered pedestrians under state law.

Anyone using a skateboard or roller skates on a sidewalk must use them with ordinary care, at a safe speed, and must yield the right of way to other pedestrians on that sidewalk."

https://www.injurytriallawyer.com/blog/what-is-a-pedestrian-skateboards-roller-skates-bicycles.cfm
Sponsored