JL Rubicon, 2 door, Freedom roof removal

Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon
Hi, please bear with me on this newbie question. I am the proud owner of new OB Rubicon, as of last Friday. The Jeep will be based in the South of France, where I can be guaranteed to be able to have the roof off from April/May through October - one of the many reasons why I chose the Rubi.
What I would appreciate advice on, is whether it is reasonable to expect two adults to be able to remove the rear part of the roof without use of a hoist etc. In all likelihood, this will only be necessary twice a year (off in April, back on November). Any guidance, do’s and don’ts etc would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Finally, a gratuitous pic of my two trucks.

368A90A0-638F-48A0-AC9E-0361EF1662D4.jpeg

3AF51D2E-6E16-45CE-A990-05422902E711.jpeg
Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it’s quite doable with two adults. It will probably be easiest if you have a raised platform you can move it to by backing up the Jeep to it, but getting it down to the ground will not be that difficult. The 2 door top is not terribly heavy but it can be awkward.

There are other threads on this forum with tips on top storage, etc. Some have built carts or platforms for this purpose.

Nice Jeep :like:

AbeWay

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Make sure you don't try it by yourself, if I had a dollar for every single person who tried to do it one person and broke it I might have got the Rubicon too.

Most people like to put the gate only half open so they don't hit the tire.

That initial removal might be a little sticky because of the gasket. Also don't forget the gasket.

Edorand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes it's doable with two people. Open the rear glass, open the swing gate, and one of you stand on each side and just lift straight up then back

OP
OP
Skyman

Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon
Thank you guys. Very helpful comments.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, please bear with me on this newbie question. I am the proud owner of new OB Rubicon, as of last Friday. The Jeep will be based in the South of France, where I can be guaranteed to be able to have the roof off from April/May through October - one of the many reasons why I chose the Rubi.
What I would appreciate advice on, is whether it is reasonable to expect two adults to be able to remove the rear part of the roof without use of a hoist etc. In all likelihood, this will only be necessary twice a year (off in April, back on November). Any guidance, do’s and don’ts etc would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Finally, a gratuitous pic of my two trucks.

368A90A0-638F-48A0-AC9E-0361EF1662D4.jpeg

3AF51D2E-6E16-45CE-A990-05422902E711.jpeg
Certainly possible with 2 adults, not recommended to try on your own. I have done mine by myself and was successful, but I wouldn't try it again. That's a pretty awesome colour choice :like:

Sponsored