Sponsored

Coolant leak, steering wheel shake, tie rod loose, hvac issues, etc. New 2019 3.6 JLUR

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
So far shakedown run #3 is not going well. Still getting warm in the mountains, and have the rear diff whine. also some fun new things that I was lucky to not have until now. We now have wheel shimmy after hitting expansion joints, and it is all over the road. No more one hand driving.

At first I blamed my wife's driving as it seemed we were all over the road. She said it is hard to keep on hwy. Also every larger expansion joint the wheel has a hard shake for a few seconds. I drove next, and dang it I cant blame it on her. I have commented in the past that mine despite the coolant issues has been great to drive. Aparantly hitting the 3000 mile mark must have been the limit. Also now my overflow can for the coolant is leaking at the hose connection. We smelled coolant when we stopped for gas and noticed it right away.

We are now on a 2 week, 3000 + mile trip. Going from Arizona to MO, then Arkansas, texas, new Mexico, CO, then to Moab and then home. I told my jeep wave case manager about my concerns taking it after just getting it back and he said dont worry about it. He said he will call and check in on me, and if I break down he will help get it to a dealership and get me a rental. Not ideal, but at least they are keeping in touch with me.

We will not be going to the same dealership again. The FCA rep also said he was surprised by them and is looking for a better in the area. Fingers crossed I make it home lol.

Onward we go!

IMG_20190309_111644.jpg

IMG_20190309_111532.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to update the thread as the issues seem to be getting worse the longer I drive. We put another 700 miles on so far as part of the trip and we now struggle keeping it straight going down the road. There is a good 1" dead spot in the wheel so you are constantly fighting it to make corrections to drive. This was not an issue for the first 2000 miles. The tempature is lower here, but that should not be the reason in of itself. Also, I had my wife turn the wheel at a gas station while I watched the front end. There was a huge amount of deflection in the steering components. The tie rod themselves had about 1/8 or more of play by hand moving them now. When wife turns the wheel, there is easily 1/2 in or more of parts moving before the wheel does anything. Not sure if it is getting looser as we drive it more, but this is crazy. As soon as we get to our first destination where I have tools I will tourqe things down again, it it appears the tie rod bushings are bad. I took a video of the wheel driving, later will video the loose components before I tighten them. I Thought read somewhere that there may be new parts coming up for the new models, maybe Jeep already knows what's wrong and it will be an easy fix for all of us.

Coolant also still leaking. Now the tube into the overflow container is dripping, and still seeing at the lower radiator hose where the gap is between the hose fitting and the plastic radiator. Fun stuff.

And we also found a few ne tech bugs with the HVAC. When driving with the heat on, from time to time a fan will kick on in or near the glove box and vent in outside air. In this case, freezing cold air from outside. My wife kept thinking something was wrong as she was freezing. Even with the recirculated air (not outside) it does this.

The only way to stop it is to turn the entire HVAC system off. Then it won't vent in. We first found the issue outside of Amarillo where we had the re-circ on as we were coming up to a KAFO, and did not want to smell it. However, no avail, it smelled like we had the windows down. Could not figure why it was like this. Later when the next state was cold we were able find what was going on due to the freezing air coming in. We also fund how to stop it. (Get vehicle as hot as you want it inside, then turn the entire system off. Then it will slowly cool down. Then turn it back on and repeat. If you leave the system on, it vents in cold / outside air every few min.)

We payed with it a bunch, having "auto" on or off makes no difference, having the re-circ on or off does not matter.

Really hope this can be fixed before summer. In Arizona, if we hit a dust storm I don't want the Jeep sucking all that in.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Jiminy Xmas. I know this is not what a new owner wants to hear but I would drop that thing like a bag of dirt. Lemon law it out of here, you are far more patient than me. More importantly I have lost all confidence in the reliability of that vehicle that is going to be “out there” away from reception & services etc. Good on you for trying to still take your trips and live jeep lyfë regardless. I feel bad! But it even sounds unsafe to drive at this point, at least get in a rental if poss.
(and yes, this is me covering my ass for any future excursions together so that Jeep doesn’t ruin my fun too) ;)

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Jiminy Xmas. I know this is not what a new owner wants to hear but I would drop that thing like a bag of dirt. Lemon law it out of here, you are far more patient than me. More importantly I have lost all confidence in the reliability of that vehicle that is going to be “out there” away from reception & services etc. Good on you for trying to still take your trips and live jeep lyfë regardless. I feel bad! But it even sounds unsafe to drive at this point, at least get in a rental if poss.
(and yes, this is me covering my ass for any future excursions together so that Jeep doesn’t ruin my fun too) ;)
Yes, we emailed FCA tonight t see if they can help. My wife is scared to drive it now as if it is not a straight road it is very tough to keep in the lines. In the 1500 miles we put on it to get here to MO it has gotten progressively worse. My patience has nw run out. I am ok with coolant leaks etc, as most likely that won't cause an accident, but now with it being all over the road, and the fact that I can move the steering components by hand like a 1940 farm truck with bad tie rods etc. I am pissed. Mine was one of the few that drove GREAT until it hit about 3000 miles. Then it was like a switch flipped. You physically get tired trying to keep it in the lines.

Hopefully we can get home. And already planning to cut our second week of our trip out now. Also have it going into a dealership tonight here in MO far from home. Also have the certified letters ready for the Lemon Law process. I was ok with coolant leaks, but after almost crashing due to faulty steering parts I am not playing around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Here are 3 quick videos of the newest issue we are seeing with the steering. We have a large dead spot in the wheel, it shakes bad over expansion joints etc, and is all over the road. You can also shake the steering components by hand now like they are on some old farm truck.

I could not get them uploaded here, but was able to link to Twitter. One shows the amount of play in the cold at 75mph that the steering wheel has. If you watch further in the steering view, you get well over an inch each way at speed. When you hit a bump or expansion joint it shakes real bad now.

The other two are how you can move the various steering components by hand in the front end. It has actually gotten worse, I took a video about 700 miles ago at a gas station, then this morning at the hotel. More play now, it is getting worse and worse and is not safe to drive.

[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to update the thread as the issues seem to be getting worse the longer I drive. We put another 700 miles on so far as part of the trip and we now struggle keeping it straight going down the road. There is a good 1" dead spot in the wheel so you are constantly fighting it to make corrections to drive. This was not an issue for the first 2000 miles. The tempature is lower here, but that should not be the reason in of itself. Also, I had my wife turn the wheel at a gas station while I watched the front end. There was a huge amount of deflection in the steering components. The tie rod themselves had about 1/8 or more of play by hand moving them now. When wife turns the wheel, there is easily 1/2 in or more of parts moving before the wheel does anything. Not sure if it is getting looser as we drive it more, but this is crazy. As soon as we get to our first destination where I have tools I will tourqe things down again, it it appears the tie rod bushings are bad. I took a video of the wheel driving, later will video the loose components before I tighten them. I Thought read somewhere that there may be new parts coming up for the new models, maybe Jeep already knows what's wrong and it will be an easy fix for all of us.

Coolant also still leaking. Now the tube into the overflow container is dripping, and still seeing at the lower radiator hose where the gap is between the hose fitting and the plastic radiator. Fun stuff.

And we also found a few ne tech bugs with the HVAC. When driving with the heat on, from time to time a fan will kick on in or near the glove box and vent in outside air. In this case, freezing cold air from outside. My wife kept thinking something was wrong as she was freezing. Even with the recirculated air (not outside) it does this.

The only way to stop it is to turn the entire HVAC system off. Then it won't vent in. We first found the issue outside of Amarillo where we had the re-circ on as we were coming up to a KAFO, and did not want to smell it. However, no avail, it smelled like we had the windows down. Could not figure why it was like this. Later when the next state was cold we were able find what was going on due to the freezing air coming in. We also fund how to stop it. (Get vehicle as hot as you want it inside, then turn the entire system off. Then it will slowly cool down. Then turn it back on and repeat. If you leave the system on, it vents in cold / outside air every few min.)

We payed with it a bunch, having "auto" on or off makes no difference, having the re-circ on or off does not matter.

Really hope this can be fixed before summer. In Arizona, if we hit a dust storm I don't want the Jeep sucking all that in.
Damn, sorry to hear of all your issues!!!! Also from Arizona here and concerning your vent opening and allowing outside air in.....the same happens when running AC. I also thought something was wrong with the HVAC system because when it's 100 plus degrees outside and the outside air is let into the Jeep for about 30 seconds or so, you NOTICE! Doesnt matter if I'm on recirculate or not, auto or manual, floor or dash...it always happens after about 15 minutes of driving and then about every 25 minutes after that. Reason I know is because it happens around the same place on the freeway to and from work, telling me that its a programming issue and not just a random problem.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, sorry to hear of all your issues!!!! Also from Arizona here and concerning your vent opening and allowing outside air in.....the same happens when running AC. I also thought something was wrong with the HVAC system because when it's 100 plus degrees outside and the outside air is let into the Jeep for about 30 seconds or so, you NOTICE! Doesnt matter if I'm on recirculate or not, auto or manual, floor or dash...it always happens after about 15 minutes of driving and then about every 25 minutes after that. Reason I know is because it happens around the same place on the freeway to and from work, telling me that its a programming issue and not just a random problem.
I am glad to see im not losing my mind with the hvac. It was rough on my wife as we were driving through 20 degree weather. She was freezing. I did not think about what the summer will be like. Also the smell. Living in Chandler, the outside air is not always the best. (Dust storms, cow farms etc)

I jist dropped my JLUR off, for a rental we got a 2017 JKU. The steering is soo much better than what my JLUR has currently. Fun fun fun. Heihei is living up to its name lol.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
I am glad to see im not losing my mind with the hvac. It was rough on my wife as we were driving through 20 degree weather. She was freezing. I did not think about what the summer will be like. Also the smell. Living in Chandler, the outside air is not always the best. (Dust storms, cow farms etc)

I jist dropped my JLUR off, for a rental we got a 2017 JKU. The steering is soo much better than what my JLUR has currently. Fun fun fun. Heihei is living up to its name lol.
I have never had the HVAC issue to date with heat or ac running. I know most have though. Crazy!!

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership called, they re-torqued the front end parts, but steering is still loose and the play is still there. The parts to fix are backordered. So now I will be driving home from MO to AZ with it all over the road. They did verify in writing that it needed the new parts, and also verified I still have a coolant leak.

At this point I am done, and will be pushing for a repurchase I think. I asked my case manager to start this process as per lemon law this Is a safety issue, not just a material defect. He said they need to have it again for a final visit, but agrees that it may be the right call. For The dealership and customer care to acknowledge that it needs new parts, but I have to wait for the parts to come in and drive it 1500 miles home is a huge fail. Hopefully I am not in an accident. Will also update this to my NHTSA case, I am sure they will love hearing there are known vehicles on the road that are unsafe.
@JeepCares

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
latest update as of 3/25/19:

drove the Jeep home from MO, tried to stay on smaller highways to keep it under 65. Took a few extra days, but was worth it as on the highway at 70+ mph it is a handful. going slower is much higher easier to deal with. also, my front tires are now bad they are cupped / feathered pretty bad on the outside. when checked in MO they were fine. (dealership in MO inspected the tires, so have it documented that they were good before trip home).

I dropped it off today at another Local dealership here in AZ that was recommended by a few locals. they have the list of items that need to be looked into, and the notes from the MO dealership. hopefully they can fix everything and it will just be done, otherwise Immay have to push buyback after all. I did send the required certified letter today as my original case with FCA customer service was closed out, and I was not given another though my corporate executive referral manager that seems to have taken over. I left them a voice mail that it was in the AZ dealership now that we are back home. hopefully all the parts are available as I have already been down close to 20 days, and don't want to miss anymore trail time while the weather is good.

Sponsored

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU, 1999 Cherokee XJ
@JeepCares or anyone else,

I just returned home with my 2019 JLUR and noticed it is leaking some purple fluid down the front of the engine. It is a constant leak, leaves puddles anytime it sits.

Any idea what this could be? I bought from a dealer out of state, so really not looking forward to trying to get a major service done on a brand new Jeep from a dealer I did not buy it from. I had plans to go on a few trips, now am not sure I should.

What is the best way to get this into a dealer, and will I be without for weeks? Having a leak like this right away is a little scary.

8A2F19A0-30AD-4D37-9197-7B66E18CE202.jpeg

D79FACD5-B5BB-4521-8B41-6479ABE3A8BA.jpeg
get FCA involved and call jeep cares complain and get a case number. arrange a rental which they should pay and insist since you are out of state. I took mine 3 times to the dealer and got them to issue me a rental

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
get FCA involved and call jeep cares complain and get a case number. arrange a rental which they should pay and insist since you are out of state. I took mine 3 times to the dealer and got them to issue me a rental
yes, been there done all of that. I started with Jeep cares and had a case number. once FCA got involved my Jeep cares case was closed and FCA is now taking over. so far all dealers have been great on getting me a rental, however inherited almost 3 weeks it has been in the shop only 2 of those days (from the dealership out of state when travelling) did I get a Wrangler. It was a nice 2 days though as I received a 2017 JKU and was able to remember how nice a Jeep can drive.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

Today's update: FCA Management rep called to tell me that the dealership in AZ did not replicate the issues that were noted. Even though the MO dealership verified, and documented everything along with the parts that were needed the FCA rep said nothing will be done about it because the AZ dealership did not find the issue.

To have the corporate stance that you don't stand behind your dealerships is crazy. If a dealer documented defects or faulty parts, and nots that they are backordered, I would assume the parts would be ordered and installed. However since I had issues while on vacation, and a dealership not local documented the items they will not be fixed because the AZ dealer says they are not an issue. So per the AZ dealership, play in the tie rods is normal, and tires wearing with ridges on only the outside is not an issue. Also normal to leak coolant and have excessive play in steering. The only way I can get this fixed is if I take it back to the dealership in MO, and FCA will not help.

It is crazy that a vehicle with well documented cases of poor steering, and an FCA dealership verification that it is defective, will take the corporate stance to put it back on the road unsafe just because the dealership back in your home state says there is no issue they find.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

Today's update: FCA Management rep called to tell me that the dealership in AZ did not replicate the issues that were noted. Even though the MO dealership verified, and documented everything along with the parts that were needed the FCA rep said nothing will be done about it because the AZ dealership did not find the issue.

To have the corporate stance that you don't stand behind your dealerships is crazy. If a dealer documented defects or faulty parts, and nots that they are backordered, I would assume the parts would be ordered and installed. However since I had issues while on vacation, and a dealership not local documented the items they will not be fixed because the AZ dealer says they are not an issue. So per the AZ dealership, play in the tie rods is normal, and tires wearing with ridges on only the outside is not an issue. Also normal to leak coolant and have excessive play in steering. The only way I can get this fixed is if I take it back to the dealership in MO, and FCA will not help.

It is crazy that a vehicle with well documented cases of poor steering, and an FCA dealership verification that it is defective, will take the corporate stance to put it back on the road unsafe just because the dealership back in your home state says there is no issue they find.
My local dealership called me later today. He explained that he had in fact ordered the parts that the out of state dealership noted as bad and needed replaced. He said one of them was the track bar, but it was on restriction. A "Jeep" rep. Called the local dealership and denied their warranty parts request for the Track bar, and the new drag link end. He said that the Jeep rep said they are not allowed to order any parts, or perform any work until I come down in person and "prove" to th dealership that the issues really exist. I asked about the videos, pictures, and MO dealership documentation, as well as the fact that the parts can be shaken by hand, and now the tires are worn as proof and he said no. I have to demonstrate to them the issue on a drive before they will do anything. This is after having it for a week. He said they ordered the parts earlier this week, and the rep called today to deny the claim.

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered
I'm sorry to read all this. It sounds like such poor support. I'm in Arizona too and planning on buying a JL soon. What is the manufacture date of your JL? What dealers are we talking about? Posts like this make me 2nd guess my thoughts about buying a JL.
Sponsored