Wheel Bolt Sheared Off... Twice

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
About a year ago, we replaced our stock wheels and tires on our JLU Sport. Specifically, the wheels are American Outlaws (https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/american-outlaw-lonestar/p/53096)

A few months ago, one of the rear driver's side wheel bolts snapped off (we heard it rattling around the plastic covers on the wheels). We went to the same person who initially installed the wheels and tires and got the bolt replaced.

Fast forward to today, and we have yet another sheared off bolt, again from the rear driver's side. I can't tell whether or not it was the same bolt, but it certainly can't be coincidence.

I've done the research, and the consensus is that the bolt shearing off is a result of the lug nuts being under or over torqued. I do trust the mechanic that did the job, and I'm wondering whether or not it's a coincidence that, within 6 months, I have had the same issue on the same exact side.

Is it in any way possible that this is a wheel issue?

Thanks!
20190324_175238.jpg
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I would get the wheel itself checked out as well.. if the wheel hole or holes have become elongated, it may not be seating correctly and causing the stress to break as well as if it was loose it can elongate the hole/holes .. I hope that made sense :blush:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure if under-torquing would cause weakening of the actual stud over time but since the JLs require 130 ft. lbs and the JKs only about 85 it's possible the shop wasn't aware of the change???
Have you checked the lug nut torque?

OP
OP
lsmaverick

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Not sure if under-torquing would cause weakening of the actual stud over time but since the JLs require 130 ft. lbs and the JKs only about 85 it's possible the shop wasn't aware of the change???
Have you checked the lug nut torque?
That's a great point... the shop is used to JKs, so I'll definitely check the torque on the lug nuts. Thanks!
Sponsored