DIY 4-Tire Tire Inflator / Deflator

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
After seeing a few posts here with similar ideas, i decided to take the plunge and build a complete tire inflator / deflator system for my Jeep. Yes, I know could have bought a pre-built one for a lower price, but I wanted to make it break into 2 sections.

Turns out this is also awesome to equalize the 4 tires on my boat as well. I built it so I can disconnect it and use it just 2 at a time (which has already come in handy as I hooked up my spare to a person who had a nearly-flat in the parking lot and gave them enough air to make it to a shop.

Here are all the parts I bought:

I didn’t own the crimping pliers so I bought these as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3H6UIC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also - needed the clamps - so i bought a set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDCH1YK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, if you don’t have teflon tape you’ll need this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079T384Q1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple instructions: Cut off a 3 foot section off of the one end of each hose (with the 1/4 threaded end for the air chucks, then cut a 13 foot section off of the other end of the hose. Slide the clamp on to the hose BEFORE you put the hose on the Y and then crimp. Pay attention to how the hose is coiling before you do the final crimping so it all lays down nice.

wWyEG9YG-uzVTfwACWuIzRjeszRl_tLPLRWI4XkYw3j_5Jk3bb-rLgJVzZ2hhJCAwIEZfrJF7SusDwUb67hVm3c8aHUuGaZK.jpg

Next connect the 4 air-chucks to the ends of the threaded air hoses with teflon tape.

Take the remaining cut amount of 9’ of air hose, slide a clamp on the hose and then put that on the last part of the barbed “Y” and crimp. The other end of that hose will attach to the manifold, once assembled.

Next assemble the manifold with the 4-way to the 3. Then install on the top of the 4-way the gauge removed from the gauge hose. Then install the air hose / tank valve on one side of the 4-way and the shut-off ball valve on the other side of the 4-way (both with teflon tape). Next, on the end of the ball-valve install the female air-hose plug. This gives you the option to fill up off of a compressor or just a normal air hose at a gas station.

Next install one of the barbed end on the T with teflon tape. Put a clamp on one of the 9’’ hoses and slide over the barb and then crimp. On the other side of the T, install male quick-disconnect with teflon tape. (NOTE: If you do not want to be able to just do 2 wheels at a time - you don’t need to do this - you can just put a barb on both sides of the T).

Slide a clamp on the last open 9’ section of hose and slide it on the barb and crimp it. Finally, attach the female air-hose plug with teflon tape. That is it - you are done - enjoy!

BRMycmj2oJm4OGfDUX1elTTBOwNddO8B7yqdzgz_hkibfhr-97UwwbHj-s5Cxqq-ye5iLwvoMVGMKyVZvNTuSUsW0Pqf0hSz.jpg

Now i just need to figure out which air-compressor to purchase.
Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was just barely lying in bed thinking about building one of these and decided to do a search and found this. Great timing! Thanks for the info it will definitely help.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Great minds think a like.

I did add an aluminum manifold I found on Amazon.

I bought the Viair 440P Portable Compressor it's the largest, highest flowing portable compressor in the entire Viair portable compressor lineup.

works great. The system deflates from 28 to 15 in about 4 minutes and back up in 12 minutes.

8BD05006-07EE-4329-A8DC-C9680A0AE9D5.jpeg

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
great setup. I bought a pre-built because I was lazy and it is really nice (MORRflate)

also bought the puma compressor with tank (its big but 100% duty cycle and airs up 4 of my 35's from 18 to 40 in just over 8 minutes)

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

I bought the Viair 440P Portable Compressor it's the largest, highest flowing portable compressor in the entire Viair portable compressor lineup.

works great. The system deflates from 28 to 15 in about 4 minutes and back up in 12 minutes.

Nice!! Did you mount the Viair?

Sponsored

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

Also, i like your release valve more than mine (I think) - it looks more substantial. That is the weak link in mine that i think will fail. Don you have a link for it?

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
There's no place to mount it on my JL. I'm just going to hook it to my battery under the hood when I use it.

@jerseymike i bet the tank is awesome. To big for my needs.

@szobell

This is the valve.

DERNORD Brass Mini Ball Valve NPT Thread,Chrome Plated (1/4" Female&Male) (Pack of 1)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KMR9H9D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_a4tOCb0HWS697

This is the manifold

Interstate Pneumatics FPM44S Aluminum Rectangle Pencil Manifold 4 Way Outlet 1/4 Inch NPT Female

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RRRIOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F5tOCb6PP9ZKT

This is the couplers

ColorFit by Milton Coupler & Plug Kit - (M-Style, Red) - 1/4" NPT, (14-Piece)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R7GG98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_r6tOCb63YHBAS

I also have added 3 release valves to let the air out.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Almost an exact copy. Just finished mine tonight. Took forever to get the correct crimp clamps from Fastenal. I did not want a kit of clamps that I'd never use. Thanks for the idea and help, @szobell .
dfotLO3BRDeCjmGt0yb9eA_thumb_6f3.jpg
N6frNW8hQBKUOtp2hVe18g_thumb_6f2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Almost an exact copy. Just finished mine tonight. Took forever to get the correct crimp clamps from Fastenal. I did not want a kit of clamps that I'd never use. Thanks for the idea and help, @szobell .
dfotLO3BRDeCjmGt0yb9eA_thumb_6f3.jpg
N6frNW8hQBKUOtp2hVe18g_thumb_6f2.jpg
Looks fantastic! I was just smiling at with mine tonight as i aired all 5 tires down to 32 after my oil change they had it at 38.

Did i mention that i recently added a 5th connection that I can choose to use or not use? I can use it in a 2, 4 or 5 tire configuration to transfer and equalize. I am loving this thing!!!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Looks fantastic! I was just smiling at with mine tonight as i aired all 5 tires down to 32 after my oil change they had it at 38.

Did i mention that i recently added a 5th connection that I can choose to use or not use? I can use it in a 2, 4 or 5 tire configuration to transfer and equalize. I am loving this thing!!!
Noice!

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Good ideas! I incorporated a similar set up and have air lines at every wheel and a valve in the back. Love it

image.jpg

4613E3A6-F785-49EA-9646-FE63A66A56B9.jpeg

image.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
All of these onboard air solutions are awesome! I didn’t want to mess with listening to a compressor so we just keep a 15 lb power tank in the back in one of their soft sided cases. Takes about 45 seconds to air back up on 37s

Brett

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Just finished building mine. I took a bit of a gamble on some different chucks as they were ~$17 for all four and get good reviews on Amazon. So far they seem to work well but I haven't fully tested the system for leaks. I'm waiting for the thread sealant to cure. I may remove the ball valve or the valve core from the tank/schrader valve and just screw a Staun defalator on there when I want to air down, depending on the air-down time. Anyway, thanks for all the ideas and parts links!

20200111_144051.jpg
20200111_143827.jpg
20200111_143816.jpg
Sponsored