Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
@timn1984

The more you say, the more, I feel you are a poster boy for having and routinely using a trickle charger.

With all those short trips, 30 miles a week driving the JL, multiple times the vehicle is started, Uconnect using 12v, etc, etc.... and the JL's alternator just isn't given enough drive time to charge up the Aux battery. Then the JL is sitting lots and while sitting it is always using some 12v power... ......Again, you are undoubtedly a poster child for trickle charging.

Consider getting a decent trickle charger ($45+-) and also installing the quick disconnect cable that comes with it. Now, connect the trickle charger for a few hours every week or so. I've suggested this to other's here and they .... after a few weeks pm'd and said... no more “ESS not ready battery charging”.

In closing, my feeling is, especially, a JL owner ..... needs a decent battery trickle charger and a quality set of battery jumper cables in their arsenal.

Sounds like I need a trickle charger. Any idea on which one? And are they easy to install? I like the idea of the quick disconnect cable. I’m a fairly capable person but am new to fixing jeeps. Any guidance on installation would be helpful.
Sponsored

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My driving pattern is very similar to yours, 5 miles daily to work, 30 miles to church on Sunday and occasional errands. I live in a cold climate and my ESS always works once the engine warms up. I'm pretty sure “ESS not ready battery charging” is referring to your main battery because that's what the IBS monitors. A bad ESS battery could drain the main battery over night, but if you are still having charging issues with the new ESS battery, there might be other problems. You can either have the dealer check it out again, regularly trickle charge it to see if that helps, use a voltmeter to monitor battery voltages yourself, or any combination of those until the issue is resolved.
@Jebiruph is the battery wiz here! :handsinair:

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
Hello, Does the smaller battery charge while driving with the ESS turned off ??? Thanks

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
So after reading his, where is the auxillary battery located and how big is it? Is it like the size of the main battery? How often will it need replaced?

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
So after reading his, where is the auxillary battery located and how big is it? Is it like the size of the main battery? How often will it need replaced?
Smaller...located under right fender under main.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Great more stuff to go bad and replace!!!! :(
I remember when vehicles were much simplier to work on and repair. The average mechanically inclined person could fix his vehicle or modify it on his Saturday afternoon. Now a days it take a technical team of experts to diagnose a problem. How are things better?

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I need a trickle charger. Any idea on which one? And are they easy to install? I like the idea of the quick disconnect cable. I’m a fairly capable person but am new to fixing jeeps. Any guidance on installation would be helpful.
So I bought a trickle charger (Amazon). Have not hooked it up yet, but my ESS has been working like a charm since the purchase. I guess the act of buying it "fixed" the problem.... Uncanny how that works.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I use a trickle charge once a month, it’s not a big deal with the quick disconnect and only takes about 12 hrs or so to go green so I put it on about 5 or 6 pm and by morning it’s done, my hope is my batteries with stay healthy longer

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Would there be any issue you guys can forsee by adding a larger battery to run my 12v fridge. It will be a group94 size AGM

Thanks

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
By disconnecting the battery monitor to defeat the ESS, is that going to hurt any monitoring function the electronics need? Since I don’t use the ESS, can I just disconnect the aux battery completely and just use it like a regular car/truck before ESS? Any drawbacks except having a possible charged spare aux battery?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
By disconnecting the battery monitor to defeat the ESS, is that going to hurt any monitoring function the electronics need? Since I don’t use the ESS, can I just disconnect the aux battery completely and just use it like a regular car/truck before ESS? Any drawbacks except having a possible charged spare aux battery?
Seems like I've read Grand Cherokee owners with the dual battery ESS where unplugging the sensor to disable ESS, but I don't remember any details.

This thread discusses disconnecting the Aux battery.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/
Sponsored