Sponsored

Active Noise Control (Cancellation) feature comes to Jeep Wrangler JL

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
Yeah, I'm much better here than I am on the Gladdy Forum;)
Well the JT forum doesn't have much data to pull from yet. We still don't know what's involved to take a soft top off.
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I think its a myth if we cant verify its installed or functioning & anything the dealer has told anyone should be taken with a grain of salt as overall they dont know or care to understand their product offerings!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
"Alpine® 9-Speaker Premium Audio System

$1,295

• The Alpine® Premium Audio System provides crisp, clear sound for an enhanced listening experience. This 9-speaker system includes a rear subwoofer and a 552W, 12 channel amplifier.
INCLUDES:

Active Noise-Control System (Unavailable with some configurations)"

What configurations is it unavailable with?
Hi STEFF . . . I see your "multitasking" (JL /JT) . . . sounds familiar !
You seem different over here at JL . . . more "refined" & "composed". :giggle:

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well the JT forum doesn't have much data to pull from yet. We still don't know what's involved to take a soft top off.
I bet it'll be easier than the JL ! oh and ps; Misanthrope may be a (fellow) L.I. "LONER," but I bet he would be more than happy to make your acquaintance long enough to grab your new (whatever) Wrangler and use it as his Sidekick Loner (vehicle).
Kinda hard to be a 'misanthrope' on "Crowded Long Island" eh Missy ? :clap: :LOL: . . . don't stink up your panties I'm just having fun, after all I am a "born & raised Islander" too.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This from the March 2019 Customer Preferred Code Guide:
ANC.PNG
ANC2.PNG

You'll see that the ANCS (code JLW) is included with the Alpine Premium Audio upgrade (alone as RC4 or as part of the AEK 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group), but only with EC3, which is the 2.0L Turbo engine. As it is an active system, it cannot be enabled/disabled like a passive system can.
If you have the 2.0 and it has either audio upgrade, then you have ANC. If you don't have the 2.0 with either upgrade, then you don't have ANC. Simple.
NICE Detective work ! You plan on trading in that Schwinn for a JL or JT ? Or ?
I asked around but have not got an answer to . . . Is Nunnley's (spelling?) Carousel amusement "park" still on Sunrise Hwy. ?

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Some more recent info from Jeep website:

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-active-noise-control-cancellation 2.jpg

If you reviewed the JL Wrangler Order Guide and the updated JLU Wrangler Order Guide we just posted, you'll notice there's now something called Active Noise Control listed under the Electronic Infotainment Sys Group and Alpine Premium Audio System option.

This feature is likely to operate like the "Active Noise Cancellation" function in the Jeep Gand Cherokee and Chrysler Pacific which uses the audio system and strategically placed microphones (four in the Grand Cherokee and Pacifica) to introduce opposite-wave sound to the cabin in order to offset unwanted sounds, leading to a quieter cabin (by reducing NVH).

In the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and SRT models, the Active Noise Cancellation system also offsets exhaust drone by creating counteracting sound waves to keep the vehicle quieter at highway speeds.

Here's a technical overview of how it operates in the Jeep Grand Cherokee:

The Active Noise Control (ANC) module performs the creation of signals appropriate to cancel engine order related vehicle noises from the engine. It creates these signals in proportion to the Engine RPM plus any other needed input.
  • The ANC module obtains the engine RPM from the vehicle Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
  • The signals that the ANC module creates includes at least four simultaneous signals equivalent to sine wave frequencies in designated ratios tracking the engine RPM, to cancel engine order related noises, plus other optional signals that can enhance the cancellation effect.
  • To maintain the effectiveness of the noise cancellation over the full range of vehicle operating conditions and seating locations, the ANC module has four outputs and process signals from four microphone assemblies located in the headliner.
  • The ANC module supports mixing the four ANC signals into any output channel at a point after all of the signal processing required
  • The ANC module operates on vehicle battery power and has its state of operation controlled by CAN-B bus messages.
  • In addition to performing active noise cancellation, the ANC module supplies power to the loudspeakers.

Finally, besides a quieter cabin, two extra benefits of the noise cancelling feature is that it allows engineers to achieve more fuel-efficient engine calibrations due to the reduced need for NVH related tradeoffs, as well as reducing the need for heavy acoustic-damping material that add unwanted weight.
Maybe this is why I cant hear the roof noise people talk about on this forum......

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This from the March 2019 Customer Preferred Code Guide:
ANC.PNG
ANC2.PNG

You'll see that the ANCS (code JLW) is included with the Alpine Premium Audio upgrade (alone as RC4 or as part of the AEK 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group), but only with EC3, which is the 2.0L Turbo engine. As it is an active system, it cannot be enabled/disabled like a passive system can.
If you have the 2.0 and it has either audio upgrade, then you have ANC. If you don't have the 2.0 with either upgrade, then you don't have ANC. Simple.
So the noise reduction only comes with the 2.0? Well that blows my theory. I thought I had it because I cannot hear any unusual road noise in my 2018 Sahara JL with Alpine.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe this is why I cant hear the roof noise people talk about on this forum......
To many Sound Waves Crashing into my Brain. . . :angry: . . . can't they all just leave us be ? Wish I may, wish I might, wish my JL/JT Cabin were like I was in SPACE Flight ! . . . ah, total SPACE Silence .
Sponsored