Sincerely,
An Okie (not from Muskogee tho)
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Glad they were ok, however, VERY skeptical that a "strong" gust of wind picked that Jeep up and flipped it over with no other contributing factor that caused that roll over.

no freakin' way.

HIGHLY unlikely it was the wind alone. In fact near impossible.
What's even more amazing is that the roll over happened right in front of a Tesla that self-crashed itself because it was dodging a Prius with a runaway accelerator pedal!

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
What's even more amazing is that the roll over happened right in front of a Tesla that self-crashed itself because it was dodging a Prius with a runaway accelerator pedal!
:fist bump:

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My Mustang GT was 3,860. The next GT500 is supposed to top 4,200lbs. With modern safety requirements, 4,200lbs is extremely light for an SUV. You are comparing cars from 15+ years ago.
As I said, it's more aerodynamics than weight. Compare the overall height of the Wrangler to the GT500 and compare how much air gets under the Mustang to the Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler is as far away from being defined as a car than any other crossover/suv on the market.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A 2018 JLU Sport is listed at 4200 lbs. That isn't a lightweight vehicle. My Trans Am is 3600 lbs. My Cherokee is 3600 lbs and the previous one is 3300 lbs. The current Wrangler is not light weight.

My house does have better aerodynamics, and wind will affect it, however. Even 20 mph can affect it when you figure it's got the aerodynamic properties of a sail.
4,200 lbs. is extremely light weight.

A Grand Cherokee is 5,000+

A Gladiator is 5,000+

Almost every other midsize 4x4 in the segment is 4,600 to 5,000 lbs.

A Mustang GT is almost 3,900 lbs.

Jeep did a great job of keeping the Wrangler on a diet...and it FEELS like it the first time you get in one after driving other vehicles.

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
4,200 lbs. is extremely light weight.

A Grand Cherokee is 5,000+

A Gladiator is 5,000+

Almost every other midsize 4x4 in the segment is 4,600 to 5,000 lbs.

A Mustang GT is almost 3,900 lbs.

Jeep did a great job of keeping the Wrangler on a diet...and it FEELS like it the first time you get in one after driving other vehicles.
Compared to a Grand Cherokee it's light weight LOL 4200 lbs to the wind isn't a lot. It's still going to feel the wind and it's going to push, but it's no TJ or JK level of worry. It's certainly not tipping due to it. If that was the case, every semi in the US would have to tie itself down in anything over 10 MPH winds.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
My Mustang GT was 3,860. The next GT500 is supposed to top 4,200lbs. With modern safety requirements, 4,200lbs is extremely light for an SUV. You are comparing cars from 15+ years ago.
The point is over your head. I'm not comparing them to other cars to say it's a fat pig. I'm comparing them to other cars to say that while wind will still push it, it's not going to be pushed as bad as other cars that are just as bad aerodynamically, yet weigh in at a lower weight.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
At least when the wind blows I have something to blame the lane changing on.
I have a Ford Transit van that is like a sail also. Any big box will get pushed around by a good gust.

OP
OP
aprez27

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody is a comedian... 3rd Jeep, was just comparing my JLUR to my old JKUR. Both on 35's, but the JK had a lift. My TJ old was tight in the wind. I was driving the JK for 9 years, TJ for 5 before that. I know what a Jeep thing is. lol Thanks all. Next you're all going to tell me that the windshields break easily. Went through 7 in 9 years in my JK.

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Regardless of whatever the weight of the JL is or is not, the Wrangler has the aerodynamics of a frickin' brick! I would expect it to be blown around in a light breeze. Come on, people...it's just a "Jeep thing" and one of those issues you have to get used to and expect. :facepalm:

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Compared to a Grand Cherokee it's light weight LOL 4200 lbs to the wind isn't a lot. It's still going to feel the wind and it's going to push, but it's no TJ or JK level of worry. It's certainly not tipping due to it. If that was the case, every semi in the US would have to tie itself down in anything over 10 MPH winds.

It is starting to sound like you would prefer something more aerodynamic like a Honda Pilot. If you thought that the wrangler was going to be slippery in the wind...well..Surprise!

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
My question would be, does a steering stabilizer help it drive better, windy or not? Took a 2 hour trip south and it was a chore to drive for sure w/ the wind. Looking at the Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
My JLU is way better in the wind then my 2017 JKU.
Now that you have the JL do you find yourself driving downwind more often ? :clap:
Sponsored