Sponsored

CB Antenna Mounting Solutions in the Hood/Fender Areas

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is where I mounted my dual band 2m/70cm antenna. Worked out slick. I'll mount my ID5100 tomorrow

20190225_110223.jpg

20190225_131643.jpg
Can you post a pic of the actual mount you used and how it's mounted to the body? I have the same antenna, and I used a generic NMO mount with 3 screws and drilled it directly into the body above the rear passenger tail light (I have a thread on here somewhere). I'm really interested in moving it and your install is the ideal place.
Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Can you post a pic of the actual mount you used and how it's mounted to the body? I have the same antenna, and I used a generic NMO mount with 3 screws and drilled it directly into the body above the rear passenger tail light (I have a thread on here somewhere). I'm really interested in moving it and your install is the ideal place.
This is what I used.

Screenshot_20190320-191843_Amazon Shopping.jpg

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is what I used.

Screenshot_20190320-191843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
That's the same bracket I have, lol. I guess I can just mach it up and confirm that it's the same and it will work. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to plug the 3 holes I drilled in the rear body now.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
That's the same bracket I have, lol. I guess I can just mach it up and confirm that it's the same and it will work. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to plug the 3 holes I drilled in the rear body now.
Leave the bracket on the back.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Why do you suggest that?
You aren't gaining any height by moving it.
In the rear it's in close relation to the spare tire (steel belts) and the rear of the roll cage.
In the front it's in close relation to the windshield frame.
On the rear passenger side your signal is skewed towards the driver's front.
On the front driver side your signal is skewed towards the passenger rear.
Nothing really to be gained by moving it.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
2018-08-31-19-05-33.jpg
]I just finished my install of the Rugged Ridge Multiplexor kit on my 2018 JL today. More challenging than they show in the JK install video. Had to stuff the miltiplexor under the passenger glovebox. Not pretty. After extending the FS2 antenna extender past its limit with a 2.5 SWR I replaced it with a 3" stainless bolt of identical threads and got SWR down to 1:1.1. Tested on AM/FM and 27MHz, no issues. Works great!
I was just outside scoping out what's behind the glove box and I was not able to find the stock radio antenna cable going out the external antenna. In the install vid for this on the JK, that wire is readily available. It would be very handy to use that wire to fish the new antenna cable through the firewall.

How did you locate the FM antenna cable?? Did you have to remove the filter or anything else from behind the glove box?? I am not going to buy this kit until I am sure I can install it.

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

MRFISH

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLU RUBICON
Vehicle Showcase
Harry - Would you mind terribly taking off the cowl cover, and taking a picture of the L-Bracket mounted with the antenna and cable? Thanks!!

Sponsored

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I was just outside scoping out what's behind the glove box and I was not able to find the stock radio antenna cable going out the external antenna. In the install vid for this on the JK, that wire is readily available. It would be very handy to use that wire to fish the new antenna cable through the firewall.

How did you locate the FM antenna cable?? Did you have to remove the filter or anything else from behind the glove box?? I am not going to buy this kit until I am sure I can install it.

Thanks for any info you can provide!!
I had to open the quarter panel to look into the double wall where the cable passes through. Took a long flat screwdriver and detached the passthru rubber grommet. You can then pull the existing cable out and attach the new connector cable. Once you feed it into the glove compartment area you should be able to see the cable. It's not easy to see. Lots of wires up there. Hope this helps.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I had to open the quarter panel to look into the double wall where the cable passes through. Took a long flat screwdriver and detached the passthru rubber grommet. You can then pull the existing cable out and attach the new connector cable. Once you feed it into the glove compartment area you should be able to see the cable. It's not easy to see. Lots of wires up there. Hope this helps.
That helps a LOT!

I REALLY do not want to install an antenna in the back near the tire carrier and this kit is a perfect(ish) solution. I am going to spend some quality time with the glove box and quarter panel tomorrow and see what I can see. If I can find that FM antenna wire and set up a plan to route the cables I am definitely buying this kit.

I did buy these and hopefully they'll help me get some panels off:

upload_2019-3-30_18-21-10.png

Thanks again for your help!!

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
That helps a LOT!

I REALLY do not want to install an antenna in the back near the tire carrier and this kit is a perfect(ish) solution. I am going to spend some quality time with the glove box and quarter panel tomorrow and see what I can see. If I can find that FM antenna wire and set up a plan to route the cables I am definitely buying this kit.

I did buy these and hopefully they'll help me get some panels off:

upload_2019-3-30_18-21-10.png

Thanks again for your help!!
You are most welcome. Those tool do come in handy. Good luck. You will use some difficult positions to get in there.