gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been looking through the forums and I’m trying to figure out where it’s best to wire my ROAM rock rails (fingers crossed, should get them this week). I’d like for the lights to come on when the vehicle unlocks, either through the unlock button on keyfob or button on the door or senses the keyfob (yep, I did get that option when I bought the JLUR). I’d like the light to stay on until the door is shut, turn back on when the door opens, and stay on until the keyfob is no longer sensed (or for some period of time after the door is locked). Any thoughts?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
tte_chris did a detailed write up. try to find that, theres a ton of great information

brett

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
That should be fine. But that means they will only be on when you have the switch on. They won't come on when you unlock the doors.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Mine are wired directly to the hot wire on the footwell led lights. They are run in parallel. The amp draw is prettty low because they are all led and I have yet to have issues. They come on and off and fade with the interior ambient lighting, which is controlled by the key fob and the doors.

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That should be fine. But that means they will only be on when you have the switch on. They won't come on when you unlock the doors.
I think I’m going to go pick up a relay and have it close
Mine are wired directly to the hot wire on the footwell led lights. They are run in parallel. The amp draw is prettty low because they are all led and I have yet to have issues. They come on and off and fade with the interior ambient lighting, which is controlled by the key fob and the doors.
I went and grabbed a single pole relay double throw from the local auto shop. Wiring the relay up to the internal lights, when they are on; battery feeds the rock rails, and when the relay is off, the auxiliary switch feeds the rock rails. If the aux switch is off, no light, and on, let there be light. And that is my theory and I’m sticking to it. Here is that relay.
https://m.autozone.com/electrical-a...tors/849395_0_0?OnetoOne=true&searchText=Rl45

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I think I’m going to go pick up a relay and have it close

I went and grabbed a single pole relay double throw from the local auto shop. Wiring the relay up to the internal lights, when they are on; battery feeds the rock rails, and when the relay is off, the auxiliary switch feeds the rock rails. If the aux switch is off, no light, and on, let there be light. And that is my theory and I’m sticking to it. Here is that relay.
https://m.autozone.com/electrical-a...tors/849395_0_0?OnetoOne=true&searchText=Rl45
You lost me on the relay usage. I see you are trying to use two different switched power sources (the interior lights and the aux switch) but from there I am lost on how you are making that happen.
My thought would be wire the steps to the aux switch.
Run power (whether relay switched or direct just depends on your circuit amp load) from the interior foot lights to the power wire that you ran from the aux switch to the steps.
Put resistors in line on both power wires (from steps and aux switch) before they connect to one another to prevent back feeding from one circuit to another.
I think that might work. Every time I’ve had something with 2 separate power sources I’ve had to put resistors in line somewhere.

Edit: I can’t remember if it was resistors or capacitors ( I get the two confused).

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
Wired my lights directly to the foot well lights (Yellow wire with red line + black wire) works beautifully.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been looking through the forums and I’m trying to figure out where it’s best to wire my ROAM rock rails (fingers crossed, should get them this week). I’d like for the lights to come on when the vehicle unlocks, either through the unlock button on keyfob or button on the door or senses the keyfob (yep, I did get that option when I bought the JLUR). I’d like the light to stay on until the door is shut, turn back on when the door opens, and stay on until the keyfob is no longer sensed (or for some period of time after the door is locked). Any thoughts?
A quick update for anyone reading this.. I'll post a diagram of the wiring when I get done this week, but the rock rails are now hung! lol it only took about 12 hours. The majority of that time was spend on the rear-supports (4 door issue) that are mounted to the frame. ROAM sent these things called rivet-nuts. They work like wall anchors or are supposed to work like wall hangers. I tried for over 3 painful hours to get these things to catch, and then spent another 2 hours at the garage, where folks with the tools and experienced cursed these things up and down. Eventually, we came up with a way to use nuts with a built in locking nut and the original bolts to secure the two rail supports. I was able to stand and jump on both of them, so should be more than enough to be 1 of 4 supports (per side). Basically 6 hours of 12 hours were tied up with mounting the support brackets, 3-4 hours to get the wiring staged (majority was spent with me "complimenting" Jeep on their attention to detail on the firewall grommet install and reminding myself how much I "enjoy" running wires from inside the jeep to the outside), and about 2 hours doing the actual rail install (this is me all alone with my tools, garage, and some tunes). One gotcha, do not tighten all the rail support mounts until after you put the rail on the support. The brackets and the holes don't exactly line up out of the box, so you have to "shimmy" things around to make everything align, and then tighten everything up. Anyway, last part is finishing up the lights..

ROAM1.jpg

ROAM2.jpg

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot,, Emergency Red or Fire Engine Red spray paint.. Looks great on the ROAM back-plate. Really makes the side steps pop (3 year old told me this, so I'm sticking with it).

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase