Mikeg4572

Mikeg4572

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JKUR
I’m looking forward to ordering one myself. Just need to save up a little, been going crazy with the mods lately.
Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
As I mentioned in the other threads on tuning...we don't have a simple turbocharged 2.0 liter engine. We have a turbocharged 2.0 liter engine with a mild hybrid E-torque system. It's way more complex. If you screw with tuning the boost, does it impact the e-torque? How does it determine when e-torque is utilizied vs boost?

I would be very wary of any tuning unless the engineers explain these interactions in depth, and even then I would be cautious until some other guinea pigs have a few tens of thousands of miles on them.

Blowing up a turbo is bad. Blowing up your engine is worse. Melting your 24V e-torque system could be explosively bad.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm open minded if sceptical about the claims and was wondering the following:

If tuning gains are to be had from devices like this, why didn't FCA put these enhancements into the vehicle's design? Was there a down side to the performance enhacements this device might create that steered FCA away from such tweaks? Are the tweaks 100% legit but FCA was afraid it would raise vehicle cost beyond customer perceived benefit. Are the manufacturer claims likely to be less than spot on?

..not bashing anyone here. I'd love for the manufacturer's claims to be true.

...just trying to understand. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Id have to agree to everyones take on this. Need to see some jeep betas running around on the autobahn lol or something. Or find a German jeep jl forum that has to be translated. Just not enough info on their site for me jump in with both feet. Regardless, one can only do is read up on their past and present history. Im currently reading up on them being compared to other tuners on some of the most sophisticated engine management systems on $130K + boosted machines.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568555

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase

If tuning gains are to be had from devices like this, why didn't FCA put these enhancements into the vehicle's design? Was there a down side to the performance enhacements this device might create that steered FCA away from such tweaks? Are the tweaks 100% legit but FCA was afraid it would raise vehicle cost beyond customer perceived benefit. Are the manufacturer claims likely to be less than spot on?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not sure I can answer all your questions but I can shed some light on some issues.

Large gains from tunes and/or simple mods are pretty standard on forced induction engines. Honestly, these numbers are not all that massive. N54 guys used to get 70/100 from a tune, throw on a larger intercooler and downpipes and you were talking more like 140/170. This is clearly not an apples to apples comparison, but there are numerous examples out there that show the truth of tuning forced induction.

The manufacturers tune engines conservatively, their goal is the sweet spot of providing needed performance while also providing reliability from unit after unit over millions of customer miles. Aftermarket is able to push the envelope a little more, and with a reputable company 99% of people will be fine other than expected issues (example being brakes wearing faster with larger tires, it is going to happen but it is not something that is wrong with the brakes or tires). That being said, if the thought of this makes you uncomfortable, a piggyback tuner on FI is probably not going to be your thing. They certainly can cause issues under the right circumstances.

You should have heard the e90/e92 m3 guys absolutely trashing piggyback tuners for the 335, then they traded up to the f80/f82 and all of the sudden piggyback tuners were the way to go. It's all what you want and your risk tolerance. If I had a 2.0 I would be looking at doing it, but I probably wouldn't be the first in line.

Sponsored

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simple answer is, Emissions.
For that reason is why they say "For off-road use only"

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The only thing that's pushing me away right now is hearing (couple days ago) that the local dealer has already replaced four of the 2.0L engines after failures in the past few months. As such, I'm going to put at least 15k on my motor before considering anything. I'm getting over 400 miles on a tank of gas, but that'll drop heavily with even a small lift, 35's and a winch (probably 25%). Just don't like filling up that often, small annoyance I guess. I'm averaging about a tank a week right now, but admittedly that'll drop as I've been driving it like crazy since it's brand new.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing that's pushing me away right now is hearing (couple days ago) that the local dealer has already replaced four of the 2.0L engines after failures in the past few months. As such, I'm going to put at least 15k on my motor before considering anything. I'm getting over 400 miles on a tank of gas, but that'll drop heavily with even a small lift, 35's and a winch (probably 25%). Just don't like filling up that often, small annoyance I guess. I'm averaging about a tank a week right now, but admittedly that'll drop as I've been driving it like crazy since it's brand new.
What was the reason for the replaced motors?
Haven't herd much on engine replacement other than the one with the coolant problem.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
GTs is now only advertising as 44 ft/lb increase instead of the original 84.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not sure whether you are referring to power improvements or MPG improvements.
Referring power improvements, the answer is easy. The manufacturers do it, too. E.g. the BMW 320i and the 328i both came with the same N20 engine, but with a 60 hp difference. Not talking about the significant price difference. (sorry, I'm just familiar with the BMW world).
The Alfa Stelvio comes with the same 2.0L Turbo as the Wrangler and has 280 hp. So, there is at least 10 hp potential :) Additionally, manufacturers include some safety tolerance, because some people might not treat it as well as we do (bad maintenance or bad fuel quality e.g. in South America or Africa).
When it comes to MPG, I am not sure. RaceChip states:
"With appropriate driving habits, you can improve fuel economy by up to 20% when using RaceChip. Besides increasing the efficiency of the fuel injection RaceChip increases the available torque, which allows for earlier gear changes and overall less shifting. This lowers your car's fuel consumption." Link: https://www.racechip.us/chip-tuning/remapping.html
This means:
1) it is directly related to increased torque. With higher torque, you can drive in higher gears and thus have lower average rpms = less fuel. Makes sense. So the power improvements explains it.
2) "up to +20% MPG" is their general marketing claim for all products and not specific for the Jeep Wrangler. So, it still has to be proven. I don't think it is realistic.
I use RaceChip in my BMW, but MPG was not the reason why I pulled the trigger :) I indeed improved MPG, but definitely not 20%.

Edit: The guy in the Facebook group wrote about the RaceChip: I'm getting about 16mpg with the programmer but to be fair I have it in the highest settings and driving like I stole it. I have JLUR with 4.10 gears and 35" tires. There are 7 different tunes you can run. There are no local shops with a Dyno. I an a very sceptical person but the gains are very real.

It doesn't help. I have to get one, too!

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
Not sure whether you are referring to power improvements or MPG improvements.
Referring power improvements, the answer is easy. The manufacturers do it, too. E.g. the BMW 320i and the 328i both came with the same N20 engine, but with a 60 hp difference. Not talking about the significant price difference. (sorry, I'm just familiar with the BMW world).
The Alfa Stelvio comes with the same 2.0L Turbo as the Wrangler and has 280 hp. So, there is at least 10 hp potential :) Additionally, manufacturers include some safety tolerance, because some people might not treat it as well as we do (bad maintenance or bad fuel quality e.g. in South America or Africa).
When it comes to MPG, I am not sure. RaceChip states:
"With appropriate driving habits, you can improve fuel economy by up to 20% when using RaceChip. Besides increasing the efficiency of the fuel injection RaceChip increases the available torque, which allows for earlier gear changes and overall less shifting. This lowers your car's fuel consumption." Link: https://www.racechip.us/chip-tuning/remapping.html
This means:
1) it is directly related to increased torque. With higher torque, you can drive in higher gears and thus have lower average rpms = less fuel. Makes sense. So the power improvements explains it.
2) "up to +20% MPG" is their general marketing claim for all products and not specific for the Jeep Wrangler. So, it still has to be proven. I don't think it is realistic.
I use RaceChip in my BMW, but MPG was not the reason why I pulled the trigger :) I indeed improved MPG, but definitely not 20%.

Edit: The guy in the Facebook group wrote about the RaceChip: I'm getting about 16mpg with the programmer but to be fair I have it in the highest settings and driving like I stole it. I have JLUR with 4.10 gears and 35" tires. There are 7 different tunes you can run. There are no local shops with a Dyno. I an a very sceptical person but the gains are very real.

It doesn't help. I have to get one, too!
It’s awesome that someone has tried it and can give info. Also curious for the guy with the bmw it’s nice to have his feedback also. My question is that to be honest I’ve never heard of these guys so I’m curious about how effective and reliable their products are. How was it longevity wise for your BMW? I’m a bit skeptical and just wondering if I should wait for “a more reputable company” to crack the tune. Only because let’s say I went with race chips and then in the mean time super chips or a more reputable company comes out with one I don’t wanna have to deal with erasing the original tune (if it could even be done) and all that crap.

WranglerBoost

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Turbo
It’s awesome that someone has tried it and can give info. Also curious for the guy with the bmw it’s nice to have his feedback also. My question is that to be honest I’ve never heard of these guys so I’m curious about how effective and reliable their products are. How was it longevity wise for your BMW? I’m a bit skeptical and just wondering if I should wait for “a more reputable company” to crack the tune. Only because let’s say I went with race chips and then in the mean time super chips or a more reputable company comes out with one I don’t wanna have to deal with erasing the original tune (if it could even be done) and all that crap.
Actually, RaceChip is the most reputable piggyback company for tuning of BMWs, Audis, VWs and Mercedes in the world (e.g. they have 270k Facebook fans: https://www.facebook.com/racechipUSA/). They opened their US office just one year ago, so they are not as well known in the US as in other countries. Especially when it comes to US cars. But in Europe, they have a long history. My shipment came directly from Germany back then.

It's important that you understand their technology. It's a piggyback system, which is installed under the hood between the sensors and the ecu. It's a simpler solution than cracking the ecu, but also safer when done right. All engine protection mechanisms remain active. Furthermore, I can remove the product in just 5 min and the car is in stock condition again. No traces left. Perfect for leased cars.
Disadvantages: an ecu reprogramming can release more power (but is of course less safe, especially if it is no reputable brand). Many people don't like piggybacks, because they think about the crap you find on ebay. But I am more than happy so far. So, I just ordered one for my Wrangler :)
Sponsored