First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Rather get something that is made correctly than ruin my hardtop over a faulty product.
It comes out in April. Not that much longer
I agree, but they've been pushing their dates for a while now. Some of us have been waiting since October if not longer. Was supposed to be Fall of 2018, then Feb for sure, then March, and now April.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I have even thought about using the Mopar Rack at this point.

Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Just want to share how I setup my RTT using the Thule Gutter Mount, and I am not even sure how effective this is.
Basically I am not concern having a RTT mount while the car is in motion. However, I think the higher static weight may not work.

So what I have is the Smittybilt Overlander RTT which I used at only once last summer.
I purchased some Yoga Block and fit them between the roof and the Roll Bars. When I arrive the camp site, I fit a toddler size air mattress between the roof & the tent. What I am hoping is using the air mattress to evenly distribute some of the weight on to the roof, which is then partially supported by the foam blocks under the roof top.

Here are some pictures of the blocks and the RTT with the air Mattress in between.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

RTT.jpg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
You know. I've thought of that too. Why not put some Rubber Bump stops between the Hard Top and the Roll Bars. Would seem if done right it would pretty much act the same as having a Backbone system etc.

Something like this https://amzn.to/2HJPCLk

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 1.28.48 PM.png

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Just want to share how I setup my RTT using the Thule Gutter Mount, and I am not even sure how effective this is.
Basically I am not concern having a RTT mount while the car is in motion. However, I think the higher static weight may not work.

So what I have is the Smittybilt Overlander RTT which I used at only once last summer.
I purchased some Yoga Block and fit them between the roof and the Roll Bars. When I arrive the camp site, I fit a toddler size air mattress between the roof & the tent. What I am hoping is using the air mattress to evenly distribute some of the weight on to the roof, which is then partially supported by the foam blocks under the roof top.

Here are some pictures of the blocks and the RTT with the air Mattress in between.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

RTT.jpg
I wish you all the best :), but I would be very careful with this approach. A new hardtop is much more than a decent rack.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered the Maximus-3 Rack with the Forums code on northridge. Not bad for under 1200. I'm getting a very good rack that will be more than capable of carrying what I need. I've waited long enough for the backbone system and honestly I think the Maximus-3 will be better. It puts the mounting points more inwards towards the center instead of the backbones which go right to the edge. I bet that causes the rack to bow in a tad in the center.

Sponsored

Go4aRyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, FJ Cruiser, JLUR
I just ordered the Maximus-3 Rack with the Forums code on northridge. Not bad for under 1200. I'm getting a very good rack that will be more than capable of carrying what I need. I've waited long enough for the backbone system and honestly I think the Maximus-3 will be better. It puts the mounting points more inwards towards the center instead of the backbones which go right to the edge. I bet that causes the rack to bow in a tad in the center.
Ditto here. I mounted mine last week. I’m patient, but have already waited a year for a backbone. Should have done it last spring!

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I am interested to get the Maximus-3 Rack myself, but ran into 2 questions:
1> I have a Top Lift Pro, I emailed them rather or not I can still use that lift with the rack, and I was told it has not been tested, but they are working on their version of roof rack which will be compatible. I actually like the Maximus-3, so if anyone happen to have this setup with a Top Lift Pro to test it with, that would be awesome!!
2> Are you experience much wind noise? My Thule gutter mount with square bars whistle pretty loud.

Thanks

Ditto here. I mounted mine last week. I’m patient, but have already waited a year for a backbone. Should have done it last spring!

Go4aRyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, FJ Cruiser, JLUR
I am interested to get the Maximus-3 Rack myself, but ran into 2 questions:
1> I have a Top Lift Pro, I emailed them rather or not I can still use that lift with the rack, and I was told it has not been tested, but they are working on their version of roof rack which will be compatible. I actually like the Maximus-3, so if anyone happen to have this setup with a Top Lift Pro to test it with, that would be awesome!!
2> Are you experience much wind noise? My Thule gutter mount with square bars whistle pretty loud.

Thanks
I am currently getting a little whistle at the end caps-the RR caps are nice, but still open quite a bit. I tapped up the ends as a test and no more whistle.

I didn’t leave the tape on, and will fix a more permanent solution. At least the whistle isn’t coming from the bottom channels!!!! Only trick is you don’t really want to completely close the ends or moisture can’t escape. Still thinking on how to best resolve. Right now I am thinking of just slipping some backing on the inside of the end cap plugs. Should be simple.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a recommendation for a rack/basket to haul camping gear. Max 70 pound weight limit. I don’t need the high weight requirements for a RTT. Just something cheap(ish) and easily removable please. Thanks!

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Looking for a recommendation for a rack/basket to haul camping gear. Max 70 pound weight limit. I don’t need the high weight requirements for a RTT. Just something cheap(ish) and easily removable please. Thanks!
While waiting for the backbone, I picked up the Mopar roof rack...you can add a basket to that and be good to go. I liked how wide the feet are that attach to the gutters. I believe the racks are made by Yakima.
Sponsored