6spd and 11.06 questions

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Have been using my tazer lite for about a month now. All I've changed is my tire size. I left it installed in the vehicle.

But then I'd read about 11.06 causing some battery issues...and I'd read about 11.08 having some install issues.

So my plan was to just remove the tazer, without unmarrying. 1st question, is it just that easy? I don't have to do anything else? Just unplug the tazer, and reconnect the wires?

I tried to check the website, and this is where my second question comes in. I found a document stating that I need to do a top gear re-learn procedure because I have a 6spd....I had not seen this information previously

I have not had any errors or issues,...so do I actually need to perform this procedure?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@AwCrimety

Logan... Yes, that easy. Just leave the Tazer JL married, then remove Tazer JL hardware and reconnect the two cables back to the gateway.

IF/when you are going to take your JL to a Dealership Service Dept., do re-install the Tazer JL hardware and then do an unmarry.

After the dealership appt., you just reinstall the Tazer JL and remarry and of course, then you can remove the Tazer JL hardware again if you like.

As for your second question.. Never heard of this "top gear relearn" on your stock JL, that you are talking about... tell me more..

In closing... as I mentioned, all you need to do is remove the hardware and leave it married and then no more worries about battery issues related to the Tazer JL.... not that you would even had any..

By the way, I updated to 11.0.8 and had no issues. Lots of guys have done the same. YES, I left it married and removed the Tazer JL hardware.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AwCrimety

Why you umarry prior to a dealership appt.. One reason is you do not want the dealer to know you are using a programmer and also..

Also, you.... You unmarry, otherwise the dealer may wipe out your changes, which isn’t really an issue because you can still set them again, but if they do an update which changes the BCM config, and you’re not unmarried, when you finally do unmarry you’ll be erasing what the dealer just applied.

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Makes sense thanks.

If you go to the z automotive website, find the lite, click instructions, there's now a sheet for aupplemental manual instructions. I hadnt seen it before either.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense thanks.

If you go to the z automotive website, find the lite, click instructions, there's now a sheet for aupplemental manual instructions. I hadnt seen it before either.
@AwCrimety

Geeez, that supplemental instr. is a newly posted there.

With that said, do reach out to Joe and ask him...

Let us know what Joe says..

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those reading this thread that have the manual transmission and are running any Tazer JL unit... Original, Lite or Mini.. and have changed tire size setting on your manual transmission Wrangler JL, to above 33 inches......

Do read this:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/jlm6relearn.pdf

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AwCrimety

I just heard from Joe on this.... per Joe ... It does not matter which firmware version, you are running.. and he said..
"The manual relearn is required whenever changing the tire size over 33” on a manual."

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hijack your thread AwCrimety, but sort of related.
I'm wondering if any of the 6-speed folks had to do the relearn procedure when unmarring the Tazer mini.

I did the procedure, and still getting ess issues when I shift into 5th (usually), and service 4x4 system while in 4hi/lo when shifting (usually 3rd) one time it came on when slipping around in some snow.

I want to unmarry to see if its related to the Tazer, and maybe reprogram fresh. Perhaps I didn't hold acceleration for a full 30 seconds or something.

Thanks!

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sorry to hijack your thread AwCrimety, but sort of related.
I'm wondering if any of the 6-speed folks had to do the relearn procedure when unmarring the Tazer mini.

I did the procedure, and still getting ess issues when I shift into 5th (usually), and service 4x4 system while in 4hi/lo when shifting (usually 3rd) one time it came on when slipping around in some snow.

I want to unmarry to see if its related to the Tazer, and maybe reprogram fresh. Perhaps I didn't hold acceleration for a full 30 seconds or something.

Thanks!
Having the same issue here after my regear.

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Having the same issue here after my regear.
@OBJLU FWIW
I solved my ESS issue following the relearn procedure attached to this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-broken-after-regearing.11852/page-2#post-541310
Its very similar to the relearn procedure outlined by Tazer except for disconnecting the battery.

The trick for me was to get 12v power fully disconnected. I disconnected the 2 negativity cables from the negativity terminal and separate them. Once I verified no power on the dash or radio when I opened the door, reconnect battery then go out and do the relearn.

The service 4x4 system was gone for a while but came back Sunday on a wheeling trip :( Still fighting that one.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@OBJLU FWIW
I solved my ESS issue following the relearn procedure attached to this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-broken-after-regearing.11852/page-2#post-541310
Its very similar to the relearn procedure outlined by Tazer except for disconnecting the battery.

The trick for me was to get 12v power fully disconnected. I disconnected the 2 negativity cables from the negativity terminal and separate them. Once I verified no power on the dash or radio when I opened the door, reconnect battery then go out and do the relearn.

The service 4x4 system was gone for a while but came back Sunday on a wheeling trip :( Still fighting that one.

Thanks! I did that and it’s worked so far. Does the service 4x4 system message impact performance?

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I did that and it’s worked so far. Does the service 4x4 system message impact performance?
4x4 seems to work just fine even when the warning comes on
It may be linked to the fact my tie rod adjuster jam nut was lose and my toe in was slowly adjusting every trip. I noticed it on my shake down trip of 1/2 day wheeling I was 1-3/8" toe in afterward! I'm hoping it might be related to the steering wheel being off, but i'm hearing it might be related to a wheel speed sensor too.

OP
OP

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Well, I got around to unmarrying the tazer, due to an upcoming dealer visit later this week.

Unmarried, cycled the engine a few times. Removed the tazer.

But now I'm getting ESS service errors, that were not there when the tazer was married and installed.

I thought I recalled issues with ESS with the tazer installed....not after it's all removed?
Sponsored