Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks look ke fun. Need to look this place up and see where it is. Been wondering what else was out in NC besides Uwharrie.

Glad you made it out okay.
Windrock is actually in TN out side of Knoxville. It's two hours from Waynesville over on the Western border. $22 per person and $5.50 for a map, 72,000 acres and 300 miles of trails. A coal mine owns the property so you see these methane/natural gas wells dotted through out the trails. There are also three badge trails there.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I forgot to actually check in. Im at Ft. Bragg. 2018 JLU Sport S 6 spd. Just got it a few weeks ago. Traded my 16 JKU for it. Loving it so far. Went from an auto to a 6 spd so im curiuos to see how ill do off road with it.

Last time I went to Uwharrie i banged up the belly a ton. I was stock lift and tires though. I have 34s on my JL but otherwise stock, trying to decide if itll work out there without beating up the belly. Im looking to get a spacer lift but I wont get it by opening day.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I forgot to actually check in. Im at Ft. Bragg. 2018 JLU Sport S 6 spd. Just got it a few weeks ago. Traded my 16 JKU for it. Loving it so far. Went from an auto to a 6 spd so im curiuos to see how ill do off road with it.

Last time I went to Uwharrie i banged up the belly a ton. I was stock lift and tires though. I have 34s on my JL but otherwise stock, trying to decide if itll work out there without beating up the belly. Im looking to get a spacer lift but I wont get it by opening day.
Welcome!
I would highly recommend getting a lift. For now we have Rubi take offs which have 33s and we put on a RC 2.5" spacer lift for around $180. It gives you 2.5" in the front to take the rake out and 2" in the rear. I have a set off Rancho 5000s that will be going on it so that we at least have a full travel shock.
The sway bar links for the front SUCK in this kit so I would recommend getting JKS discos. Talk to John Arriola @OffRoadWarehouse and he will get you a good price.
With your 34s, a spacer lift and discos you will have a great time at Uwharie. Without that lift you can expect to beat up your belly on Dutch John and Dickie Bell and a little bit on some of the other areas. I wouldn't attempt Daniel with the way you are set up.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome!
I would highly recommend getting a lift. For now we have Rubi take offs which have 33s and we put on a RC 2.5" spacer lift for around $180. It gives you 2.5" in the front to take the rake out and 2" in the rear. I have a set off Rancho 5000s that will be going on it so that we at least have a full travel shock.
The sway bar links for the front SUCK in this kit so I would recommend getting JKS discos. Talk to John Arriola @OffRoadWarehouse and he will get you a good price.
With your 34s, a spacer lift and discos you will have a great time at Uwharie. Without that lift you can expect to beat up your belly on Dutch John and Dickie Bell and a little bit on some of the other areas. I wouldn't attempt Daniel with the way you are set up.

Very nice. Ill look into the RC kit then. I agree with you as well on the uwharrie trails. I was lifted and had the 34s and did well with my JK but need to work on getting mine lifted before I hit those trails. Thanks for the info and welcome!

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB / Black & Tan
Very nice. Ill look into the RC kit then. I agree with you as well on the uwharrie trails. I was lifted and had the 34s and did well with my JK but need to work on getting mine lifted before I hit those trails. Thanks for the info and welcome!
I'm in the Ft Bragg area too.

Checking in. First time Jeep owner here. Got a JLU MOAB this week. Extremely happy. Primarily will be used as a family vehicle but I would definitely like to try to take her out on easy/fun trails. Don't plan to MOD it except for adding 33s if they will fit without rubbing. I know I will be fine driving around town but when I do take her out on the trails, I definitely do not want to ruin my fenders.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Checking in. First time Jeep owner here. Got a JLU MOAB this week. Extremely happy. Primarily will be used as a family vehicle but I would definitely like to try to take her out on easy/fun trails. Don't plan to MOD it except for adding 33s if they will fit without rubbing. I know I will be fine driving around town but when I do take her out on the trails, I definitely do not want to ruin my fenders.
Welcome, man! You can fit those tires, no problem. There are plenty of easy trails that you can have fun on at Uwharrie. Uwharrie opens back up here very soon and I'm sure we'll be making runs down there often this year. I'll be taking my Jeep West the first week of June, but I can still meet down there all season with the KTM. Again, welcome, and looking forward to seeing you around.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Can't wait to see you out on the trails!

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
We hit Windrock on Sunday and here's how it went...

On the way to Windrock we joined the cracked windshield club. It was impressive to get a nice star crack considering the closest car was half a football field away.
Badged out on trail 51 and received our first set up pinstripes courtesy of over hanging brush branches right at the head of the trail.
"The one thing I fear is tipping this thing" within 30 seconds we were laying on our side in a ditch. @ACE Engineering thanks for making KILLER rails that bolt to the frame. Were it not for having these rails on the Jeep we would have rolled onto our side and sustained damage to the rocker and doors. With them on the Jeep rested on the rail with no problems at all. I'd estimate we were at least 45 degrees angled as I couldn't even hold the door open to get out. We both crawled out the passenger window. There was a major rut on trail 22 that we were not tall enough to clear. We went around it and I thought I was far enough driver side to clear it... I wasn't. By the time the Mrs. saw it was too late.
Side winched the front tire back to ground and pulled/drove us out within 10 minutes, smoked like a biotch for a bit since I sucked oil in PCV.
On the way home we pulled into Hardee's to use the bathroom. Saw "Step Child" in the parking lot, ran into the bathroom, took one look at that toilet and said "no way". Saw @Kevin8086 and LiteBrite sitting there with friends. Since he is like world famous I thought about asking for his autograph but thought better of it and continued my quest for a clean toilet :)
Enjoy the pics.

upload_2019-3-19_12-32-3.png

upload_2019-3-19_12-33-2.png

upload_2019-3-19_12-32-30.png

upload_2019-3-19_12-33-29.png

Top of Trail 51

upload_2019-3-19_12-34-14.png

upload_2019-3-19_12-32-1.png
Definitely should have said hi and there was no soap in that bathroom either. The food sucked baaaaad

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ah man. I wish you would have said hi. We love meeting fellow enthusiasts. That’s why we travel
Come on down here then! :like:

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely should have said hi and there was no soap in that bathroom either. The food sucked baaaaad
Worse than PB&J and Lunchables? :0

(full disclosure.. I eat a PBJ sandwich almost every day LOL)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Worse than PB&J and Lunchables? :0

(full disclosure.. I eat a PBJ sandwich almost every day LOL)
Rugged looking Jeep... eats PB&J everyday. There's a meme in there somewhere.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 10.56.52 AM.png

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the town near Windrock is kind of rough around the edges. We stopped at a tiny gas station on the way in to get gas and apparently detailing your cars in 2 of the 5 parking spots is normal and I'm pretty sure the bathroom doubled as a torture chamber after hours.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome!

After reading reviews and for what ill be doing with my jeep, I went ahead and ordered the RC 2.5 lift. Ill try to get it on and installed before opening day at Uwharrie. Hoping to make it up there then.

Thanks again for the recommendation and help.
Sponsored