Sponsored

Raised worksurface for Springtail tailgate table

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
So, instead of buying the stainless steel one from Doc I decided to do my own thing. It's not completely finished yet but it's functional. I wasn't thinking about posting it so I didn't take a lot of pics along the way.
  • I bought a 3/8" 12" x 24" sheet of black HDPE off Amazon ($18) and used some other random stuff I had in the garage.
  • The front is basically wedged under the table's lip with a pair of neodymium magnets.
  • I trimmed ~1/2" off the depth of the HDPE piece so it wouldn't interfere in back while folding up/down.
  • I notched out each side so the latches would clear when folded up. (narrowing the surface width by ~3/4" would work as well).
  • The rear is held in place with a couple of pieces of plywood that are screwed into the surface and then screwed through the Molle grid. There're are plastic spacers that sits in the Molle holes to keep it from moving. The big washers are covered with black vinyl on both sides.
I'll most likely be removing it at some point to paint the wood and maybe the screw heads. Haven't actually used it yet but it should be totally functional. I was going to try a side-table style one as well but haven't gotten to that yet.

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg
Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
So, instead of buying the stainless steel one from Doc I decided to do my own thing. It's not completely finished yet but it's functional. I wasn't thinking about posting it so I didn't take a lot of pics along the way.
  • I bought a 3/8" 12" x 24" sheet of black HDPE off Amazon ($18) and used some other random stuff I had in the garage.
  • The front is basically wedged under the table's lip with a pair of neodymium magnets.
  • I trimmed ~1/2" off the depth of the HDPE piece so it wouldn't interfere in back while folding up/down.
  • I notched out each side so the latches would clear when folded up. (narrowing the surface width by ~3/4" would work as well).
  • The rear is held in place with a couple of pieces of plywood that are screwed into the surface and then screwed through the Molle grid. There're are plastic spacers that sits in the Molle holes to keep it from moving. The big washers are covered with black vinyl on both sides.
I'll most likely be removing it at some point to paint the wood and maybe the screw heads. Haven't actually used it yet but it should be totally functional. I was going to try a side-table style one as well but haven't gotten to that yet.
Nice job...I love seeing stuff like this....

Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Doc