Sponsored

Tuffy tailgate lockbox anyone installed on yet?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok gonna revive this thread. Would anyone that has the tailgate lockbox be able to give me a measurement from the back of the rear seat (JLU) to the front of the box with the tailgate closed? I'm interested in getting one of these, but I'm unsure if my K-9 partners kennel will still fit.
Also any updates from anyone in regards to durability and squeaks over time with these?
Yes, I will get you that measurement. Also, no issues. No rattling looseness, or anything. It is solid as a rock. I've had it for awhile now, including a trip to Moab and back. I absolutely love it.
Sponsored

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Yes, I will get you that measurement. Also, no issues. No rattling looseness, or anything. It is solid as a rock. I've had it for awhile now, including a trip to Moab and back. I absolutely love it.
Awesome!! Thank you! Did you mount it over the plastic tailgate cover, or directly to the tailgate? It looks like you could go directly to the tailgate and save an inch or two.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome!! Thank you! Did you mount it over the plastic tailgate cover, or directly to the tailgate? It looks like you could go directly to the tailgate and save an inch or two.
I cut the spacers almost in half and mounted it pretty much right up against the plastic cover.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll get that measurement soon, btw.

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
Ok gonna revive this thread. Would anyone that has the tailgate lockbox be able to give me a measurement from the back of the rear seat (JLU) to the front of the box with the tailgate closed? I'm interested in getting one of these, but I'm unsure if my K-9 partners kennel will still fit.
Also any updates from anyone in regards to durability and squeaks over time with these?
When the the tailgate is closed the box goes up to the swivel point of the first metal floor loop.

Just measured, it’s about 28”.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When the the tailgate is closed the box goes up to the swivel point of the first metal floor loop.

Just measured, it’s about 28”.
Beat me to it! Thanks!

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
49245641_10205431912033435_7210608666683113472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

49107911_10205431911833430_4071156198018121728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

49155133_10205431911633425_3334640538786725888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

I mounted the box directly to the tailgate without the plastic cover and it fit just fine. I used weatherstripping along the back of it to avoid any squeaking.
That looks great! It seems like you would save some space mounting it that way also. Thanks for the pics!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Hey all - just another voice here for how great this box is.

Install is pretty easy, but I messed up one of the drill spots. Was a bit to the right and the spacer wouldn't stay straight with the screw angling to catch the thread, so I had to unmount it and drill a bigger hole in the plastic overlay thing. Oh well lol

Aside from that, it's pretty easy. You could probably even mount it straight to the tailgate without the plastic pieces if you don't mind rubbing the crud out of your paint at the mounting points. I've even seen some people file down the spacers to get the fit closer to the tailgate.

People were discussing weight earlier in the thread, but the box definitely sits on the load floor when the tailgate is closed, so 99% of the time I don't think it's stressing your tailgate.

My needs are for secure and out of sight storage for most of the year when I have my soft top, and I usually ride with the soft top down. I just needed something to keep a few valuable things of out sight, along with quick storage of purchased items if my family is out somewhere, and I didn't want to commit to boxes and metal covers that fully wall off my cargo area. 300 bucks is probably a bit high for this; if you can wait for a sale and get it around 200 it would be a nice steal.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
How well sealed is it from the elements?
If I put a laptop or something in there would it get wet in a heavy rain with the top down?

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
How well sealed is it from the elements?
If I put a laptop or something in there would it get wet in a heavy rain with the top down?
I haven’t noticed any moisture inside, it’s probably safe for anything short of submersion (eg if your trunk turns into a swimming pool.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Personally, I wouldn't. I haven't noticed any moisture, either, but if that sucker gets put up against any amount of rain, even just a sprinkling, I'm betting on the rain.

It's a great secure storage box, don't get me wrong, but when you see it in person it's pretty clear it's not water tight.

OP
OP
DickZip

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I've been thru, snow, monsoons, car washing, pressure washing, massive mud and have never had any dirt, dust or moisture issues.
I mounted mine right on the tailgate with no issues. I met tuffy at sema and explained how i installed my box and he looked at me like i was crazy. Its a much better install. 300.00 is way to much for this box, but its my favorite addition it my interior.
How can a locking box that can't be seen that rests on the floor that keeps my under floor storage lid from opening while out bashing my jeep on rocks be bad?

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
I mounted mine right on the tailgate with no issues.
I'm thinking about re-mounting mine directly on the tailgate (with some weatherstripping tape for paint protection) to try and gain a bit more trunk space. Right now, when the trunk is closed, the box goes to the pivot point of the first set of tie down loops. Out of curiosity, with the box directly mounted to the tailgate, how many cm/inches do you gain in trunk space?
Sponsored