Sponsored

Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The manual (p347) says, “If the system detects a (gas cap) malfunction, the “gASCAP” message will display in the odometer display.”

It also says, “Push the odometer reset button to turn the message off.”

And, “If the fuel filler cap is not tightened properly, the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) will come on. Be sure the cap is tightened every time the vehicle is refueled.”

Italics are mine. Non of that happens on my Sport and I don’t have anything resembling an “odometer reset button.”

Has anyone seen these on their 2018/2019 JL? Mine is a Sport 2-door, 3.6l.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

You READ the manual?

I applaud you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
@DanFelix

I posted about this back in June. I have never seen anyone here say they have ever seen that evic message..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/check-engine-light-on-since-second-day-of-ownership.6654/page-2#post-

I believe the manual is full of shit regarding this.. 8-)
Appreciate your reply. I never see any indication that the gas cap is off or malfunctioning, even when it is off. LOL. Much like my '76 CJ7. Not a deal breaker. Thanks. Just curious if anyone has ever seen the gASCAP message. The manual has multiple "boilerplate" paragraphs from, what must be, other FCA models. I see them in the text all the time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanFelix

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
@DanFelix
@Kenny

Forum member @wibornz , just confirmed to me via pm, that he has in fact seen the evic odometer display message in regard to the gas cap that the manual refers to and mentioned by me in this post:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...cond-day-of-ownership.6654/page-2#post-231657
Interesting. It appears to be an evasive message. If I leave the cap off and even drive 2+ miles, I do not see any message of any kind. Not even in the messages screen. I can only suspect that, even with the cap off (there is no switch or such on the cap or spout), that my vehicle does not sense an evaporative fault or my system is malfunctioning. Keep us posted if there are more sightings, then I'll know if my vehicle has an issue. I expected more members to chime in with their experience. Hopefully, they will. Can't imagine a car maker going to the lengths of ESS and not including a gas cap warning. Thanks.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the gas cap warning "light" come on several times last year. Along with the MIL, it was showing several codes for the evap system. Everytime I cleared the codes, they came back in 40-80 miles. I had it at the dealer four times (they replaced just about everything involved in the evap system (gas cap, Evap canister, etc.). It turned out to be some wires involved in the evap sensor system having rodent (mouse) damage.

The manual should say "push "ok" on the steering wheel to clear the GasCap message".

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
I've gone 186 miles between my home in Phoenix and Yuma, never saw the message or mil.

MItwenty18JL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara, Grand Cherokee Overland, MINI Convertible S
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend I forgot to replace the gas cap after fueling. It was just prior to taking it to the sand dunes. I drove around the sand dunes for at least 2 hours before realizing the gas cap was missing but I never received any warnings. I wound up putting a TJ gas cap on to finish the day since I could not find my gas cap. The seal was not tight and I could smell gas after taking it out on the highway to get home. I wish I had received some warnings because I may have been able to recover before I took it in the dunes. Now I am worried I might have sand in my fuel system. I left messages with the dealership to figure out why I didn't get the warnings and to see if I need to have the fuel system inspected.
Sponsored