swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who wanted a 4runner instead of a JLUR before he test drove and bought a JLUR I think you'd be making a huge mistake buying a 4r right now when it's long in tooth (old) with terrible technology (no android auto, carplay, entune sucks) and 5-spd transmission. But that's just my subjective opinion.

I test drove both (and tacomas and colorados) and the 4runner felt like I was stepping back into the early 2000s. Even the colorado felt more modern but its diesel was honestly scary to drive it has such little kick.

Now when it's updated, if that ever actually happens, it will be another story. I don't understand why they redid the Tacoma interior and not the Tundra and 4runner. Toyotas "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality lost my sale, but I'm sure it gained them 5 other sales from people who don't care about technology. Buy a Jeep or wait for the Bronco/4runner refresh. When those come out, especially the new 4runner (if ever) I'll be checking them out immediately to see how they compare.

FWIW; I have zero loyalty to Jeep, tons to Toyota, and shudder to think about having to ever visit a Chrysler dealer when I do have problems (of which have only been minor thus far but I've owned it for a year and am barely at 4k miles, mostly Uconnect issues so far).
Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I always thought TRD was just short for turd.‍

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm not even considering the 4Runner because I heard its a LOT harder to remove the top and doors ;)

OP
OP

jeep4runner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
As someone who wanted a 4runner instead of a JLUR before he test drove and bought a JLUR I think you'd be making a huge mistake buying a 4r right now when it's long in tooth (old) with terrible technology (no android auto, carplay, entune sucks) and 5-spd transmission. But that's just my subjective opinion.

I test drove both (and tacomas and colorados) and the 4runner felt like I was stepping back into the early 2000s. Even the colorado felt more modern but its diesel was honestly scary to drive it has such little kick.

Now when it's updated, if that ever actually happens, it will be another story. I don't understand why they redid the Tacoma interior and not the Tundra and 4runner. Toyotas "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality lost my sale, but I'm sure it gained them 5 other sales from people who don't care about technology. Buy a Jeep or wait for the Bronco/4runner refresh. When those come out, especially the new 4runner (if ever) I'll be checking them out immediately to see how they compare.

FWIW; I have zero loyalty to Jeep, tons to Toyota, and shudder to think about having to ever visit a Chrysler dealer when I do have problems (of which have only been minor thus far but I've owned it for a year and am barely at 4k miles, mostly Uconnect issues so far).
That's why I'd buy a used one from 2014—when it was only a few years in :)

I'd never buy a brand new one. Anyone who does that is a moron. They haven't changed at all since 2014, and only had minor changes since 2010.

What it will probably come down to is this: I can buy a used 4Runner for $26k. To get it really rock-crawl ready, I'd most likely have to invest $10k (at least). Still don't know what Marlin Crawler's IFS suspension will cost when it comes out in the summer. At that point, we're creeping closer to a new Rubi (and certainly a used one). The monthly finance for the 4Runner would be around $300 (give or take). Or I could lease a new Rubi for $425 (ish)—and it's ready to rock crawl right away. Plus, after 2 years, I could buy it, trade it in, or dump it. And with a lease, if there's a problem with the Jeep, I'm in a better position to tel the dealership to swap me for a new one than if I owned it.

And agreed: post-sales for Toyota are great. Jeep, not so much. But it also depends on the dealership (like everywhere else). The great thing with a Jeep is that I can fix things myself much easier if they do go wrong. So I can be less reliant (not totally, but less) on the dealership—and rely more on the community and my own hands. 4Runner also has a great community and a strong aftermarket. Just not quite as good as Jeep. But with Toyota, I may not need it as much :)