So How's The Real World Highway MPG?

dorenhagen

First Name
Doren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 2019 JLR Auto. I average about 19.7 mpg everything is still stock. I'm planning on adding a 2.5 lift and dirty life DT-1 wheels and keeping stock bfg tires. Will also be putting on a rockslide Auto sidestep. I'm curious to what my mpg will change it to.
Judging by previous posts, you can expect a 3 mile/gallon hit.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Only 2 days in with a 2.5" lift and 37 Toyos and I'm holding at 17.0 mpg with mostly city driving in Jacksonville, which means some stop and start but also plenty of stretches of a couple miles at 45-65mph. No surprise anything 2000 rpms or under is the sweet spot and I get low to mid 20s, over 2000 rpms and it's under 15 mpgs to single digits.

If I maintain 17 mpg running a lift and 37s I can't complain!

Last edited:

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Bumping this back up.....

Fuelly now has some real world numbers to compare the 2.0 and 3.6 engines:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler_jl

There is a filter that allows you to separate the results for each engine and it appears the 3.6 is averaging about .9 mpg better than the 2.0. I did not expect that, but it is hard to argue with thousands of miles of real world averages.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
it is hard to argue with thousands of miles of real world averages.
No it's not. Fuelly is 100% user submitted data, and doesn't take into account the driving characteristics of different drivers. Additionally there is false or incorrect data being used in the averages. Fuelly shows one JL getting 71 MPG, and another at 59 MPG. I have a hard time believing that these are realistic numbers.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
No it's not. Fuelly is 100% user submitted data, and doesn't take into account the driving characteristics of different drivers. Additionally there is false or incorrect data being used in the averages. Fuelly shows one JL getting 71 MPG, and another at 59 MPG. I have a hard time believing that these are realistic numbers.
Fuelly is real world mileage. It does take into account each individual drivers habits.

Whether you want to acknowledge factual data is up to you.

And BTW it also shows several getting 4 to 5 mpg.....seems to me the highs and lows average out. Wait.....maybe that's why it's called an average. I believe that term was covered in grade school math....might want to check that out.

Had to edit this post as I see the doubter has a 2L. Didn't take long for the turbo brigade to get all butt hurt did it?

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've been getting 18-25 on the highway, I think the wind makes a HUGE difference! I only have 1K miles though and just did my first oil change, so my experience is limited.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Fuelly is real world mileage. It does take into account each individual drivers habits.

Whether you want to acknowledge factual data is up to you.
I disagree, and do not think that Fuelly offers a real world sample.

And BTW it also shows several getting 4 to 5 mpg.....seems to me the highs and lows average out.
I can't seem to find anything lower than 8 MPG, and believe that 8 MPG is obtainable. Even 4-5 MPG is obtainable. 71 or 59 MPG is not obtainable. Averaging real data with fake/inaccurate data does not produce a reliable conclusion.

Wait.....maybe that's why it's called an average. I believe that term was covered in grade school math....might want to check that out.
Condescending much?

Had to edit this post as I see the doubter has a 2L. Didn't take long for the turbo brigade to get all butt hurt did it?
I didn't realize I was butt hurt, and I am certainly not trying to make this a 2.0 vs 3.6 post; you did that all on your own. I was simply pointing out Fuelly's inaccurate data, which you presented as "hard to argue with".

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Fuelly data is real world....you cannot refute that.

If I wanted to make this a pissin' contest between the 4 cylinder and the V6, I would have posted it in the 2L fanboy section. You called BS with no data to back your claim....you are wrong.

I merely thought it was an interesting comparison after 177,000 miles of owner data.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am lifted with 37s. I am averaging 16 mpg for normal driving. I can pull 19 on the hyw. I have the 3.6.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Fuelly data is real world....you cannot refute that.
I just signed up for an account and entered my most recent mileage: 197 MPG*. The data is now not real world. Refuted.

*I didn't actually do this as I have too much respect for what Fuelly is trying to accomplish. But if I can do it, anyone can do it, and it looks like some people already have. Again, 71 & 59 MPG are not reasonable. There is bad data mixed in. Does averaging all the bad data together come up with an accurate conclusion? Nobody knows, or will ever know.

You called BS with no data to back your claim....you are wrong.
I don't need to have a data source of my own to point out the flaw in the data that Fuelly has collected.

I merely thought it was an interesting comparison after 177,000 miles of owner data.
I agree, it is an interesting comparison.
Sponsored