Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

ltivarovsky

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
First oil change myself at 5,000 miles. Pennzoil 0W-20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Original motor oil was kinda dark, but not dirty. Inspected original oil filter - no debris or metal shaving detected. Oil plug was under tight (I would even say hand tight by the factory).
BTW, I guess we miss something important here: the number of hours the motor has been working since last oil change. In my case it was 63 hours.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change myself at 5,000 miles. Pennzoil 0W-20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Original motor oil was kinda dark, but not dirty. Inspected original oil filter - no debris or metal shaving detected. Oil plug was under tight (I would even say hand tight by the factory).
BTW, I guess we miss something important here: the number of hours the motor has been working since last oil change. In my case it was 63 hours.
Thank, Leonid. My oil was dark but fine... I like your engine hour count... so rotation of tires, 4 or 5 and when... What about the other fluids like trans and diff etc.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I did my first oil change at 4k miles. Pennzoil 0w20 and mopar oil filter. I don't let dealer change my oil, I took the jkur I had for tire rotation and they put the little sticker with the next oil change, without changing oil. So I decided to do it myself and the JL it's a piece of cake. And reset the oil life on the steering wheel to 100% and it is satisfying doing it myself.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Oil filter @2,500
Oil filter and Oil @5,000

Debating whether to keep the Oil filter cadence at every 2,500 probably will, filters are cheap enough and easy enough to replace.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Every 250 miles, been doing it for 50 years and no problems. I use 30w oil year round. Used it for 50 years and no problems. Reuse oil filter after I backwash it. Never rotate tire or align, that's a dealer gimmick like cloth protectant and etched windows. I am a recycler so I check my catch can every week and pour the 1/2 quart of oil back into the engine.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Hmmmm...Interesting. I thought the filter was done after one use. How do you clean an oil filter? I assume with dawn and plenty of hot water. I don't take any chances so I replace it every oil change. I use Mopar or KN sometimes. At Walmart they are about 10 smackaroos. But it is good to know that possibilities are there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Every 250 miles, been doing it for 50 years and no problems. I use 30w oil year round. Used it for 50 years and no problems. Reuse oil filter after I backwash it. Never rotate tire or align, that's a dealer gimmick like cloth protectant and etched windows. I am a recycler so I check my catch can every week and pour the 1/2 quart of oil back into the engine.
@nerubi

Ya know ....... you got guys/gals, on this forum that don't realize that you are being facetious..

Yup, they read what they see ... take it hook line and sinker and believe it.

A real shame when they act on what they read ... what you posted. I know you were kidding but..

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@nerubi

Ya know ....... you got guys/gals, on this forum that don't realize that you are being facetious..

Yup, they read what they see ... take it hook line and sinker and believe it.

A real shame when they act on what they read ... what you posted. I know you were kidding but..

Kind of my point...don't believe a lot of what you read on this forum or any forum because it is mostly opinion without fact. My tire is best, no mine is best. They reported that the JL tires wear out after 40,000 miles, that's outrageous of FCA to put such junk on my vehicle so I'm never going to buy another Jeep. And on and on. If all owners would read the manual many of their questions would go away. Ask the service department managers how many things are brought in are covered in the manual that most customers don't read.
If someone is stupid enough to act on what I said then they deserve what happens and shouldn't be driving a new $50,000 vehicle.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My tire is best, no mine is best. They reported that the JL tires wear out after 40,000 miles, that's outrageous of FCA to put such junk on my vehicle so I'm never going to buy another Jeep.
Heck, 40k tread life sounds good to me. The tires on my ZL1 were toast with less than 10k on them.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Heck, 40k tread life sounds good to me. The tires on my ZL1 were toast with less than 10k on them.
Rear tires on my first car in 1969 were bald in 3,000 miles. They were polyester and I had a 6.4L engine in a 3,159 pound plus I was 18 so that's why.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Absolutely. Too many opinions are like the rectum. Everybody has one. They all stink. All Jeeps JL3.6 might be similar, but all driving conditions are not created equal. But I enjoy being made fun of once in a while. You have to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes. Good thing is not April 1st...

Ghuzz

5000km
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic/Mopar filter
Did it myself, not dealer, nothing free
I do all my own service/repairs on all my vehicles because I am awesome :like:
Dealer is only for warranty work or recalls :jk:
i do all my own too, im just not awesome, but my jeep is!

Ghuzz

I have driven high-performance cars, like Mustangs and Porsches, for many years on street and track. My go-to oil is Mobil1 0W-40 with a premium quality filter. That is a $40 oil change done in your own garage or driveway using an oil that has the very highest ratings from the best automakers.

Full synthetic oil does not break down and can easily go for 7500 to 10,000 miles between changes. Much more often (or too often) seems a waste of time and money and environmentally imprudent.

And my full disclosure - I sell crude oil for a living. So my advice is contrary to my self-interests. Mobil1 is a great product.
why 0w40? cap says 0W20, the VVT engine uses lighter wieght oil?