LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys,
For guys without the factory tow package, where are we getting the brake switch signal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LoganDzwon

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I think I found it. On the passenger side footwell, behind the plastic, near where the door’s connector is, lives the BCM. On a tow-package factory equipped JL the provided harness taps the signal from the The Dark green with a white stripe wire going to pin 18 of the BCM.

I used this post as a reference; https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19185/
Did you hook up the brake controller to this and confirmed it worked?

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Did you hook up the brake controller to this and confirmed it worked?
Messaged Logan and he has not installed his brake controller. I searched for this wire and was unable to locate it or I really do not know enough about what I am looking for to tap into this particular wire. There are easily 100+ wires coming into this area and it is difficult to see everything at the angle it is in.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Messaged Logan and he has not installed his brake controller. I searched for this wire and was unable to locate it or I really do not know enough about what I am looking for to tap into this particular wire. There are easily 100+ wires coming into this area and it is difficult to see everything at the angle it is in.
This device eliminates wiring a brake controller; it uses a smartphone app. It is wonderful!
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=smartphone brake controller

Sponsored

MrMora

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Carpenter

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Just wondering if you had any issues using this it seems like the reviews are 50/50 I’m about do my trailer wiring and don’t care to mount a controller for the brakes when I’m not going to be towing as much
I've had zero issues. I think the bad reviews are because people don't know how to use the app. One reviewer said I won't work on a JL and I understand some of what he said because it does seem to fit "loose" but if that's a concern you can zip tie it, but I haven't had any issues and it's sure beats wiring and having to find another mounting place for something.

MrMora

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Carpenter
Thanks I just ordered it off Amazon I figured if it didn’t work out I could just send it back thanks for sharing

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Thanks I just ordered it off Amazon I figured if it didn’t work out I could just send it back thanks for sharing
I started to mention that. I think you'll like it. I almost choked on the reviews myself and took the chance and glad I did. A lot of the reviews seemed to be bluetooth problems and usually that's a problem with the user and not the device. I paid almost the cost of it to wire my JK and had to wire the controller with plugs so I could take it out when I wasn't using it...which was most of the time. Also I took my old controller back to the guy that wired it so he could give it to someone who could use it. I showed him this thing and he was in awe. He was a dealer and said he wasn't aware of the product and ordered some.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Some mention that it fits "loose" It does tend to feel loose, but the tab would not let it come out I'm sure-that being said...I cut a small strip of bicycle inner tube about 1/2" wide and 2" long and glued it to the opposite side of the tab-it would be at the 3 o'clock position installed. There's a small channel on the device there so the rubber fits well. This will make it fit snug. One more suggestion...if you store it in the bottom of the center console it will "disappear" because it's black and the center console is dark and black. You'll look for the device for 3 days in every place it could possibly be - then you will give up and order another one because you need it for a trip....and then on the 4th time looking into the console with a flashlight-immediately after the new one arrives-you'll finally see it....there's a reason I know this (-:

Sponsored

MrMora

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Carpenter
Some mention that it fits "loose" It does tend to feel loose, but the tab would not let it come out I'm sure-that being said...I cut a small strip of bicycle inner tube about 1/2" wide and 2" long and glued it to the opposite side of the tab-it would be at the 3 o'clock position installed. There's a small channel on the device there so the rubber fits well. This will make it fit snug. One more suggestion...if you store it in the bottom of the center console it will "disappear" because it's black and the center console is dark and black. You'll look for the device for 3 days in every place it could possibly be - then you will give up and order another one because you need it for a trip....and then on the 4th time looking into the console with a flashlight-immediately after the new one arrives-you'll finally see it....there's a reason I know this (-:
Everything worked out great thanks for the info

1A28A8EC-63BF-466B-858F-86662E8B5E74.jpeg

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So Logan was onto something, it is the Dark Green with White Strip wire but I found it next to impossible to get a wire tap where needed on the BCM. It is on connector C which is high up on the BCM in the right kick panel.

Instead, I traced it in the wiring diagram to the ABS Module which is out under the hood on the left side of the Jeep. I peeled back some of the wire tape and bingo, the wire is easily accessed. I wire tapped the wire and then taped the bundle back up.

After that you just pass the wire through a plastic plug in the firewall under the brake master cylinder and wa-la, wire right where you need it for the trailer brake controller.
8F21E414-C317-4234-AC47-2B072AE4D687.jpeg
063F7E8E-F024-46E2-A2C8-FBD59D96BCF4.jpeg

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=smartphone brake controller

No wiring necessary. No wired controller. Works Bluetooth with your smartphone. I’m I’m Moab now pulling an off-road camper from Georgia and no issues. I have the factory tow package. This thing plugs into the stock round connection under the bumper and you plug your trailer into it. That’s it. Completely adjustable and remembers your setting.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon in process
So Logan was onto something, it is the Dark Green with White Strip wire but I found it next to impossible to get a wire tap where needed on the BCM. It is on connector C which is high up on the BCM in the right kick panel.

Instead, I traced it in the wiring diagram to the ABS Module which is out under the hood on the left side of the Jeep. I peeled back some of the wire tape and bingo, the wire is easily accessed. I wire tapped the wire and then taped the bundle back up.

After that you just pass the wire through a plastic plug in the firewall under the brake master cylinder and wa-la, wire right where you need it for the trailer brake controller.
8F21E414-C317-4234-AC47-2B072AE4D687.jpeg
063F7E8E-F024-46E2-A2C8-FBD59D96BCF4.jpeg
Have you confirmed this works with a brake controller both pressing the brake pedal and using the boost lever on the controller?

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
77A2E59D-70B7-41A9-A732-C5885717E49E.jpeg
Have you confirmed this works with a brake controller both pressing the brake pedal and using the boost lever on the controller?
Yes, it does work, but you’ll also have to buy one of these..... If you use this wire without the diode, anytime you manually engage the controller you’ll get errors on the dashboard.
Sponsored