Launching a Boat/JetSki w/ Manual Transmission

ProjectReaper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm about to purchase a jetski and have a manual trans JL is there anything different about launching the PDW since my jeep has a manual trans? Any extra precautions? Or is it as simple as with anyother vehicle IE choc block E brake launch boat and reverse process? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I've never liked the idea of shutting my engine off when on the launch ramp. Why? I don't know...the fear that it won't start again?

Nonetheless, I'd probably shut off the engine and put it in gear. Parking brakes are designed to hold the vehicle from moving when on level ground. Seems like you wouldn't need it, huh? So how many clicks is sufficient to hold the vehicle on a launch ramp? I wouldn't want to find out what's not sufficient the hard way. Especially when you're yanking the boat/PWC off the trailer and it decides to roll just a bit...and a bit more.

I'd much prefer leaving the transmission in gear. Chocking the wheels? Only if you have an assistant, because you're not going to get out and put the chocks behind the wheel yourself....while watching the vehicle roll backwards. Too many things to forget. The assistant could help in other ways. Forget the chocks. Your trailer will probably run over them anyway, as you're pulling out.

If you haven't spent much time around a launch ramp, go some day and watch. On a busy day, bring your camera - funniest day you'll have. I can't tell you all the stories, but I've seen tens of thousands of dollars in damage, divorces beginning, and vehicles sunk. Patience can wear thin and tempers can flare.

When you're there, watch for someone who's doing a process that you think works for you, then take notes. Mentally go through every step and see if there's something you'll forget or might forget. When you first go, try and go when it's not crowded, so you don't feel rushed, and you can take your time.

In a previous life of an editor of a PWC magazine, I've written a number of articles on this subject, so I've very familiar with the challenges, the follies, and the fun.

Sorry, that was more than you asked for.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'm about to purchase a jetski and have a manual trans JL is there anything different about launching the PDW since my jeep has a manual trans? Any extra precautions? Or is it as simple as with anyother vehicle IE choc block E brake launch boat and reverse process? Thanks in advance.
As far as going back up... If the ramp is straight, put it in 4-low while you're pulling forward and straight. Once on the flat and BEFORE turning, shift back to 2-Hi. It'll save you lots of aggravation!

JP18

OP
OP

ProjectReaper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
not at all that was really helpful i appreciate all the tips and will definitely be observing much before i attempt myself
Sponsored