Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Chris, I was getting ready to purchase these but wanted to ask you if you think there is an added benefit (I see the increase in lumens) to getting the 3w stainless and if that is worth the doubled cost. Or is that too subjective?
I think the 1w LEDs are plenty bright for their location/purpose. I also have the 1w amber in my fender chop kit used as blinkers and side markers.

The 3w stainless are IP68 rated which is nice, but probably overkill unless you plan on crossing/sitting in a lot of high water.
Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
I have the Roam side steps and was looking at possibly using amber lights and running them as Nightime Marker lights. That would turn on when the head-lights turn-on. Any thoughts on what wattage LEDs and where to connect them to turn on when the lights turn on?

rksmith25

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I came up and trough the firewall. one of my leds quit on me ill have to change that one out but the rest are still working.
Where did you come through the firewall on the drivers side? I see where to go through the passenger side but having troubles seeing exactly where on the drivers side.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I think the 1w LEDs are plenty bright for their location/purpose. I also have the 1w amber in my fender chop kit used as blinkers and side markers.

The 3w stainless are IP68 rated which is nice, but probably overkill unless you plan on crossing/sitting in a lot of high water.
Wanted to give a shout out to you Chris. Just rcvd the Ozniums in the mail and they are really nice and sturdy. Look a lot better than the Amazon ones I bought a month or so ago. The 1w is definitely bright (I went around the house blinding everyone showing them off). I got the green for my Mojito! but if it's like the others, than any color will look really good. Thanks again for the recommendation.

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Somewhere I saw a mention of how to find power for these under the hood. Maybe at the fuse box? Factory instructions from Roam? Anyone have a link to that? Or know how it was done? Thanks.

Sponsored

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I paid the extra $$ for the aux switches, and I think this might be a good use for one of them. Any thought on how you would integrate with them?

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I paid the extra $$ for the aux switches, and I think this might be a good use for one of them. Any thought on how you would integrate with them?
If you are not concerned if they turn on with opening the doors or unlocking the Jeep? If not, it's really simple to wire them up. Positive to your aux switch and ground to one of the ground posts next to the battery :like:

Last edited:

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Thanks, that will be really useful at some point and might help me now actually. I wasn’t really clear in my question though. Somewhere I saw where ROAM made a suggestion as to how to tap into power under the hood. Tapping into a particular fuse I thought. My thought is if you can find the circuit powering the dome lights under the hood and tap in there, you wouldn’t have to poke through that grommet. I’ve already done that once for the CB. Wasn’t much fun.

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, that will be really useful at some point and might help me now actually. I wasn’t really clear in my question though. Somewhere I saw where ROAM made a suggestion as to how to tap into power under the hood. Tapping into a particular fuse I thought. My thought is if you can find the circuit powering the dome lights under the hood and tap in there, you wouldn’t have to poke through that grommet. I’ve already done that once for the CB. Wasn’t much fun.
Right. I am sitting through the diagrams now to figure that one out. They have an internal diagram which spells out at least to some degree that piece. I’m planing to use it to power a relay that engages a fused battery feed directly to the LEDs. Still working out some of the details, but hoping to integrate one of the six switches so I can manually flip them on and off as well. I imagine it’s like anything else, a 1000 ways to do it, but at the end of the day, you build it your way. Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the fuses on the top of the TIPM(Fuse box) are always hot. A couple only become hot with the ignition on, but I don't recall any of them switching on/off with accesories/doors etc. If you pull the TIPM up you may be able to find the wire that corresponds to the dome light circuit and tap into that, but at the time there were no wiring schematics and taping into the footwell lights was really easy to do.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not concerned if they turn on with opening the doors or unlocking the Jeep? If not, it's really simple to wire them up. Positive to your aux switch and ground to one of the ground posts next to the battery :like:
Dude, you were not kidding. Wiring took the better part of 4 hours. That 18gauge maybe even thinner junk the LEDs come with is awful. Day 2, install the hardware and finish up (have about 6 hours into it today, but a lot of that was me being particular). Ugh

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
Maybe a silly question but i need to ask. If we are just wiring 4 total lights (2 door). can we splice into both floor lights inside.. 2 wire to 2 wires? They are led as well so they should already be on a solid state relay of some sorts as they don't flicker. That could make it a very easy install. Or am I missing something.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a silly question but i need to ask. If we are just wiring 4 total lights (2 door). can we splice into both floor lights inside.. 2 wire to 2 wires? They are led as well so they should already be on a solid state relay of some sorts as they don't flicker. That could make it a very easy install. Or am I missing something.
You could do that, it probably wouldnt hurt anything(others have done it)but I prefer to isolate the circuit from the already small wires going to those footwell LED lights. :beer:
Sponsored