Sponsored

Ouray, Moab, Zion road trip for stock Jeep.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
You’re braver than we are. We are trailering. Hate to have a breakdown and be stranded until repaired at the mercy of a local shop and now we have plenty of room for everything else we need! We’re doing the rubicon and Moab. Bringing a welder/generator, gas air compressor, drive shafts, parts galore just in case for us or others.

Brett
Yeah, I do my trips differently than some. I drive the Jeep out and then put it in storage. Fly home for a month, then return to take the Jeep on the next adventure. I did from June to October last year and this year will be June to November. It's really cheap when you fly Frontier Airlines and use storage unit places that have a free month, no contract agreements. I just pay the application fee and then make sure I move out before the end of the month. Storage unit in Vegas last year cost me $26 for a month. Haha. I did that in Colorado and Arizona, as well.

All those breakage risks apply to the tow rig and the trailer, too. When are you doing the Rubicon? I'll be out there in August this year.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Yeah, I do my trips differently than some. I drive the Jeep out and then put it in storage. Fly home for a month, then return to take the Jeep on the next adventure. I did from June to October last year and this year will be June to November. It's really cheap when you fly Frontier Airlines and use storage unit places that have a free month, no contract agreements. I just pay the application fee and then make sure I move out before the end of the month. Storage unit in Vegas last year cost me $26 for a month. Haha. I did that in Colorado and Arizona, as well.

All those breakage risks apply to the tow rig and the trailer, too. When are you doing the Rubicon? I'll be out there in August this year.
Absolutely have risks with the tow rig and trailer. The contingency is then continue on in the Jeep worst case!

We’re looking at adding the rubicon on our April Moab trip. We will be around 10 hrs away, might as well knock it out while so close vs making another 30 hr one way drive.

That’s genius about storage units! I haven’t flown frontier but did a red eye to Vegas last minute on spirit and never again!

Brett

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Absolutely have risks with the tow rig and trailer. The contingency is then continue on in the Jeep worst case!

We’re looking at adding the rubicon on our April Moab trip. We will be around 10 hrs away, might as well knock it out while so close vs making another 30 hr one way drive.

That’s genius about storage units! I haven’t flown frontier but did a red eye to Vegas last minute on spirit and never again!

Brett
Yeah... they're crappy airlines, but super cheap. It makes cross country trips very affordable.

I'm not heading out to Colorado until the middle/end of June. Last year a few of the passes were still closed, so I've got more trails to conquer there. I'm always on the hunt for badge trails. Blackbear didn't open until July last year, so I'm hoping it opens around the same time this year.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Yeah... they're crappy airlines, but super cheap. It makes cross country trips very affordable.

I'm not heading out to Colorado until the middle/end of June. Last year a few of the passes were still closed, so I've got more trails to conquer there. I'm always on the hunt for badge trails. Blackbear didn't open until July last year, so I'm hoping it opens around the same time this year.
The Ouray area has been getting pounded with snow. Silverton ski area has a 135” base. I ski and have lived in CO my whole life. Pretty sure I have never seen that before. I would make some calls before making final plans.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The Ouray area has been getting pounded with snow. Silverton ski area has a 135” base. I ski and have lived in CO my whole life. Pretty sure I have never seen that before. I would make some calls before making final plans.
The Jeep will be out there regardless. I’m not too worried about the snow. If the passes are closed, then I’ll just come back after Moab. The Jeep will likely be stored in Grand Junction. As long as Colorado isn’t on fire, then things will work out fine. I’ve got a pic from last year showing some of the snow during the 3-4th weeks of June. Blackbear and Poughkeepsie were still closed at that time.

9C053BB4-A604-4C57-ACA9-DE9BBE1D78EB.jpeg
496768FC-B6C4-4021-ADF8-FB4662D4B123.jpeg

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The Jeep will be out there regardless. I’m not too worried about the snow. If the passes are closed, then I’ll just come back after Moab. The Jeep will likely be stored in Grand Junction. As long as Colorado isn’t on fire, then things will work out fine. I’ve got a pic from last year showing some of the snow during the 3-4th weeks of June. Blackbear and Poughkeepsie were still closed at that time.

9C053BB4-A604-4C57-ACA9-DE9BBE1D78EB.jpeg
496768FC-B6C4-4021-ADF8-FB4662D4B123.jpeg
Where were those pictures taken? I am doing Alpine loop in June. I am told them work to get that open.

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
I’m glad I’ve been following this thread. Looks like I’ll be in Baja in June and Silverton in late July. 135” That’s a lot of snow!

Shawn, that whole store the Jeep and fly home is pure genius! Only problem for me is the dog.
Sponsored