Sponsored

Fog Lights Flicker

nickg313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hi. I am Nick from Michigan. I bought my first Wrangler last year. 2018 JLU Sahara, absolutely loving it. The Jeep I bought has the 3 piece steel Rubicon bumper with Factory LED fog lights, but i do not have the LED lighting package.

The fog lights flicker - not all the time, but most of the time and appears to be related to the overall power usage - accelerating and even turning the steering wheel seems to impact the flickering. I really like the look of this bumper but considering switching it out if i cannot solve the fog light issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be happening or how to troubleshoot? Local Dealer was ZERO help.

Please Help.
Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I seem to recall seeing people with similar issues making sure their fuses were all seated well and that helped. Worth a try anyway.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Hi. I am Nick from Michigan. I bought my first Wrangler last year. 2018 JLU Sahara, absolutely loving it. The Jeep I bought has the 3 piece steel Rubicon bumper with Factory LED fog lights, but i do not have the LED lighting package.

The fog lights flicker - not all the time, but most of the time and appears to be related to the overall power usage - accelerating and even turning the steering wheel seems to impact the flickering. I really like the look of this bumper but considering switching it out if i cannot solve the fog light issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be happening or how to troubleshoot? Local Dealer was ZERO help.

Please Help.
You are experiencing the flicker because the Jeep is not properly programmed to run the LED fog lamps. The TIPM is sending the incorrect voltage to the fog lights since it is set up from the factory to run the halogen lamps. You have a couple choices here:
-Buy the halogen fog light housings for the rubi bumper and install those instead
-Add resistors to the wiring to eliminate the flickering
-Lastly, which would be the most difficult, having your dealer see if they can add the sales code and reconfigure the vehicle options

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You are experiencing the flicker because the Jeep is not properly programmed to run the LED fog lamps. The TIPM is sending the incorrect voltage to the fog lights since it is set up from the factory to run the halogen lamps. You have a couple choices here:
-Buy the halogen fog light housings for the rubi bumper and install those instead
-Lastly, which would be the most difficult, having your dealer see if they can add the sales code and reconfigure the vehicle options
Another solution would be to get a Tazer to enable LED mode for your fog lights.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Another solution would be to get a Tazer to enable LED mode for your fog lights.
Yes you’re right, completely forgot to mention that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nickg313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
thanks for the advice.

OP
OP

nickg313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thank you! I was able to speak to the dealer where my Jeep was sold and they were able to provide the sales codes for both LED headlights and foglights. Will be going to a local dealer this week to ee if we can reconfigure!

thanks again for your advice!

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Thank you! I was able to speak to the dealer where my Jeep was sold and they were able to provide the sales codes for both LED headlights and foglights. Will be going to a local dealer this week to ee if we can reconfigure!

Did you get the sales codes added and did they stop the flickering? The codes I had added were LBQ and LNV and they didn't do anything for the flickering

OP
OP

nickg313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
This guy figured it out. See post #33. Hopefully the dealer can provide an easier solution by programming the BCM.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ake-offs-highbeam-and-halo-issue.16537/page-3

Nice. thanks for the reply.

I was able to talk to the dealer in Illinois where my JEEP was originally sold. He gave me the sales code over the phone to fix this issue. I had to have a local dealer reset the sales code as a part of the TIPM system to accept/recognize the correct voltage for LED fog lights.

The local dealer in Dearborn had no idea what i was talking about but i was able to get them to attempt the reset and it worked! There are different sales codes for the headlamps and LED. They did charge for an hour, but the reset took all of 15 mins. No issues since and it has been a week.

LED code: LNV
Headlamp code: LPX

Also found this LED upgrade

i upgrade my DLR lights with these, no flicker at all: https://www.jeepfederation.com/7443-led-no-hyper-flash-amber-white-switchback-for-jeep/

Sponsored

OP
OP

nickg313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Option 3 from above worked, i was able to have the sales codes reset. FLICKER GONE!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Nice. thanks for the reply.

I was able to talk to the dealer in Illinois where my JEEP was originally sold. He gave me the sales code over the phone to fix this issue. I had to have a local dealer reset the sales code as a part of the TIPM system to accept/recognize the correct voltage for LED fog lights.

The local dealer in Dearborn had no idea what i was talking about but i was able to get them to attempt the reset and it worked! There are different sales codes for the headlamps and LED. They did charge for an hour, but the reset took all of 15 mins. No issues since and it has been a week.

LED code: LNV
Headlamp code: LPX

Also found this LED upgrade

i upgrade my DLR lights with these, no flicker at all: https://www.jeepfederation.com/7443-led-no-hyper-flash-amber-white-switchback-for-jeep/
How many sales codes do they need to enter....both codes or only LNV?

Does this LNV code reprogram the front and rear lights or is there a another code for tail lights?

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No problem, think I actually spoke to you on the phone for this one haha small world. Glad it all worked out for you.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

How many sales codes do they need to enter....both codes or only LNV?

Does this LNV code reprogram the front and rear lights or is there a another code for tail lights?
You need both codes and sometimes that doesn't work.... Still looking for a solution

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
You need both codes and sometimes that doesn't work.... Still looking for a solution
I wonder if these sales codes only work on Rubicon and Sahara models since they offer the optional LED package. I suppose the Sport has the option rear tail light LED option with the safety package so maybe my theory is wrong.
Sponsored