Sponsored

Perception vs Reality

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
No worries. We have gone on longer road trips with him, but there are the unknowns that you wonder about. For example, I wasn't sure if people might say "don't bother, they will just get sick" or "there are too many dangers to deal with for dogs."

Bringing our boy is a key factor in our buying a Jeep and starting this adventure. We didn't want to have to leave him at the bording place all the time. Call it due diligence!
If your dog is good with road trips, he will be fine in the Jeep. He'd probably prefer being with you guys vs doggy daycare.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
If your dog is good with road trips, he will be fine in the Jeep. He'd probably prefer being with you guys vs doggy daycare.
Yeah, we could be in a war zone and he’d probably prefer that with us over doggy daycare!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
No worries. We have gone on longer road trips with him, but there are the unknowns that you wonder about. For example, I wasn't sure if people might say "don't bother, they will just get sick" or "there are too many dangers to deal with for dogs."

Bringing our boy is a key factor in our buying a Jeep and starting this adventure. We didn't want to have to leave him at the bording place all the time. Call it due diligence!
They make things like this that might make it more comfortable for your pooch.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/dirtydog-4x4/3-piece-cargo-sides-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 l JLUR
My dog loves the Jeep. I actually just got a new harness from k9USAoutfitters (https://usak9outfitters.com) that is pretty heavy duty and will hopefully keep our lab safe. Now I just have to find some goggles and a scarf for him so he can look like a WWI fighter pilot.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think the water resistant interior on the Wrangler makes it more approachable as a vehicle for hauling a pet. Mud and potty accidents can be cleaned more easily than with a "regular" vehicle.

As far as females go, almost every offroad park I visit is full of females who are having just as much fun as the guys.

Definitely get out and enjoy the outdoors. Hard core trails are not required in order to enjoy the beauty of nature. You'll find that throwing the top open even makes runs to the grocery store three times more enjoyable.

As George Strait said, "There's a difference between livin' and livin' well."

Jeep. There is only one.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My wife and I are in our fifties. The offroad community is super friendly and very helpful. That is not saying that there are no assholes because sometimes there are, but they are few and far between. Dog are always welcome that I have seen. You and your wife are in for a blast. We have been off roading for 30+ years.

I live in Michigan and just retired. My wife and I look forward to doing some Jeeping In Colorado. In Michigan we have a great Jeep club on Facebook and I am sure that there are some also in Colorado.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Sounds like you may be an "overland" family. Lots of reading you can do on what overlanders do instead of "wheeling".

There are tons and tons of fun offroad experiences around you where you won't be out breaking stuff constantly. You don't need a pricey roof tent or fridge necessarily, and you can just customize gear and routes to suit your tastes.

Jeep is the epitome of the American Spirit and you can find plenty YOU like to do and work around that.

The Topless in Tennessee Facebook group has been great for us in our home state and 2 weeks ago we drove up into Daniel Boone National Forest with the dog for two days and stayed in a dog friendly hotel. Just make sure you get some safety gear for communications, first aid, hi-lift, maybe a tire sidewall patch kit, etc.

I used to laugh at Yeti cooler people until I got the JL and bought a huge Orca because that fit what we needed it for.
Sorr OT, but any good areas near you, or west/north?

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorr OT, but any good areas near you, or west/north?
In Middle Tn you can easily reach Land Between the Lakes, Daniel Boone National Forest, Big South Fork, Great Smokey Mountains National Park and things like Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway, a backroad Georgia traverse and the Transamerica Trail which is mostly non paved roads from North Carolina to Oregon.

If you are West and North be sure to check out Loretta Lynn's Trail Jam which is an amazing Jeep event.

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
They make things like this that might make it more comfortable for your pooch.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/dirtydog-4x4/3-piece-cargo-sides-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl
Thanks! I will check it out.

My dog loves the Jeep. I actually just got a new harness from k9USAoutfitters (https://usak9outfitters.com) that is pretty heavy duty and will hopefully keep our lab safe. Now I just have to find some goggles and a scarf for him so he can look like a WWI fighter pilot.
LOL

I think the water resistant interior on the Wrangler makes it more approachable as a vehicle for hauling a pet. Mud and potty accidents can be cleaned more easily than with a "regular" vehicle.

As far as females go, almost every offroad park I visit is full of females who are having just as much fun as the guys.

Definitely get out and enjoy the outdoors. Hard core trails are not required in order to enjoy the beauty of nature. You'll find that throwing the top open even makes runs to the grocery store three times more enjoyable.

As George Strait said, "There's a difference between livin' and livin' well."

Jeep. There is only one.
Thanks for sharing. Good to know!

My wife and I are in our fifties. The offroad community is super friendly and very helpful. That is not saying that there are no assholes because sometimes there are, but they are few and far between. Dog are always welcome that I have seen. You and your wife are in for a blast. We have been off roading for 30+ years.

I live in Michigan and just retired. My wife and I look forward to doing some Jeeping In Colorado. In Michigan we have a great Jeep club on Facebook and I am sure that there are some also in Colorado.
Thanks. That sounds good!

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Another question. Off roading or driving in the snow. During the winter do you find yourselves dong a lot less off roading, or is there still a lot of activity on the trails during those months?

Sponsored

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
[QUOTE=" I just have to find some goggles and a scarf for him so he can look like a WWI fighter pilot.[/QUOTE]

They do make goggle's for dogs.
http://woof.doggles.com/

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Range Rover Turbo Diesel

Dogs in jeeps just adds to the experience!

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Never taken our dog off road with us. But my wife and I love exploring all the 4x4 trails in the Durango, Quary, and Silverton Colorado area. They range from easy to ones that say for experienced off road drivers only. Lots of beautiful scenery you can't see any other way.