DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So whats the consensus on oil thickness, should I go with 5W30 if I live in the south?
I wouldn't. These 0w20 oils are synthetic and very good. They can handle high heat very well. The 3.6 will be easy on oil anyway, even in Death Valley. It has a strong cooling system and an oil cooler. I've had mine in hot/slow conditions and the oil temp hit a peak of about 220 degrees, which is far below what it can actually take. Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, and even Supertech are high performance synthetic oils. They should handle anything the 3.6 throws at it. If you are worried about it, just shorten the change interval. I'll get a UOA in the next 6 weeks or so when I change my current Mobil 1 fill. It has been through some pretty tough conditions, incuding a trip to Moab. My bet is that the UOA shows it to be in very good condition, even after over 7k miles on it. I'll post it up when it gets there.
Sponsored

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I haven't done my first change yet. Everyone says the oil drain plug is a 13 mm socket but I put it on to check and it feels like there's a lot of play. Has anybody stripped the bolt....?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I haven't done my first change yet. Everyone says the oil drain plug is a 13 mm socket but I put it on to check and it feels like there's a lot of play. Has anybody stripped the bolt....?
@Leights7

It is not up to debate, it is in fact, 13mm and a 13 mm socket or closed end wrench, is what you would use for that oil drain plug.

20 ft/lb torque for this oil drain plug ... 3.6L.

Yes, you can damage the oil pan and or oil pan plug if you cross thread and or over tighten, the oil pan bolt when you are reinstalling it. No different on a JL then on other vehicles.

budpitman

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
SW HW Engineer
OK. I just found Mobil 1 M1C-456A oil filters on clearance at 3 local Walmart’s for $3.99 each!!!!! Get em while they are hot. I bought 22 of them. No more around Sachse Tx.

36297A87-428C-4A19-B18F-8BE622875953.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I just found Mobil 1 M1C-456A oil filters on clearance at 3 local Walmart’s for $3.99 each!!!!! Get em while they are hot. I bought 22 of them. No more around Sachse Tx.

Some Walmarts are hitting the next round of price cuts on them which drops them to $2. Mine isn't there yet, though.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

22??? They'll come out with flying Jeeps before you use 'em all up!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@budpitman

And I thought I was a friggin nut job buying 11 of them at Walmart, when I already had 4 OEM filters in my garage..... and I have two vehicles that use that filter.

Here is the forum thread that initially hailed the $3.99 Walmart price..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bil-1-extended-performance-oil-filters.25943/

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW

Dan, did you get the lab results back for you Mobil 1 fill yet? Enquiring minds want to know.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

budpitman

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
SW HW Engineer
22??? They'll come out with flying Jeeps before you use 'em all up!
Yeah. well. that'll get me thru 110k worth of oil changes. I change every 5k no matter what the gauge says. :D

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. well. that'll get me thru 110k worth of oil changes. I change every 5k no matter what the gauge says. :D
I agree. While I know that oil could have gone much longer, I see many, many vehicles on 5k synthetic oil changes reaching 300,000 miles and more. 5k seems to be the most common practice, even though I do see some that do 10k. I just feel more confident that with 5k on it, the oil can still handle anything I throw at it, so that's a good change point.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. While I know that oil could have gone much longer, I see many, many vehicles on 5k synthetic oil changes reaching 300,000 miles and more. 5k seems to be the most common practice, even though I do see some that do 10k. I just feel more confident that with 5k on it, the oil can still handle anything I throw at it, so that's a good change point.
Yeah, 5K will be my interval as well, especially since it takes me 7-8 months to drive that much on the Jeep. The oil may last 10K miles but it's protecting a lot more in the first 5K than the last.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Yes, But I've had some issues with dealers service departments. So I'm done. Not to mention, the cost savings (after freebies) is great.
I agree. It's not worth the hassle of taking your Jeep in and having some untrained dip sh*t do your oil changes. I have been reading quite a bit on this sight about dealerships over filling the engines. This is TOTALLY uncalled for!!! Even if they initially over filled it, aren't they checking the level afterwards??? Hell, drain some out if you have to. Bottom line... if you know what you're doing, you're engine should NEVER be overfilled.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. It's not worth the hassle of taking your Jeep in and having some untrained dip sh*t do your oil changes. I have been reading quite a bit on this sight about dealerships over filling the engines. This is TOTALLY uncalled for!!! Even if they initially over filled it, aren't they checking the level afterwards??? Hell, drain some out if you have to. Bottom line... if you know what you're doing, you're engine should NEVER be overfilled.
Right on. A local oil change shop employee failed to see that the old filter gasket on my Ford Transit Ecoboost did not come off with the old filter. He then installed the new filter over the old gasket, which caused a pinch when tightened. They did a leak check with the engine idling, and all was well. When driven normally and oil pressure doubled (or more), the oil blew out from the pinch between the two gaskets, until all the oil was gone, which I'd say didn't take long. The engine didn't lock up, but it became a total basket case. When towed to the Ford dealer and torn down, they found the engine was ready to blow if it had been run for even a few more minutes. Simple error, big cost. A Ford factory remanufactured engine and both turbos (they were both completely destroyed) was installed to the tune of about $12,000. Fortunately, the oil change shop owner (a great guy) took responsibility and his insurance covered it. He fired the employee. We didn't really want that, but it was his call as the business owner.

No way I'm letting somebody else change the life blood of my Jeeps' engines after that experience, and especially when it is so easy to do myself.
Sponsored