• Total voters

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I will continue to do cosmetic Mods, 1/2 doors for example, use Alien Sunshade on warmer days. Hardtop Hoist installed. I've taken it off road on 3 rated trails on a 5 point scale. Didn't have any issues.

So things I won't be doing despite the nagging of my 13 year old.
1. Winch (I have tow straps, give the next guy something to do)
2. Bigger Tires
3. Lift
4. Bumpers
5. Lights, I'm not afraid of the dark ... :devil:

Seriously, I'm off road, like many of you, about 6-8 times a year. I'll do fine as is.

Oh, and I will black out my Rubicon rims, the rims need to be black. I did paint my rock sliders cherry red. Like I said cosmetic mods.
Red rock sliders sounds cool. Pictures please!
Sponsored

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
My Sahara will just have things like a cargo liner, head liner, etc added.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I am into hiking.

My 2004 Ford Escape with all terrain tyres has driven along tracks that I never imagined it could handle. It has also been stopped by more difficult tracks.

In the event I get a JL it will be a 2 door Sport S stock. It can handle those more difficult tracks. And looks great as it is!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am into hiking.

My 2004 Ford Escape with all terrain tyres has driven along tracks that I never imagined it could handle. It has also been stopped by more difficult tracks.

In the event I get a JL it will be a 2 door Sport S stock. It can handle those more difficult tracks. And looks great as it is!
That's what I ordered. A 2 door 3.6 auto with soft top and I upgraded the wheels to the A/T ones.

IMG_20190112_123315119.jpg

Sponsored

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
The only thing I have done to my Sport S so far is add a set of side steps and added a set of Rubi takeoff wheels and tires. I'm looking for a set Rubi Steel bumbers for the next mod.
I think if you got a Rubi, modding it becomes un-necessary. For my Sport S, like @rkammer, i added Mopar side steps and sill guards and coincidentally I've also started looking for some Rubi take off wheels too. If I do get Rubi wheels, I'll afix "Not A Rubicon" on my hood :lol:

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I'm not against modding but i flat out can't afford it!!! This stuff is expensive!!

I'll be modding here and there as I can afford it but i'm not going to go broke trying to mod it out.

So far all i've done is a stubby antenna, 33 inch tires, plasti dipped my stock rims (because money!), and put on some side steps and wired the lights on them (ROAM thanks to TTEChris for his thread explaining how to do it and many PMs!).

Things I want to add...
2.5 inch lift
some aftermarket wheels (gonna be looking on craigslist for that)
spiderweb shade
LED headlights and fog lights
Led tail lights (at some point when I can get them on the cheap)
Front and read bumpers
and upgrade to 35 inch tires

Once i've done all of that... I think i'll be more than content with the mods i've made. I think i'll always be looking at different accessories and different things I can add over time that just look cool or at some functionality but the list above is what i'm shooting for. And i plan to have this Jeep for at least 15 years, so i have plenty of time to make all of that happen. As it gets older I'm sure some of those mods will be cheaper to do.

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I admit that when i see a soccer mom driving a 7 year old JKU that has clearly never even had the hardtop off, I cringe.

It's not the lack of mods that bother me, but a grand cherokee would have been a better choice for their lifestyle. I just don't understand buying a machine that is made to go anywhere with the top off being used like a Ford minivan.

No foul buying a rubicon and not spending another 10k on mods though. Just for goodness sake please get some fun out of it or it was a huge waste.

Sponsored

ATC_Austin

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hey man, love the look of your JL. It's one of the best looking I've seen even without a lift. What kind of tires and rims did you go with?

My only mods so far are new tires & wheels, Mopar Gas Door, Mopar locking gas cap keyed to Jeep key. Just turned 500 miles, so for now I'm going to drive it and enjoy it until my bank account recovers from the tires and wheels, then more mods to come.

jl 2.jpg

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
My Sport 2 door had the back seat out and a cargo mat in immediately. It came with tinted glass, Mopar mats, a/c, auto tranny, limited slip and A/T tires. Aside from that, I have no need to change anything. I did all my offroading 50 years ago. Now, a Jeep is a capable utilitarian ride, that's all.
Jeep.jpg

Last edited:

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
My Sport 2 door had the back seat out and a cargo mat in immediately. It came with tinted glass, a/c, auto tranny, limited slip and A/T tires. Aside from that, I have no need to change anything. I did all ky offroading 50 years ago. Now, a Jeep is a capable utilitarian ride, that's all.
" a capable utilitarian ride ........ " For me, the perfect Vermont vehicle.... back seats down, freight blanket cover=4 door 2 seater..done

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Even if I had the money, I wouldn’t super-mod my Jeep. I’m a little funny that way.

I have been off road in heavy mud, sugar sand, and flag ponds with other wheelers, in my stock ‘73 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. God I wish I still had it. It was stock.

I learned a long time ago that successful wheeling in those heavy conditions is 70% driving skill, 30% equipment. I went places with that FJ40 that heavily modded wheelers got stuck or hung-up in, because a lot of those guys put too much faith in their equipment and paid ZERO attention to wheeling skills - techniques and procedures. They would just try to blast their way through with no regard to proper technique, and sometimes not only got stuck but also seriously damaged their vehicles.

When I hit the mud with fellow wheelers soon, I will have a blast doing it stock, and perhaps showing some of the young ‘uns a thing or two about wheeling. ;)

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Hey man, love the look of your JL. It's one of the best looking I've seen even without a lift. What kind of tires and rims did you go with?
Thank Austin. I didn't go too wild on tire & wheel size. It is my daily driver and didn't want to lose the drivability/jeep comfort.

Wheels are Fuel Off Road, Podium D619, 17 x 9 w/ +1 offset

Tires are BFG KO2's, 285/70R17

jl3.jpg

jl4.jpg
Sponsored