plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So this is going to be a non-popular build, as I am trying to achieve a goal: build a premium on-road daily driver with some degrees of off-road performance. One thing I really like is the stock geometry of JLUR. I am not a big fan of monster truck-ish build, and unfortunately, I am a minority in the Jeep community. As I am talking to my local offroad shop, they even laugh at me like why do you even buy a Wrangler if you are not going to lift.

Well to each of its own, I just like the way Rubicon comes with almost 1" lift and 33. Remember in the JK days, 33 is actually considered a large tire, and now for JL 35 is the new 33, and 37 is the new 35. So I am pretty sure the next iteration of Wrangler Rubicon will come with 35 standard, well, if EPA has not completely neutered it.

There are several pros with no lift.

Pros:
  • Easy to get in and out. For me, I have two lovely daughters aged 2 and 5, so this will yield a happy wife say no less.
  • Less potential warranty issue with asshole dealership.
  • Minimal altering to factory engineering design, so you are backed by the hundreds of thousands miles road test by the factory.
  • Less money spent. For me, if I am going to lift then I need to buy new tires otherwise the fender well will look empty, for new 35+ tire then I need to modify the tailgate, also I will regear and has to reprogram. See this is like a chain reaction for me because I want to do things right if I am going to lift. So it is like a $3000+ investment for less MPG, less comfortable, and less a lot of things.
Cons:
  • Not badass look. I can take that, and I am a pretty low-key person so that actually works for me.
  • Prepare to be laughed by other fellow Jeepers, especially those who own "big bad mean rigs"!
  • Has to wrench by yourself, since most off-road shops will not profit from you and they are likely going to turn you away.
However, no lift does not mean any mod. I am still going to put on many mods on my Jeep. This will be the post I document them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Mods list

Suspension: although I am not going to lift it, I still plan to swap some other suspension components to tune the way JLUR respond to road condition. We have pretty bad roads here in Oklahoma.
  • Steering stabilizer: OEM sucks, so I will go with Falcon Nexus EF 2.2
  • Shocks: I don't like the red-look and mushy dampening of the Rubicon shocks, so I will likely go with Falcon 2.1/3.1 non-lift shocks. Falcon 2.1 is within my budget, and I like more stiffness.
  • Tires: will have 315 KO2 C installed, thank you comrade Raptor!

Last edited:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
now for JL 35 is the new 33, and 37 is the new 35
LOL - exactly!!! Back when I was driving Xterras (no stranger to off roading) 33's were the holy grail. I don't plan on lifting my JLUR either as it just fits under my garage door as is (I'm obsessive about garaging my vehicles).Could I fit 35's and still fit... schmaybe... I mean it's only an inch higher. But won't have to make that decision until the stock BFGs need replacing.

I agree 100% with all your pros... and I know what you mean about your first two cons... I sense a hint of disdain when a lifted wrangler with oversized tires pulls up next to me (often won't even acknowledge me in any way).

BTW... I LOVE my GPCA cargo cover... second best investment I've made (first best investment is the Bestop Freedom Sunrider... but darn it since I put it on it's rained every freaking day (in SoCal that's very unusual!).

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I have similar plans. Couldnā€™t care less about lifting unless I need it for the trails Iā€™ll run (Moab, Colorado). Iā€™ll go higher when I have to start getting assists (or winching) on the trails. 35s and some beefed up armor is where Iā€™ll start.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ā€˜18 JLUR
I agree with you, completely. In the fall of 2017, I rented a JKUR in Moab that had a 2ā€ lift and 33ā€™s. We took it on a number of trails that I considered fairly extreme, and it performed perfectly. I was in the process of purchasing a JK, and had plans for a 2ā€ lift and 33ā€™s, when Jeep announced the JL. Since the new JLUR was to come from the factory, essentially equipped as my ā€œmodifiedā€ JK would have been, I waited and ordered a JL and couldnā€™t be happier. Iā€™ve since added a few minor mods (backup light, defrost ā€œbuttonsā€, floor mats, winch, and would add a better slider if ROAM could get their act together, or if LOD would extend their Destroyer to cover the entire pinch seam), but Iā€™m very satisfied with my JLUR without having to make major suspension changes. As they say, ā€œto each his ownā€.

Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
same here. 37 KM3 coming with no lift on my JLUR

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
Check out expedition oneā€™s roof rack. No drilling and itā€™s low profile. Not sure of the cost, only seen pics of it.

JLMarine

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you! I have had many Jeeps, everything but a JK, and can tell you you don't have to lift it for functionality or looks. No plans to lift mine.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So my 40" tires on 22" wheels with spinners, 6" lift, rope ladder to get in and out, headlight relocation kit to lower them to meet state light requirements, are too much? And I thought I was being conservative.
It is funny how you say the JL comes from the factory as a good machine then slam the stabilizer and shocks that 9p% of the owners won't touch and think they are fine.
Your daughter could probably put a 2" lift on her Jeep and still be able to get in. I like the lights on her roll bar. She is a hard core Jeeper.

Sponsored

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
Hey neighbor,
I'm going the same way you are with my new girl (wife calls her my second Mistress, after my tj)
You have a Rubicon, this is way more capable off road stock than my cj's or tj was. I had to do serious lifts to run 33/35s and they can be put on yours (and my jlu Rubicon) off the lot. If you're going rock crawling add skid plates so you don't damage anything underneath. Oklahoma red clays blows goats also.

As far as the big bad lifters,
1) you can do 99.5% of the things they do on the trails. Learning with stock makes a better wheeler when you decide to go bigger.
2) most are posers compensating... lol

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I also have similar plans. As my daily driver, my goals are two fold, make it a lot better than stock on road, and make it a little better off-road than stock. To meet first goal, I don't plan on lifting either, or maybe a leveling kit at most. But I have a Sport, not a Rubi. So, you're taller than me already. ;)
Sponsored