Sponsored

JL Hood Lock Bolt Vs MOPAR

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand the locking gas cap but why the locking hood? I am new to this community. Has people had $h!t stolen or damaged under the hood? Would seem strange to me but then again I don’t live on 9-mile.. or is there some other purpose? I don’t get it.
Sponsored

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
I can understand the locking gas cap but why the locking hood? I am new to this community. Has people had $h!t stolen or damaged under the hood? Would seem strange to me but then again I don’t live on 9-mile.. or is there some other purpose? I don’t get it.
For me, since I live in Lisbon and need to park the car on the street, I'm just afraid someone will steal the battery.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt I would spend the coin on a hood lock, I don’t have any high price accessories under the hood except the battery and maybe an alarm system tied to the hood switches would be better

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Email from Bolt lock manufacturer...

We are currently expecting the JL Hood Lock to be available around April. I don't have a firm cost on it yet, as we are having to add several pieces, including the replacement grill mesh piece for your JL.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Email from Bolt lock manufacturer...

We are currently expecting the JL Hood Lock to be available around April. I don't have a firm cost on it yet, as we are having to add several pieces, including the replacement grill mesh piece for your JL.
Thanks for the much appreciated and desired timeline update @Boatbuilder88 .

Sponsored

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The problem with that type of lock is if Mopar comes out with the trail camera upgrade for the JL that is on the Gladiator. This would sit exactly in the same spot. I want that camera more than a lock

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm wondering how hard it would be to create some hardware that prevents the safety catch that keeps the hood down, even if the latches on an otherwise closed hood are undone, from being released, unless some in-the-rig level is pulled.

You know--basically like every other vehicle's hood release works.

Arguably a steel cable could make its way through the firewall opening below and to the right of the glove box: the same one used for the 7 pin wire harness, and attach to a pull lever inside the rig.

Really: 18 months to bring concept to market (and there's no guarantee this April '19 date will be met given the product's been offered but delayed 4 or 5 times now: at least is it regards Bolt's version of the lock for MOPAR (as offered at Quadratec)) where the hardest part (I think) is creating the lock that accepts the JL's physical key: a hurdle already passed by Bolt in other JL key lock products and MOPAR's Fob key matching gas cap lock--even if the latter requires the user to set the lock pins while the Bolt lock does it automatically.

I'd gladly set my own pins. It's tedious work but not hard, and otherwise well documented.

Side note. While I'm happy to hear that there will be aftermarket solutions to arming the hood, another part of me says, "really FCA?! You have not one, but two hood open sensors under the hood that you already use for, among other things ESS (as many of us are familiar with this ESS disabling workaround), and yet you couldn't tie either or both of those into the rig's alarm system?

Really? Really really?

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I was planning to get the Mopar lock when it finally became available, but then I saw (heard) the hood alarm feature update with the Tazer JL Mini and I think I like that option better.
Where did you find out about this feature?

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Where did you find out about this feature?
For the life of me, I can't find the video... I remember at the very end of some random YouTube clip, someone showed off a feature where the alarm (horn and lights) went off if the hood was opened. I wish I could find it again. Yes, it was a JL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rockadile
@ToolMan514

Tazer JL - Firmware 11.0.7 beta(s)
Instructions:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJL1107betahuserguide.pdf

"Hood Alarm – When the vehicle theft alarm is armed, monitors hood activity and will sound the alarm and flash light shows if opened."

With that said, if you have a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Mini and have 11.0.7 beta firmware on it, "Hood Alarm" is a "Non-Menu Live Function".

Per ZAutomotive - You will be able to:
"Hood Alarm: Arm the factory Vehicle Theft Alarm. If the hood is opened while armed, the alarm will sound and the Tazer JL Light show will be invoked. To turn off, press the PANIC button on the keyfob to turn off the alarm, and the LOCK button to turn off the light show."

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@rockadile
@ToolMan514

Tazer JL - Firmware 11.0.7 beta(s)
Instructions:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJL1107betahuserguide.pdf

"Hood Alarm – When the vehicle theft alarm is armed, monitors hood activity and will sound the alarm and flash light shows if opened."

With that said, if you have a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Mini and have 11.0.7 beta firmware on it, "Hood Alarm" is a "Non-Menu Live Function".

Per ZAutomotive - You will be able to:
"Hood Alarm: Arm the factory Vehicle Theft Alarm. If the hood is opened while armed, the alarm will sound and the Tazer JL Light show will be invoked. To turn off, press the PANIC button on the keyfob to turn off the alarm, and the LOCK button to turn off the light show."

Thank you for your link.

Is it correct to say, from your above words, that the 11.0.7 beta Firmware of the Tazer JL will have the hood alarm function, but there's nothing for the owner of Tazer JL with this firmware release to configure to enable this feature?

(I refer to your "Hood Alarm" is a "Non-Menu Live Function" words.)

Maybe I should re-say my question for clarity:

When you say a "Non-Menu Live Function" I am interpreting this to mean, maybe incorrectly, "a feature that's available simply when running this Firmware release and properly connecting (and keeping connected) the Tazer JL to the vehicle as per the manufacturer's instructions."

Please educate me. Thanks. Maybe I got what you said all wrong.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rahneld

Ron, I'm not sure what you are asking... but yes, in short, you plug in the Tazer JL that has firmware 11.0.7 beta on it and you will have Hood Alarm if you desire Hood Alarm. You do not need to do anything wiring wise, etc. to the JL.

tylercranston

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Where will the lock go on the new gladiator?

Greenshot 2019-02-04 19.01.46.png
Sponsored