Sponsored

2.0 turbo vs Pentastar V6

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
My thoughts are the 2.0L upgrade cost doesn't offset any fuel savings. 3.6L is great, that's what I went with.
Sponsored

akmuddy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went through this discussion in my own head a few dozen times before buying the 2.0L turbo. The issue for me comes down to power loss at altitude (which only impacts a few of us). My daily drive (in Colorado) is between 6500ft - 7100ft. Weekend drives can be from 6500ft - 1400ft. At 3% power loss for every 1000ft in altitude, the V6 just loses to the 2.0L turbo in every way. The turbo pulls harder than I expected and the added fuel economy (not that I really care) is "gravy". My wife has the V6 on her 2018 Cherokee and I only like driving it in "Sport" mode. Otherwise, it's a dog. At altitude, I think either would be fine...especially if its going to spend most of it's time in ATL traffic. But, I would rethink the 22s...lol J/K

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
When I ordered my Rubicon back in June of last year, there were not 2.0's on the lot to test drive, and there was not definitive answer on when they would start shipping. That said, if I was ordering today, I would stick with the V6. Not only does it have proven reliability, while I'm sure the 2.0 performs well, I still have a hang up with having a 48v battery underneath an offroad vehicle. I'm sure it will be fine...but just can't get away from the concern.

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
CJ pony parts did a test with a 4 door V6 JL vs a 2 door JL turbo.
The V6 pulled a whole lot better than the turbo, despite its weight disadvantage.

With that being said, test drive both and make a decision.

Sure there might be some tuning available for the turbo, but you can kiss your warranty good bye.

Oh and E-torq might give you issues down the line.

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
The 2.0 is only available with auto transmission. That eliminated the 2.0 for me.

I like Pepsi more than Coke...9mm is better than .40...
Sorry, but I have to go with a Coke and .45 as the right way to go.

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
My expectation is the diesel will definitely cost a ton of $'s, but I will pay whatever the hell FCA asks (ur, uh, make that "demands!":)). The biggest drawback with the diesel is it will not be available, according to the FCA Exec at the 2018 Auto Show, until sometime in "CY2020." I take this to realistically mean the last day of CY2020, or in other words, hopefully by sometime 1Q2021. So, if you are willing to wait another 2 years (as am I), there's no doubt about it, the diesel is the way to go. Ppl buying in June 2019 and settling for the boring V6, or the tiny turbo 4-binger/electric boost, will be absolutely sick to their stomachs when they see and hear that beautiful sound of a kickass diesel mall crawler Jeep Gladiator (or Wrangler). Even worse, they will take horrendous hits on their trade-ins, and this after only 2 years (or less) of ownership. Best to wait for the awesome oil burner, peeps! But hey, IMHO, JM2C, and YMMV!

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
I had a 3.6 in my 18.So I ordered a 2.0 in my 19 to try.The 3.6 was old to me.Had it in my jk too

wmgeiger

First Name
Bill Geiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 UJK Sold, 2019 UJL Rubicon
I went through this discussion in my own head a few dozen times before buying the 2.0L turbo. The issue for me comes down to power loss at altitude (which only impacts a few of us). My daily drive (in Colorado) is between 6500ft - 7100ft. Weekend drives can be from 6500ft - 1400ft. At 3% power loss for every 1000ft in altitude, the V6 just loses to the 2.0L turbo in every way. The turbo pulls harder than I expected and the added fuel economy (not that I really care) is "gravy". My wife has the V6 on her 2018 Cherokee and I only like driving it in "Sport" mode. Otherwise, it's a dog. At altitude, I think either would be fine...especially if its going to spend most of it's time in ATL traffic. But, I would rethink the 22s...lol J/K
I agree 100% on the turbo. I drove both 19 UJL equipped the same and hands down at 5-6k feet the engine is way stronger IMO. I'm a tech guy so give me the most you have. One big thing that everyone is forgetting as I understand it the V6 with have the 48 volt system later this year. I'm not worried about as it is here to stay!

singaporeIrish1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR; 2021 Ram TRX; 2020 Supra
Now one month/900 miles in on a 2019 2.0L and 4 months/3,200 miles on a 2018 3.6L. Owned lots of Jeeps and multiple 3.6L's ... but have to say that I prefer the daily driving of the 2.0L. Like the responsiveness and punch. Live in central Illinois where we've recently
IMG_1735.jpg
had back-to-back weekends of 13" and 5" of snow. Pulled a Cadillac CTS from a ditch using the 2.0L ... no issues, no difference to the 3.6. The only thing I would change would be the sound/tone of the 4 cylinder. Looking / listening to some muffler solutions to see if that provides any remedy. Happy with the 2.0 ... Its the one I choose to drive and I'm an old school Jeep guy.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove both for quite a while. I didn’t want to like the turbo but I did and wound up buying. More torque and power.
As others have said in other threads, only if you use 91 and pay at least $1000 or more.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be more concerned about your gearing especially if not a Rubicon. Those huge wheels and big tires put a lot of weight on your Jeep.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
My expectation is the diesel will definitely cost a ton of $'s, but I will pay whatever the hell FCA asks (ur, uh, make that "demands!":)). The biggest drawback with the diesel is it will not be available, according to the FCA Exec at the 2018 Auto Show, until sometime in "CY2020." I take this to realistically mean the last day of CY2020, or in other words, hopefully by sometime 1Q2021. So, if you are willing to wait another 2 years (as am I), there's no doubt about it, the diesel is the way to go. Ppl buying in June 2019 and settling for the boring V6, or the tiny turbo 4-binger/electric boost, will be absolutely sick to their stomachs when they see and hear that beautiful sound of a kickass diesel mall crawler Jeep Gladiator (or Wrangler). Even worse, they will take horrendous hits on their trade-ins, and this after only 2 years (or less) of ownership. Best to wait for the awesome oil burner, peeps! But hey, IMHO, JM2C, and YMMV!
Guess you will just be stuck driving that G63

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Now one month/900 miles in on a 2019 2.0L and 4 months/3,200 miles on a 2018 3.6L. Owned lots of Jeeps and multiple 3.6L's ... but have to say that I prefer the daily driving of the 2.0L. Like the responsiveness and punch. Live in central Illinois where we've recently
IMG_1735.jpg
had back-to-back weekends of 13" and 5" of snow. Pulled a Cadillac CTS from a ditch using the 2.0L ... no issues, no difference to the 3.6. The only thing I would change would be the sound/tone of the 4 cylinder. Looking / listening to some muffler solutions to see if that provides any remedy. Happy with the 2.0 ... Its the one I choose to drive and I'm an old school Jeep guy.
I have to give your reply much more weight. Your feedback is not from a few back to back test drives at a dealer. You are unique because you actually own both and drive them back to back daily. Would love to hear more feed back from you. Thanks.

Deleted member 29342

I went with the 3.6. It’s been around for years. I learned my lesson on getting a turbo truck that isn’t diesel. I had a f150 with the eco boosted motor. Three years in 32,000 miles later turbos had to be replaced.
Sponsored