FCA Lifetime Warranty Question

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Was it an internal wiring issue with the LED headlights? I mean if you replace your factory halogens headlights with Sylvania oe Phillips halogens is that considered aftermarket too? If not then it would be no different than replacing factory LED or Halogens with aftermarket branded LEDs IMO as long as the original plugs/wiring is not altered.

Dealers will likely try to find ways to weasel out of warranty work if they can I imagine.
I had taken it in because the light quit working. Dealer looked at it and the previous owner had put some grease on the plug and corroded both sides. Had to get a new female connection for both lamps and wasnā€™t covered because.......the headlights werenā€™t OEM. So Iā€™ll be keeping my JL mostly equipped with Mopar parts to ensure warranty covers any malfunctions but didnā€™t know Iā€™d there was some fine print where after spending $2300 theyā€™ll still say, ā€œsorry, youā€™re SOLā€
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If your dealer offers a free lifetime limited warranty make sure you understand the difference between a dealer warranty and an FCA warranty. The dealer warranty is only good at that dealership and may have costly maintenance fees.

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
I had taken it in because the light quit working. Dealer looked at it and the previous owner had put some grease on the plug and corroded both sides. Had to get a new female connection for both lamps and wasnā€™t covered because.......the headlights werenā€™t OEM. So Iā€™ll be keeping my JL mostly equipped with Mopar parts to ensure warranty covers any malfunctions but didnā€™t know Iā€™d there was some fine print where after spending $2300 theyā€™ll still say, ā€œsorry, youā€™re SOLā€
Just another reason I'll likely skip the extra $4k for the lifetime warranty.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Just another reason I'll likely skip the extra $4k for the lifetime warranty.
Dealer told me today that there should be no issue covering aftermarket parts like shocks if theyā€™re mopar. Anything else is up to the discretion of the warranty folks. Thereā€™s not much Iā€™m gonna do to the JL so Iā€™ll prob do the $200 deductible lifetime Maxcare plan for $2300

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Yes, I received the following quote for the 2018 JL, send him an email to get info directly from him, he answered back pretty quickly:

From: Tom Winkels, email [email protected] - Finance Manager, Hayes Jeep - TEL-269.488.2080

MSRP is $3965
Employee price $2973
His price $2665 $100 deductible
Or $2340 $200 deductible

You can purchase this contract at this price from him after you take delivery and prior to Mopar raising their prices, which usually occurs in early April each year. Also, Mopar applies a $150 surcharge after your vehicle reaches 12 months from ā€˜in serviceā€™ date or 12,000 miles.

I contacted Tom Winkels @ Hayes Jeep as well. Same price quote as listed above. He also provided the brochure for Max Care.

Attachments

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Was it an internal wiring issue with the LED headlights? I mean if you replace your factory halogens headlights with Sylvania oe Phillips halogens is that considered aftermarket too? If not then it would be no different than replacing factory LED or Halogens with aftermarket branded LEDs IMO as long as the original plugs/wiring is not altered.

Dealers will likely try to find ways to weasel out of warranty work if they can I imagine.
Dealers have no incentive to "weasel" out of actual, valid warranty work. Quite the opposite, in fact - their service department does the repairs and their parts departments sells the parts and they get PAID for it - revenue. This isn't in specific reference to Flyguy's experience - really couldn't say - but in general when there's an opportunity to perform warranty work that's good news for the servicing dealer as they get to do the work at book rate no questions asked.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Dealers have no incentive to "weasel" out of actual, valid warranty work. Quite the opposite, in fact - their service department does the repairs and their parts departments sells the parts and they get PAID for it - revenue. This isn't in specific reference to Flyguy's experience - really couldn't say - but in general when there's an opportunity to perform warranty work that's good news for the servicing dealer as they get to do the work at book rate no questions asked.
I would bet that depends on whether itā€™s a warranty the dealer offers, vs FCA. If the warranty is only valid at that dealership, itā€™s not FCA, and Iā€™d imagine they have all the incentive in the world to duck it.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
When I was an Affiliate for, the manufacturers did not pay the dealership the same ā€œbookā€ rate for parts and labor as a customer would. If itā€™s a 4hr job to the customer the manufacturer may only pay 1hr for the warranty work. If thatā€™s changed itā€™s news to me

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I would bet that depends on whether itā€™s a warranty the dealer offers, vs FCA. If the warranty is only valid at that dealership, itā€™s not FCA, and Iā€™d imagine they have all the incentive in the world to duck it.
When I say warranty I mean factory - these dealer "warranties" don't mean squat to me, for the reason you state and more.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
True but when I was a flatrate tech, the hours that we could book on a warranty job was alot less than the cust pay job.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I did an 8 year 80000 mile for $1700 sounded pretty good to me.. I did get the Unlimited one or whatever they call it.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I received the following quote for the 2018 JL, send him an email to get info directly from him, he answered back pretty quickly:

From: Tom Winkels, email [email protected] - Finance Manager, Hayes Jeep - TEL-269.488.2080

MSRP is $3965
Employee price $2973
His price $2665 $100 deductible
Or $2340 $200 deductible

You can purchase this contract at this price from him after you take delivery and prior to Mopar raising their prices, which usually occurs in early April each year. Also, Mopar applies a $150 surcharge after your vehicle reaches 12 months from ā€˜in serviceā€™ date or 12,000 miles.
So I am reading this correctly? Can the warranty be purchased withing the first 12 months or 12,000 at the same price as new? If so why would you purchase it when the car is new, why not wait 12 months and get a feel for the Jeep before you drop $2600?

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
So I am reading this correctly? Can the warranty be purchased withing the first 12 months or 12,000 at the same price as new? If so why would you purchase it when the car is new, why not wait 12 months and get a feel for the Jeep before you drop $2600?
No matter when purchased it starts at zero miles and day of new vehicle purchase.

Last edited:

pickles61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Firecracker Red
. The only reason I can think of is to avoid any price increases that usually happen in April.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
No matter when purchased it starts at zero miles and day of purchase.[/QUOTER
No matter when purchased it starts at zero miles and day of purchase.
Right, but I guess my thought is keep my money in the bank or invested another year before I pull the trigger on a life time warranty if I can. That way if you want to sell it and get a diesel or something you are not the money on a lifetime warranty.
Sponsored