Sponsored

First Report on 6 Speed--Drove it Home!!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, how is the E Brake compared to the JK ? Is it a better hold, and design, compared to the JK drum and spring type ? Certainly important item, especially in a Manual. Thanks
It is really good and holds tight, even on a steep drive. My JK's e-brake worked for about 30 to 40k miles, and was ok, but then it quit holding. I finally got it fixed at about 116k. They replaced most of the rusted out parts in the mechanism in the rear disc/drum. Now, it is excellent and holds tighter than it did new. It isn't far off from the JL, but I still know it is a crappy design. Maybe they used improved parts when they rebuilt it. I'd love to see the details in the JL's design. I hope they improved it. It sure feels like it.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
It is really good and holds tight, even on a steep drive. My JK's e-brake worked for about 30 to 40k miles, and was ok, but then it quit holding. I finally got it fixed at about 116k. They replaced most of the rusted out parts in the mechanism in the rear disc/drum. Now, it is excellent and holds tighter than it did new. It isn't far off from the JL, but I still know it is a crappy design. Maybe they used improved parts when they rebuilt it. I'd love to see the details in the JL's design. I hope they improved it. It sure feels like it.
I'm really jealous of you driving that manual for some days now :angry:

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Dealer called me today to check our their Granite Rubicon(I have a White 6spd on order, but I wanted to check one out in person.) When I checked their site I was excited b/c the only granite they showed on their site was a 6spd.... Unfortunately when I got there it was a customers order that was showing as inventory rather than the 8spd I ended up driving

Sorry to derail the thread, but Matthew did you used to own an E36? I've had 4 E36 M3's throughout my life, and to this day still love them to death. I rebuilt my first motor on my 1995 M3 when I mistakenly went into 2nd gear instead of 4th on the track. BMW Ruined it for me after the E36, things just got too complicated to work on and expensive to replace. The E90 V8 is one I'd like to own, but again I like working on my own vehicles and BMW made that difficult to do with the newer cars.
Had an E36 328 then M3 sedan...tracked it a bit..cams, exhaust, etc. Miss it more than I will my E90 M3 sedan I think. Just getting harder to sit low...and need a less encouraging car in terms of gas pedal these days!

Both have been reliable...I wrenched a lot of mods on the e36, but had little time to play with the e90...probably why I am not as connected to it.

Hoping a 6 speed wrangler will be interesting enough to drive and a nice change!

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Had an E36 328 then M3 sedan...tracked it a bit..cams, exhaust, etc. Miss it more than I will my E90 M3 sedan I think. Just getting harder to sit low...and need a less encouraging car in terms of gas pedal these days!

Both have been reliable...I wrenched a lot of mods on the e36, but had little time to play with the e90...probably why I am not as connected to it.

Hoping a 6 speed wrangler will be interesting enough to drive and a nice change!
First time you take it to a decent offroad park you will forget all about the BMW. I was really into sports cars until I bought my ex wife an FJ Cruiser(I had an 05 Viper at the time, and a 99 M3 as my daily driver.) I did some minor things to it, and we took it to a FJ meetup at Hidden Falls Offroad park. Well, after a weekend of camping/offroading I decided to sell the FJ & Viper, buy my wife a Tahoe and got myself my first Wrangler(2012) Since then I've had four Wranglers. I still work on a lot of sports cars, and while they are still fun to drive I am happy to get out of them and back in my Jeep at the end of the day.
My family doesn't miss sitting in the padocks while I'm on the track with my cars... Now they get to ride along and do all the fun/adventurous things with me in the Jeep.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
My family doesn't miss sitting in the padocks while I'm on the track with my cars... Now they get to ride along and do all the fun/adventurous things with me in the Jeep.
Ha, Im sure! Weekend long track days dont fit my fam.

I used to like outdoor activities so hoping the park 1.5 hours from me is nice and fun. I would love to take the family there get some light offloading in on a weekend day. We rented a utv in CO and we ALL had a blast.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
First time you take it to a decent offroad park you will forget all about the BMW. I was really into sports cars until I bought my ex wife an FJ Cruiser(I had an 05 Viper at the time, and a 99 M3 as my daily driver.) I did some minor things to it, and we took it to a FJ meetup at Hidden Falls Offroad park. Well, after a weekend of camping/offroading I decided to sell the FJ & Viper, buy my wife a Tahoe and got myself my first Wrangler(2012) Since then I've had four Wranglers. I still work on a lot of sports cars, and while they are still fun to drive I am happy to get out of them and back in my Jeep at the end of the day.
Sort of off subject. Pretty sure I read somewhere (you’ll notice a lot of my sentences start with this because I read a sh*t ton) that Toyota is creating an FJ Cruiser-like vehicle to compete with the Wrangler. Thoughts?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of off subject. Pretty sure I read somewhere (you’ll notice a lot of my sentences start with this because I read a sh*t ton) that Toyota is creating an FJ Cruiser-like vehicle to compete with the Wrangler. Thoughts?
I doubt it will have solid Axles like the JK/JL. The body on the last FJ was a little wide for the offroading I like to do, and the non solid axles made the JK way more capable. Now if they use the Wrangler as an example, and stick to their original FJ roots they may have a winner. I'm also intrigued by the upcoming bronco, but I have a feeling ford is going to mess that one up.
My wifes old FJ, nice vehicle but it's no Wrangler!

DSC_0261.jpg

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt it will have solid Axles like the JK/JL. The body on the last FJ was a little wide for the offroading I like to do, and the non solid axles made the JK way more capable. Now if they use the Wrangler as an example, and stick to their original FJ roots they may have a winner. I'm also intrigued by the upcoming bronco, but I have a feeling ford is going to mess that one up.
My wifes old FJ, nice vehicle but it's no Wrangler!

DSC_0261.jpg
I love the old Broncos, but Ford.....ugh
763BAC0C-40EF-4C9B-8901-E0BC5F739F47.jpeg

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I love the old Broncos ...
When I lived in Colorado in the 90's, first gen Broncos were moderately priced, and all over the place. In the realm of several thousand dollars for a decent condition vehicle. Fast forward - what happened?! Was back visiting two summers ago, thought about picking up a Bronco, but the prices have gone through the roof. Some people are asking in the tens of thousands range. Dropped that idea fast. Not sure why there is such a demand now. Regretting not getting one earlier for a few thousand.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I lived in Colorado in the 90's, first gen Broncos were moderately priced, and all over the place. In the realm of several thousand dollars for a decent condition vehicle. Fast forward - what happened?! Was back visiting two summers ago, thought about picking up a Bronco, but the prices have gone through the roof. Some people are asking in the tens of thousands range. Dropped that idea fast. Not sure why there is such a demand now. Regretting not getting one earlier for a few thousand.
Crazy! But they were sooo cool!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you, but for some odd reason my ex wife wanted one.... Luckily she is my ex!
My current wife loves the Wranglers, and actually wants me to get her an older XJ as a toy.... I think the new one is a keeper!!