2 Door Mojito Rubi

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
really enjoying my wheel & tire combo, looks great and rides great.

Machete.jpg
I'm considering these wheels but a couple of things I'm concerned about. First is the weight. I really have reservations adding a 41lb wheel plus a 70-80lb 37" tire. Second, and probably my biggest concern is the 3.5" BS these wheels have. With the wider JL Rubi axles, do you find that the poke is limiting your uptravel when flexing any? How much bump stop did you have to add to make your setup work?

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering these wheels but a couple of things I'm concerned about. First is the weight. I really have reservations adding a 41lb wheel plus a 70-80lb 37" tire. Second, and probably my biggest concern is the 3.5" BS these wheels have. With the wider JL Rubi axles, do you find that the poke is limiting your uptravel when flexing any? How much bump stop did you have to add to make your setup work?
Unfortunately with beadlocks weight is something that you usually have to live with. There are some slight benefits to that weight in extreme offroad situations, but you do feel it rolling down the road.

Currently he is using the 2" bumpstops included with the Rough Country kit. With the offset it puts the tire outside the lower lip of the fenders allowing for less clearance than a tire that would tuck into them at full articulation. We will be toying around with different JLU springs we have here and switching shocks shortly, but to clear the fenders with the current wheel/tire setup he will need 2.5"(Possibly 3")bumpstops.

I'm trying to get him to "chop" the fenders, so we can do away with the bumpstops, but he is in love with his LED DRL's. :headbang:

small1.jpg
small2.jpg

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately with beadlocks weight is something that you usually have to live with. There are some slight benefits to that weight in extreme offroad situations, but you do feel it rolling down the road.

Currently he is using the 2" bumpstops included with the Rough Country kit. With the offset it puts the tire outside the lower lip of the fenders allowing for less clearance than a tire that would tuck into them at full articulation. We will be toying around with different JLU springs we have here and switching shocks shortly, but to clear the fenders with the current wheel/tire setup he will need 2.5"(Possibly 3")bumpstops.

I'm trying to get him to "chop" the fenders, so we can do away with the bumpstops, but he is in love with his LED DRL's. :headbang:

small1.jpg
small2.jpg
Awesome. Really appreciate the info. I plan on doing the fender chop and running 1” spacers to start. Trying to keep it as low as possible and still be somewhat flexy. I’m leaning towards the non-beadlock machete with 4.5” BS.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. Really appreciate the info. I plan on doing the fender chop and running 1” spacers to start. Trying to keep it as low as possible and still be somewhat flexy. I’m leaning towards the non-beadlock machete with 4.5” BS.
We have some 12" travel JL shocks that compress to stock shock height sitting in the shop. I may try some 4dr JLUR springs and those shocks early next week. It would be nice if we could ditch the extended bumpstops completely and use all the available travel the shocks provide, while still maintaining a LCG.
I showed him this kit from americanventurelab and he didn't seem to object to the idea. :fingerscrossed:
IMG_20181203_075218-ANIMATION.gif

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have some 12" travel JL shocks that compress to stock shock height sitting in the shop. I may try some 4dr JLUR springs and those shocks early next week. It would be nice if we could ditch the extended bumpstops completely and use all the available travel the shocks provide, while still maintaining a LCG.
I showed him this kit from americanventurelab and he didn't seem to object to the idea. :fingerscrossed:
IMG_20181203_075218-ANIMATION.gif
Keep us posted. That will be interesting. The JLU spring thing crossed my mind as well.

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That kit makes me see no need to replace the stock fenders.
Yep. Considering most aftermarket fenders for the JL are either a) hideous or b) offer no more clearance than stock rubi fenders. Plus I actually like the stock fenders. Unlike the JK.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Yep. Considering most aftermarket fenders for the JL are either a) hideous or b) offer no more clearance than stock rubi fenders. Plus I actually like the stock fenders. Unlike the JK.

Those lights with some inner fender liners is all anyone really needs.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Installed @Artec Industries spare tire delete kit. Picking up license plate and then wiring lights. Will add red behind the Artec logo as well. Loving the clean look.

20190130_172144.jpg

20190130_171545.jpg
Dang that back end looks clean! The G003s look really good from the back
Sponsored