Soft Top Questions

giangvann

First Name
Giang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sahara Anvil Soft Top
I have a couple of questions about the new soft top. If anyone that has the current soft top can answer this, thanks!
  1. Does the rear window need to be removed for sun rider mode? I believe the manual for the current JK suggest removing the rear window for speeds greater than 55 mph. I typically just unzip the rear and let it hang internally for this purpose. Doesn't seem like it's that easy with the new one if its necessary.
  2. With current JK windows, you can roll them up. It seems the new ones have plastic supports built in. Will we now have to keep our windows straight?
  3. Anyone know when the Premium Tan top will be available? I'm looking to order a 2 door with a tan top.
Thanks!
Sponsored

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I always kept the side windows flat on both of my JKUs and the plastic looked(s) good as new. I loosely rolled my back window, but NEVER strapped it up to the roof. Just felt like that was asking to scratch them up (I mean, you breathe on the plastic windows and they scratch.)

As far as JLU, no one knows yet. Only a few members have received their dual top Jeeps and the tops were in a box.

I have a couple of questions about the new soft top. If anyone that has the current soft top can answer this, thanks!
  1. Does the rear window need to be removed for sun rider mode? I believe the manual for the current JK suggest removing the rear window for speeds greater than 55 mph. I typically just unzip the rear and let it hang internally for this purpose. Doesn't seem like it's that easy with the new one if its necessary.
  2. With current JK windows, you can roll them up. It seems the new ones have plastic supports built in. Will we now have to keep our windows straight?
  3. Anyone know when the Premium Tan top will be available? I'm looking to order a 2 door with a tan top.
Thanks!

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think the rear window needs to be opened. Honestly, not much wind comes in through the roof when the sun rider is open. Way less than if the side glass windows were down on the doors.

You can roll the side windows on the JL the other direction (not up/down but left/right) so that the plastic piece is now in the roll.

The JKs came with elastic strap(loops) you could put around the rolled up rear window to keep it rolled up. Look at any TJ/TJ that does this often and you'll see the aformentioned scratching. The JK rear window removes pretty easily. Personally I can say that the YJ rear window was a real pain to remove and therefore had to roll up. The JK rear window had a single zipper that goes around it. The Yj has three. The one across the top was obscured by the side zippers making it misery to re-attach.

The slide in windows are a dream. I'd imagine Bestop or whoever will make a window roll duffel that you can easily store the soft top windows in. I use one for my JK and never had an issue for 6 years with it.

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
Any updates on a temp storage bag or ideas. Its almost warm enough to drop the top. Need ideas where to put the windows while driving around.

My jku we have a tube bag we roll the 3 windows up in and hang off the back seat head rest.

Sponsored

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homeland security
Same, I'm in Detroit so I haven't even played with the soft top yet. But spring is around the corner and I'm going to lower the top the first warm day.

Got to have a plan for where to put the windows while cruising

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Any updates on a temp storage bag or ideas. Its almost warm enough to drop the top. Need ideas where to put the windows while driving around.

My jku we have a tube bag we roll the 3 windows up in and hang off the back seat head rest.
Been watching videos, I worry the side windows can't "loosely" fold, and that the read window can't roll up. Is this not the case?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Can I just ask my own softtop question?

I'm getting a hardtop, and Jeep hates Sport buyers so I can't option a dual top.

Anyone know if the OEM top will be available for purchase by Bestop? I'm gonna get a softtop for summer and I want a good one.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

I'm getting a hardtop, and Jeep hates Sport buyers so I can't option a dual top.

Anyone know if the OEM top will be available for purchase by Bestop? I'm gonna get a softtop for summer and I want a good one.
You will be able to buy the factory mopar soft top or a similar aftermarket top. Plan $1,500 - $2,000. Best top will offer their own version with some variations.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
You will be able to buy the factory mopar soft top or a similar aftermarket top. Plan $1,500 - $2,000. Best top will offer their own version with some variations.
Ouch. With how expensive (to me)my Wrangler build is getting, I almost wanna just pass on the hardtop and live with a softtop year round.

Sponsored

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homeland security
Detroit winters are brutal, that said I have premium soft tops year round on both jeeps.

I found the quieter than the hard top ( hard top i test plus one i owned a couples ago,had that hollow tunnel sound)

As far as cold -18 a couple weeks ago and single digits most mornings at 3am when I go to work, my butt is sweating in the jeep lol.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hy there,

We will offer an aftermarket version of the top, but it wont be available for some time. Until then you will need to purchase one directly from your dealership. *CassieAtBestop

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
While I posted this elsewhere, it seems like a good place to ask:

Why can't you order a JL soft top bag with any configuration that finds you also owning a Wrangler Premium Soft top, be up upgrade to this top from the base soft top, or acquiring the Premium Soft top directly through the Dual Top purchase option at the time of JL purchase?

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The JL comes with two straps to roll up the rear window just like my JK did. I advise against rolling the rear window up and using the straps because the straps will scuff the window as it rubs against it. It did this on my 2017 and there is no easy fix. I even bought the mopar soft window cleaner and it didn’t remove the scuffs.
Sponsored