tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Anyone out there on snowy/icy streets with Cooper STTs pls chime in. Am curious
I am running Cooper Discoverer STT Pro LT315 /70 R17 @28psi.. They perform a lot better on snowy trails than they do on snowy roads. I feel like the rear slides a lot more in the STT Pro than it does with the KO2. Conversely, I feel like the STT Pro performs in better in the rain than the KO2.. so, it is a bit of give and take.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

BillSXT2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We had probably 10 to 12 inches of snow here for the first time since I got my new JLUR, so I spent some time out exploring. My last jeep was a JKU Willys with the LSD and BFG KM mud terrain tires. I also absolutely love snow driving.

Overall, the JLUR and the KO2s impressed me very much, and in 4hi, it was an beast in all snow types and drifts. I was very impressed. I will say, in 2wd, I feel like I missed the quicker action of the Willys LSD, because it seemed to kick in before the traction control/BLD.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Apparently a couple toddlers have gotten their feelings hurt over other vehicles being more capable in the snow. Will milk and cookies help get your panties out of a bunch?
Milk & Cookies, Milk & Cookies, Milk & Cookies!!! Yes!!! :clap: Hahaha...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
16” to 18” of snow today. Took the Moab out in the middle of it for a test drive. Select-Trac and stock tires were incredible in both plowed, moderate and deep snow. Defroster and wipers worked fine and no build up on lights. Only out for an hour playing around but all systems were go!
I assume you mean limited slip, not SelecTrac? I think that's a Sahara only option. The 4wd shift lever has an extra position for an all wheel drive style setting. Instead of 2H, 4H, N and 4L it will have 2H, 4H Auto, 4H Part time, N and 4L.
Sahara with SelecTrac shift lever ↓↓↓
ztj0ynpszwpiq1uiulrt-jpg.jpg

Rubicon shift lever ↓↓↓
7ba41b62d5efad5713d35edcad8fe902x-jpg.jpg

I could be wrong. i don't know much about the Moab, that model wasn't available when I ordered mine. I'm open to learning though if you don't mind. What is different about the Moab over a regular Rubicon?

..... I think it generally comes down to defending what you bought and wanting to defend your decision. ....
This is likely a very probable in many cases. People tend to favor what they have, so they'll support it. Though some people will gladly tell you that a product they bought is no good.
For example I had Mickey Thompson MTZ on my Ram. They were great in deep snow and off road. However on the dry roads they were loud and a bit rough. I wouldn't buy them again for a daily driver.

Apparently a couple toddlers have gotten their feelings hurt over other vehicles being more capable in the snow. Will milk and cookies help get your panties out of a bunch?
Do I have to have my feelings hurt to get the milk and cookies? Because I'll take some milk and cookies too.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I assume you mean limited slip, not SelecTrac? I think that's a Sahara only option. The 4wd shift lever has an extra position for an all wheel drive style setting. Instead of 2H, 4H, N and 4L it will have 2H, 4H Auto, 4H Part time, N and 4L.
Sahara with SelecTrac shift lever ↓↓↓
ztj0ynpszwpiq1uiulrt-jpg.jpg

Rubicon shift lever ↓↓↓
7ba41b62d5efad5713d35edcad8fe902x-jpg.jpg

I could be wrong. i don't know much about the Moab, that model wasn't available when I ordered mine. I'm open to learning though if you don't mind. What is different about the Moab over a regular Rubicon?

This is likely a very probable in many cases. People tend to favor what they have, so they'll support it. Though some people will gladly tell you that a product they bought is no good.
For example I had Mickey Thompson MTZ on my Ram. They were great in deep snow and off road. However on the dry roads they were loud and a bit rough. I wouldn't buy them again for a daily driver.

Do I have to have my feelings hurt to get the milk and cookies? Because I'll take some milk and cookies too.
A Moab is a loaded Sahara with some cosmetic features. He was right to say Selec-Trac.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I see, thanks. I thought it was a Rubicon variant. Thanks for the info.

debjl2018

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have been having so much fun in Detroit at every corner. Unplowed streets, traction control off and 4H drifting
I agree....now :)

I LOVE driving in snow....I know, I’m weird.... but was a little disappointed when I took my 18JL out Saturday for my first drive in it in snow (I live in Walled Lake...we got “a few” inches Saturday ;)). It’s a 2 door if it makes any difference. Totally stock. Had it in 4H and started sliding at the first corner. My Patriot, non 4x4 with auto stick handled better. Anyway, I started using the 4H along with auto stick in the Jeep and it was better. Added 200 pounds of sand in back and now it handles great. Btw I’m a girl....be kind with your replies :like:

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Yep, in snow and on ice, I'd give Sahara with Selectrac a clear advantage. Those conditions are its forte. The fact it can lock and have that advantage, too, is gravy.
You can lock Sahara's that have Selec trac? What are the details? Just curious,

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You can lock Sahara's that have Selec trac? What are the details? Just curious,
The center differential can lock with Selectrac, so it can behave like an awd or 4wd. Some confuse that with locking differentials, like on a Rubicon, but that's not what I mean. With the center differential unlocked and the Selectrac in full time all wheel drive mode, it can be driven on dry pavement. With it locked, it is like a typical 4wd truck or all other Wranglers.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Got about 18 inches here Saturday and Sunday. 4H came in handy; stayed in 3rd (manual) most of the time. The only really hard part was getting the snow off my rig before I could go anywhere.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Carlton, did your JK's have limited slip? what do you think accounts for the difference in traction? Also what do you think made the Ram so much better?

DanB

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Commodities trading
I have a 2018 JL on OEM tires, 2011 Pilot on new OEM tires, and a 2014 Sti on 2 year old General Altimax Artic tires with maybe 5K hard miles on them.

The Subaru is far better until the snow gets to be about 8". The Pilot is 2nd best and then finally the Jeep.

The Subaru is on dedicated snow tires so that is easy to explain. The Pilot is better because tires are pretty equal to the OEM Jeep tires but the AWD system is better plus it weight a LOT more.

Now, if it gets over 12" and/or I need to navigate bad terrain there is no comparison. If we get hit with an apocalypse I would take the Jeep without hesitation.
Sponsored