Sponsored

JL GPS Navigation is a total waste of money!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Shots

As a 70 year old, not a sales guy / not a millennial, I ............. Suggest you give Android Auto with Google Maps or Waze a chance....

Can tell you that the JL's 8.4 radio truly shines lets say, when using either Google Maps or Waze.

A vehicles built in Nav working alone or someones dash attached, Garmin GPS unit pales in comparison to Google Maps and Waze.

I used to be a Garmin GPS fan, but no way, now a days.. Reality is, there is no comparison to Goggle Maps or Waze.

No way, will I ever again, pay FCA, Garmin, etc. for Map upgrading every couple of years or so.

I travel thousands of miles on the interstates monthly, and rely on Google Maps and Waze heavily. Would be at a real loss ... lost without them. Also carry my Android Smart Phone (Samsung S8) everywhere...

By the way, cell service is not necessary in regard to Google Maps. All the maps, for wherever you travel, can be easily had at no cost and they download to the smart phone in minutes.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I actually tired AndroidAuto once. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, or maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough. Either way, I was far from impressed. It was supposed to let you hear and reply to texts through the apps on my Jeep and phone, but I couldn't get it to do anything useful. It just seemed like it was offering the exact same services that Uconnect was, which work flawlessly for me. If there's some sort of walk through, or tips on how to use the features I'll give it another try. It would be nice to use free apps once the free Uconnect expires. Based on my previous attempt though, I'm inclined to pay for Uconnect so far.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
The heck with that. When we bought my wife's Renegade, we told the salesman we wanted navigation, and those two stupid apps were his recommended solution. He even said, manufacturers aren't installing navigators anymore because people just use their phones. He then goes on to brag about how great Carplay and AndroidAuto were. They're rubbish
I don't always have my phone on me, and even if I did, I don't want to have to rely on having a cell signal. Instead, we found a Limited with the larger radio AND a navigation system. On my JL, I got the 8.4 with Nav and love it. Much easier to see routes, notifications, traffic alerts, etc on a large screen, which also pop up on the gauge cluster.
Car play projects to my 8.4 screen, I can use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze etc, full screen with my phone in center console. Voice commands with Siri. Also use my phone for work and personal use so it is always with me. This is 2019 after all.

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
The problem I have with Jeep factory Nav(I have it on the Grand Cherokee) is that they will ask you to pay if you ever want the maps updated. I skipped that option on the JL order.
On my old Garmin, atleast there was one free update per year.

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
The nav is no better in cities. I swear the thing is drunk or lost! I’ve tried to get to locations in Boston, and was sent hither and yon, down side streets & alleys, when direct route options were disregarded. I’m not sure how the nav system selects its routes, but there needs to be a bit more intelligence involved. While the system may be trying to cut a tenth of a mile off a journey or something, sometimes more direct routes are faster and safer.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
I've used a GPS system since it was available to the public. My first Garmin was a Garmin 45 purchased in 1996. I got the NAV in my 2019 Rubicon knowing it was only good to get from a single point A to a single point B and is a pain to even program that. No NAV system provided by any manufacturer is capable of doing much more. I have a Garmin 61 mounted in my Rubicon as well. I use the Garmin 61 on any trip and especially doing any offroad. The advantage of the external GPS is that you can plan multiple routes with multiple waypoints on your computer and upload them to the external GPS. No internal system can do this that I am aware of. In addition with the money you pay just for the update on the internal system you can buy 2-3 top of the line Garmin units that have Free (4 times a year) LIFETIME UPDATES-TRAFFIC & WEATHER on all of them. The internal NAV may have the same maps as the external, but do not have anywhere near the capabilities of an external unit. In addition there are many sites on the internet that have free .gpx files available for download for trails all over the US. You simply import these into the external GPS-no internal NAV system can do this. Fun Trex off road guides (and otheres) have great off road trails and provide downloadable files that you can upload to your external GPS-no way to do that with the near worthless NAV system in Jeep or any other manufacturer. Nuff said...

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I've used a GPS system since it was available to the public. My first Garmin was a Garmin 45 purchased in 1996. I got the NAV in my 2019 Rubicon knowing it was only good to get from a single point A to a single point B and is a pain to even program that. No NAV system provided by any manufacturer is capable of doing much more. I have a Garmin 61 mounted in my Rubicon as well. I use the Garmin 61 on any trip and especially doing any offroad. The advantage of the external GPS is that you can plan multiple routes with multiple waypoints on your computer and upload them to the external GPS. No internal system can do this that I am aware of. In addition with the money you pay just for the update on the internal system you can buy 2-3 top of the line Garmin units that have Free (4 times a year) LIFETIME UPDATES-TRAFFIC & WEATHER on all of them. The internal NAV may have the same maps as the external, but do not have anywhere near the capabilities of an external unit. In addition there are many sites on the internet that have free .gpx files available for download for trails all over the US. You simply import these into the external GPS-no internal NAV system can do this. Fun Trex off road guides (and otheres) have great off road trails and provide downloadable files that you can upload to your external GPS-no way to do that with the near worthless NAV system in Jeep or any other manufacturer. Nuff said...
@sheram is correct that if you're going to run off-road trails, you're going to need something besides the GPS unit built into any vehicle. The dash mounted GPS units (Garmin, Magellan, etc) also will NOT work appropriately for off-road trails. You need something that will upload third party maps and .gpx files.

The simple answer is to use the handheld GPS unit that most of us have been using for hiking, camping, hunting, etc. However, just to take it one step more, another neat option is your cell phone or tablet ... could be that old one that is hiding in a drawer someplace. Download one of the three most popular mapping apps ... Backcountry Navigator, Gaia, or Locus Map. All three will work on an android product, but Gaia is the only one to work on iOS. All three are heavily into hiking and other off-road activities so show most off-road trails. Download their maps or third party maps and you're good to go even if the cell service craps out. For a fee, Gaia has a ton of detailed maps ... more than you'll ever need. Upload a .gpx file from an off-road website - TrailsOffRoad, Jeep the USA, FunTreks - or your local club and you're really ready to go.

I use the onboard FCA unit to get me to the trailhead, and then switch over to my old smartphone with Locus Map installed to navigate the trails. I have a map of Arizona downloaded to the phone plus all of the TrailsOffRoad and FunTreks trails. I'm working on getting all of the Jeep the USA trails sorted out to download to my phone. If I'm going someplace where there is not a published trail, I use Google Earth to create a trail and then convert it into a .gpx file to upload to my phone. Waiting on 67Designs to sell their promised large universal mount so I can upgrade to a small android tablet. The tablet cost me ~$110 ... much cheaper than a new GPS unit.

BTW ... I use Locus Map because it's the only one that will handle Geocaches appropriately. Gaia (a little more expensive and a little easier to learn) seems to be the choice of folks who Overland ... it has a feature that allows for route planning on your computer. Then that information is automatically stored in the cloud and available to all of your Gaia installed units.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
I've never had any issues with any of my Garmin external GPS units on any trail. I have never seen a trail that did not show on the Garmin external map. I've used them for more than 20 years without any issue on a trail or otherwise. Using a cell phone/tablet is an option, however the Garmin BaseMap or even their older software Mapsource loaded on your computer will give you more options than you can find elsewhere.

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've never had any issues with any of my Garmin external GPS units on any trail. I have never seen a trail that did not show on the Garmin external map. I've used them for more than 20 years without any issue on a trail or otherwise. Using a cell phone/tablet is an option, however the Garmin BaseMap or even their older software Mapsource loaded on your computer will give you more options than you can find elsewhere.
We carry a multitude of GPS type units in the Jeep ... two Garmin 450s, one inReach, three smart phones with Locus Map installed. With that many different options, I've never checked to see which is the best. Between them, we seem to know where we're at all of the time. The problem with the 450s is that their screen is much smaller than I like while driving. The smart phone is better from that standpoint and I'm really looking forward to the 7" tablet.

Look at the maps available for Gaia Pro ... you might be surprised at what is available.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@sheram ... quick question. Are you using Garmin's City Navigator North America as your active map or are you using a third party map? GPSFile Depot has some great maps for Garmin products. The Arizona Topo map is active on all of my handhelds and contains most of the back roads.

Thanks for prodding me ... had not thought about trying to get Arizona Topo installed on Locus Map or Gaia Pro.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Google is great. All vehicle systems or mostly outdated unless your vehicle has constant WiFi such as Tesla, BMW, Mercedes
My Tesla is always updated and no its not a monthly charge.
My Rubicon is good no complaints works even better using Google plug in the phone or download the maps.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Car makers can stop installing map systems if they include Apple or Android play. The map on my phone updates continually.
Most cell phone navigation systems are useless without a cell phone signal… something common to most off-road trails.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Most cell phone navigation systems are useless without a cell phone signal… something common to most off-road trails.
@COBill

Actually, what you state is not correct anymore. With Google Maps you can easily download all the maps in regard to the region you are traveling. Doing this takes mere minutes to do.

With the maps downloaded to the smart phone you are able to use Google Maps in areas with no "cell phone signal".

No, I am not saying Google Maps is the go to for off road navigation.
Sponsored