iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am gearing up to place my order in the next month or two, and will probably end up out of state since the dealers in Memphis are notorious for demanding sticker price on Jeeps. So, I have a few questions:

1. Will the out of state dealer handle the titling, or will I need to do that after the sale?

2. If they don’t, how long do you have to get the vehicle titled in your home state?

3. How is sales tax handled?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am gearing up to place my order in the next month or two, and will probably end up out of state since the dealers in Memphis are notorious for demanding sticker price on Jeeps. So, I have a few questions:

1. Will the out of state dealer handle the titling, or will I need to do that after the sale?

2. If they don’t, how long do you have to get the vehicle titled in your home state?

Varies by state. Are you paying cash, leasing or financing? Generally you pay the sales tax in the state you register it in so people can't buy in a no sales tax state to avoid taxes. Ask your dealer how they are required to title it because it can take one to two weeks to get the MSO from the manufacturer. They may need to do a temporary title in their state and then you have to have title transferred to your state when registering. Best to ask the dealer and your DMV or Treasurer for the exact procedure for your circumstance. There is no standard for time to register mine is 30 days in Iowa it is 45 days.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
You pay the tax for your county when you sign the paperwork. Make sure the finance manager gets this right. Depending on where you live, different counties may have higher or lower sales tax, this is still the case when buying in your home state. The dealer then sends the sale paperwork to your DMV. You go to the DMV and pay the registration and get your tags.

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase

1- They should give you the paperwork and send you the title or copy with the lien.
3- In Texas, we paid the sales tax when we registered it.

OP
OP

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone! That is helpful!

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Different everywhere I guess.

Everyones financial concerns when buying a new car are different. Some need a monthly payment within a given range and are less concerned with overall cost. Others the monthly amount is less of a concern and they want the lowest total cost and lowest interest amount and would rather pay a higher monthly payment.
Salesmen take note of this and ask you things like "so do you have a monthly amount you need to be at?"
Then they jockey the numbers to get you where you want to be making the loan 72 months vice 60.

I like to remove all the options a salesmen may try to negotiate and save a lot of time as well. If you have a good credit score it helps also.

Easiest car purchase I've ever done. Got pre approved at my credit union @ 2.1% for the sticker price of the car by getting the price on the internet. I knew what my monthly payment and total cost would be at that price and knew i could afford it at that price, and would negotiate down from there.

I called the dealer and made an offer below the already discounted price that was 4K below sticker. Once price was agreed on I gave them a debit card # and paid a $500 deposit.

I bought the car in Vermont. I told them when i'd be there. I gave them a credit union check.
They gave me a 60 day temp plate. I signed the docs and they gave me a Cert of Origin and title app paper work for my State. When I registered in Maine I paid the Reg fee, and Excise tax, and paid the sales tax to the town office where registered and showed them the title app with the bank as lien holder. Then I took the Cert of Origin to the credit union. The bank sends you the title they get from your state and they give it to me after payoff.

It was easy and the credit union financed the whole amount + tax. Sales Tax amount of around 1800 was transferred to my acct and balance on a bank check in the dealer name, handed to me for bill of sale amount.
i handed the dealer a check, Signed the docs and was out of the dealer in less than 30 Minutes. No haggling with the salesmen with anything except the bottom line price. All they could do was give me one number.

Last edited:

DTBerry

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara

Something I experienced was that I purchased the Jeep in Ga. 15 miles south of my home in NC. I go to License it in NC and they told me before I can license it.
NC - "You need to have it inspected"
Me - "You have to be kidding right? A Brand New Vehicle?
NC - "Yes, we do not recognize GA Inspection Requirements"

So I took it to a Authorized NC Inspection Service Station. He was enamored by the new jeep. He just opened the hood and looked and closed the hood, then checked off all the items. Majority of the items on the Inspection sheet are not under the hood. Such a Rip-Off.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What did they charge for that inspection??

OP
OP

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Something I experienced was that I purchased the Jeep in Ga. 15 miles south of my home in NC. I go to License it in NC and they told me before I can license it.
NC - "You need to have it inspected"
Me - "You have to be kidding right? A Brand New Vehicle?
NC - "Yes, we do not recognize GA Inspection Requirements"

So I took it to a Authorized NC Inspection Service Station. He was enamored by the new jeep. He just opened the hood and looked and closed the hood, then checked off all the items. Majority of the items on the Inspection sheet are not under the hood. Such a Rip-Off.
Wow, I can’t believe they required an inspection on a new vehicle. In Tn, inspection requirements are determined by each local government. Memphis stopped requiring inspections several years ago.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup

try Beaman in Murfreesboro, or Freeland in Nashville. Back last spring both were offering below invoice. They might keep you in state. I ended up doing Beaman at about six % under invoice, but that was ten months ago. Can’t say what they’ll do now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
try Beaman in Murfreesboro, or Freeland in Nashville. Back last spring both were offering below invoice. They might keep you in state. I ended up doing Beaman at about six % under invoice, but that was ten months ago. Can’t say what they’ll do now.
I was looking at Freeland and another in AR. I will of course give the local guys a chance, but’s odds are I’ll be driving to place the order. I’ve seen several post Freeland and Superior in Conway as quoting 5-6% below invoice.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am gearing up to place my order in the next month or two, and will probably end up out of state ...
I had a similar issue but I live in California and was buying in Nevada. I ended up writing up a thing on buying in Nevada if you live in California. It probably doesn't apply because um well different states and all, but it might give you some ideas: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/socal-by-way-of-vegas.8801/#post-199603

Also, I ended up buying in California anyway even though the dealers around me all do "list or no deal" pricing. If you get a Tread Lightly membership (tax deductible if you still itemize), you can walk in asking for the deal at 1% off invoice. I took that into one of the aforementioned dealers and basically asked for 2% off with a guarantee I would put nearly 40% down and at least TRY their financing (if they could have beat my bank, I would have given them the loan - but they couldn't). Then I cleared off my favorite "cash back" credit card and ran it up to the limit with the "cash down," then paid it off the next day - so I managed to get 3% off my down payment.

I know it doesn't sound like it - but there was no haggling really. I just walked in with the order printed out, and the amount I was going to pay highlighted along with my Tread Lightly membership number. I was just all "Feel free to run the numbers, I think this is a fair price and while I'd like to order the Jeep here, if you can't accept this deal, I'll just go down to the dealer 5 miles away."

Good luck!

IrishJax

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I was looking at Freeland and another in AR. I will of course give the local guys a chance, but’s odds are I’ll be driving to place the order. I’ve seen several post Freeland and Superior in Conway as quoting 5-6% below invoice.
I’m in Memphis and Kim from Superior has been pretty decent, mentioned the forum and got 6% in right away, just the wait for the delivery has been a pain. Low doc fees and since they don’t collect state tax she just advise to pay when I register in Memphis.
Was also able to do it all through email so the only trip I gotta make is to pick it up.

OP
OP

iPooted83

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in Memphis and Kim from Superior has been pretty decent, mentioned the forum and got 6% in right away, just the wait for the delivery has been a pain. Low doc fees and since they don’t collect state tax she just advise to pay when I register in Memphis.
Was also able to do it all through email so the only trip I gotta make is to pick it up.
Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind. I’d prefer to roll the tax into the loan if I can, but it’s good to hear that they worked well for you. :)

cbr954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Acadia Ford Edge
You pay the tax for your county when you sign the paperwork. Make sure the finance manager gets this right. Depending on where you live, different counties may have higher or lower sales tax, this is still the case when buying in your home state. The dealer then sends the sale paperwork to your DMV. You go to the DMV and pay the registration and get your tags.
Lol, nothing about that is accurate for a purchase or registration of a vehicle in Missouri.

It varies by state.

Here you don't pay the tax untill you go to the DMV. The dealer has absolutely no involvement. You bring the paperwork, they send nothing.
Sponsored