Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, the last few days it's been really cold here (Single digits) and when I get into the Jeep, I plug my phone into the USB2 connection in the console to charge and use apple car play. When I get home (10ish minute drive), it is almost dead (from 40% when I leave work down to 2% when I walk through the door at home). I know that the cold weather does this to batteries sometimes but this seems excessive.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Yes. I don't get any charging function from the dash USB port. I had to run a longer cable from inside the center consol.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, no charging when connected for Carplay or Android Auto? Sounds like only way to charge and walk is with a wireless charge pad while connected for ACP and AA.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yes. I don't get any charging function from the dash USB port. I had to run a longer cable from inside the center consol.
interesting. My issue is from the center console. I'm getting barely any charge there. If i want to charge, I have to run a cable to the 12V outlet with a turbo car charger and connect via Bluetooth.

Side question: Am I correct to understand that you can't use Apple Carplay/ Android Auto functionality via Bluetooth? Is there a way to activate that?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My 2019 charges fine through the center console USB port in the media hub. Apple CarPlay via lightning cable.
So, would this be a hardware issue or a software issue if I'm not getting a decent charge? I only ask because I assume it would be hardware (vehicle electronics system) but my last Jeep was a 2004 and barely had any software.

As someone with a technician background, my first thought would be to grab a multimeter and check the voltage coming from that plug. Anyone know if this would work? or does the USB actually have to be plugged in?

I've worked with computers and equipment, and I've worked with Jeeps, but never both at this level.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OK, So I did a little testing today after work.

~10* F outside and snowing like a howler monkey.
Phone is at 48% after a 12 hour shift at work.
Jeep is warmed up to operating temp (after cleaning off snow, letting it run with the heat on).

3 Inputs:
USB1 (dashboard)
USB2 (Console)
Bluetooth (Plugged into Belkin 12V "Turbo charger" in the 12 V Outlet)

1 control- Phone plugged into the Belkin charger in the 12V outlet with Bluetooth off, charging only.

Results:
After 10 minutes of use in USB 1 with Apple Car play, phone was down to 5% charge- same as the USB2 in the console.
Went into the store, left the phone plugged into the 12V charger. Came back roughly 10 mins later: Phone is at 30% charge. Turned on bluetooth and used the media setting set to bluetooth. After about another 10 minutes of use: Phone went from 30% to 1%.
Plugged phone into wall "Turbo Charger" at home and within an hour, it was fully charged.

I'm guessing this has to be a software issue, either with car play or the phone. I checked with my wife (2015 Rav4, no Apple car play, same phone model and OS) and she doesn't have this issue. I checked with a buddy from work (2015 JKU Sport, no Android Auto) and he said he has the same issue- When he is using his phone linked with his stereo, it doesn't charge well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a TSB, or software update? IS there a setting somewhere I need to change?

@Jeep noob- Did you have to change any settings? what model iPhone, if you don't mind me asking. Mine is a 6s running the most recent update

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When I posted that mine charges fine in the “center console”, I actually have it plugged into what you’ve labeled USB 1 (dashboard). The USB outlet behind the cover labeled “Media” just to the right of the window switches. Sorry for any confusion I. It’s an iPhone 6s Plus with latest iOS software update. Vehicle is a 2019 JLUR with infotainment pkg.
Jeep Wrangler JL Console USB Charging- weak? {filename}

BillSXT2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine seems to charge fine from all of the ports so far. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with USBc. I'm not sure if it is marketing or what, but I've heard that for USBc charging, having a quality in-spec cable is important. Could you have one that isn't in spec?

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Something to consider, I remember reading somewhere that you should only use “official” Apple lightning cables. For whatever reason some of the unofficial cables may cause issues with Apple Car Play and charging if it’s not MFI certified. I for one use the cable that came with my phone and I have zero issues with charging in any of the USB ports in my JL. This webpage may help you understanding the difference in the official vs. non-official cables
https://www.mobilereviews-eh.ca/not-all-apple-lightning-cables-are-created-equal/

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interesting. I'm going to try swapping out my cheapo cable for an OEM cable and see what happens. Will report back. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Convenience store lifhtning cables sometimes don’t charge at all when connected through vehicle USB ports. I’ve dealt with this in my F150. Same port works great with a genuine Apple cable or a quality aftermarket one like Anker.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the coolest gadgets ever: https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-Multimeter-Chargers-Capacity-Banks-Black/dp/B01D9Y6ZFW

Plug it into a USB port and it will tell you the Volts/Amps. You could use a voltmeter, but for $10 this thing is awesome and something that gets used from out of my junk drawer at home at least once a month.

That said, some Apps drain battery excessively and I don't know Apple Carplay (I write software for Android though), but perhaps an update was to blame. As others suggested, cables can absolutely be finicky and cause a lack of charging. Cold will also affect batteries, but this is pretty unlikely given the drain you illustrate.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
When I use the USB-C port with Android Auto going, my phone always ends up with a full charge if I drive for 15-20 minutes or more.

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
When I use the USB-C port with Android Auto going, my phone always ends up with a full charge if I drive for 15-20 minutes or more.
Me too. I can actually guarantee that when running Android Auto, you are still getting charge properly. All bets are off with Carplay - I know nothin' about that.
Sponsored