Minimalist (yet complete) tool set

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
How about a hot link to the JL quick-reference-chart. Several of us don't seem to be able to navigate the site.
That was a link to where I saw the JL items. Not sure what the problem is.
Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
@Jondrew ... your screen capture from a few posts up shows the same data as my screen capture ... namely this:

Wrong Torques.jpg

I have my 2018 JL entered into the data bank, but the "Quick Reference Chart" only shows JK lug nut size and torques. The JL is 22mm and 130 ft. lbs. ... thus, the question to @Tech Tim ... where is the JL chart!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Get one of these, a small extension and a 7/8" 6pt socket, doesn't take up much room, and much easier to torque those lug nuts "properly" to 130 ft. lbs if you need to hit up your spare vs. that emergency lug wrench. And more leverage to loosen the lug nuts too!
With coupons you can get these for $10 and they have a slim plastic case for easy storage.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html
Here's a recent coupon
24.jpg

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Being a Buddist, and as such living a minimalist life, I meditate knowing the universe will provide me with anything I need for any situation. Plus I push the roadside assistance button.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Being a Buddist, and as such living a minimalist life, I meditate knowing the universe will provide me with anything I need for any situation. Plus I push the roadside assistance button.
You had better be copacetic within the Buddist world if your Jeep goes down in many places out here in the south-west. I checked to see if the roadside assistance button used a cellular or satellite infrastructure to provide help. Turns out it needs an active cellular signal ... as well as, a functioning electrical system. Guess I won't count on those folks for help out in the desert. The New River Trail has no cell phone coverage forr about 25 miles. Many other trails are also void of technology.

Requirements:

> This feature is available only on vehicles sold in the US

> Vehicle must be properly equipped with the Uconnect Access System

> Vehicle must be in range of a usable and authorized cellular signal

> Vehicle must be registered with Uconnect Access and have an active subscription that includes the applicable feature or App

> Vehicle must be powered in the ON/RUN or ACC (Accessory) position with a properly functioning electrical system

I seem to follow a modified version of your approach. First is a constant prayer that the Jeep doesn't breakdown. If it does breakdown, then out come the tools. If it's really broken, then out comes my Gamin inReach with my two kids and their Jeeps on the other end.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You had better be copacetic within the Buddist world if your Jeep goes down in many places out here in the south-west. I checked to see if the roadside assistance button used a cellular or satellite infrastructure to provide help. Turns out it needs an active cellular signal ... as well as, a functioning electrical system. Guess I won't count on those folks for help out in the desert. The New River Trail has no cell phone coverage forr about 25 miles. Many other trails are also void of technology.

Requirements:

> This feature is available only on vehicles sold in the US

> Vehicle must be properly equipped with the Uconnect Access System

> Vehicle must be in range of a usable and authorized cellular signal

> Vehicle must be registered with Uconnect Access and have an active subscription that includes the applicable feature or App

> Vehicle must be powered in the ON/RUN or ACC (Accessory) position with a properly functioning electrical system

I seem to follow a modified version of your approach. First is a constant prayer that the Jeep doesn't breakdown. If it does breakdown, then out come the tools. If it's really broken, then out comes my Gamin inReach with my two kids and their Jeeps on the other end.
My son, the universe always provides. In some cases it may provide 2 years of waiting to be found but at least your body will eventually be found. Oh yeah, I forgot about those 2 bags of tools I have in the back but I think the universe provided those.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
@Tech Tim ... where is the JL chart!
Sorry everybody, I was down playing in the AZ desert this past week, just got back into the office today.

Let me check into this and see what I can find!

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
We haven't compiled a JL Nut & Bolt chart, I added in the lug nut specs and will go through the list over the next few days and update it where needed.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 9.28.51 AM.png

If anyone has a specific bolt torque they want, let me know.

Last edited:

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We haven't compiled a JL Nut & Bolt chart, I added in the lug nut specs and will go through the list over the next few days and update it where needed.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 9.28.51 AM.png

If anyone has a specific bolt torque they want, let me know.
Hey Tim,

Jay has been kind enough to post the JL bolt torque values straight from the service manual: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/resources/torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.15/

Unfortunately the service manual pages don't list the bolt/nut size! The question most of us are focused on in this thread is bolt/nut size. In my case, I'd like to carry what's needed without making it look like a mechanic's service truck. Can I leave fractional wrenches/sockets home? Is 22mm for the lugs the largest socket I'll reasonably need? Etc...

Thanks for the JK chart, that's good info.

Cheers,
Tom

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Umm, third row seat?

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am curious, do you really want to load up on Harbor Freight stuff for a trail tool bag? I think of you are in a tough spot you want to be pretty sure that tools won’t fail. Aren’t HF tools pretty prone to fail?

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I am curious, do you really want to load up on Harbor Freight stuff for a trail tool bag? I think of you are in a tough spot you want to be pretty sure that tools won’t fail. Aren’t HF tools pretty prone to fail?
The hand tools are fine for the most part. I have a full set of their impact sockets (HF Pro), breaker bar, HF Pro 1/2 rachet, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers in my trail bag. I've never broken any of these things, nor have I seen anyone else except those who try to do silly stuff, like put a 4' cheater pipe on a ratchet. Any brand will break if you use it incorrectly.

HF has some stuff to be avoided but their Pro line is pretty solid, and the price is hard to beat. I just don't see any point to bring $1000 worth of tools with me everywhere in essentially a convertible. I probably have $200 in the tools, so if some get stolen, I won't feel nearly as badly as if it were the Nepros I keep at home.

I do carry a Makita impact when I go on the trails, that's one thing I do not cheap out on.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Have had HF floor jacks, jack stands, compressors, sockets, etc for many years, none have ever failed. There are products like their strut spring compressors that could kill you, so you need to use judgement there :)

For a basic trail kit their hand tools (including the torque wrench I posted above) are more than adequate.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
That’s all good to know. I was under the impression that their stuff was complete junk. I stand corrected.
Sponsored